Thai Appetizer ...

oldbaldgoat, Jan 15, 10:55am
Im playing host to a Thai couple in a few days (Friends of my husband) and Im hoping to give them a small taste of home while theyre here; obviously I cant replicate the true taste sensation of a home cooked Thai experience having no experience at all.

I was thinking maybe an appetizer just to spice things up and I found this on a great website that has quite a few unique recipes:

http://www.recipes101.org/2011/01/galloping-horses-thai-appetizer.html

What do you guys think? any better suggestions? I just dont want to embarrass myself! :p

sumstyle, Jan 15, 6:11pm
that particular recipe looks easy enough,never heard of it before.

olwen, Jan 15, 6:28pm
Are you sure it wouldn't be a better idea to give a real taste of New Zealand, even if you used some Thai seasonings, maybe something like scallops or mussels with a thai sauce.

If you want to go for a Thai starter fresh spring rolls are a thought http://www.grouprecipes.com/29809/fresh-spring-rolls-with-thai-dipping-sauce.htmlYou want rice paper wrappers for these.I've seen the wrappers in the supermarket made by Exotic Food.

davidt4, Jan 15, 9:14pm
That Galloping Horses recipe is over-simplified and I don't think would be very tasty.Thai food is subtle and complex in its flavourings and if you have no experience of cooking it or even eating it I think you would be better to focus on real NZ food.You obviously don't want to insult your guests by presenting a travesty of their cuisine.

oldbaldgoat, Jan 16, 4:31am
Haha, yes thats right, hence the consultation of you guys. I think il roast lamb I can do that well, I have no idea whether the thai recipe I provided was typical or not, do you think it is? despite its odd combination of citrus fruit and meat :p

oldbaldgoat, Jan 16, 4:32am
At the end of the day its only a couple of mates eating dinner, hardly a cause for angst, just interested in their cuisine more than anything

davidt4, Jan 16, 4:39am
It's a more of a restaurant dish than something that would be served at home, but made well it is great.The pork mixture really needs to have shrimp paste and/or fish sauce to balance the flavours.Thai food is all about balancing hot/sour/sweet/salt tastes and it takes experience to end up with something really delicious.

Also, most Thai restaurants in NZ serve NZ versions of Thai food, with much less chilli and more sugar than you would get in Thailand.

Do check first if your guests enjoy lamb because many people from Asian countries don't like the smell of it.If there's no polite way of finding out then a big free range organic chicken might be a better idea.Here's a recipe for chicken roasted with herbs and butter:

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=295:chicken-roasted-with-tarragon-and-butter&catid=38:main-courses-poultry&Itemid=61

oldbaldgoat, Jan 16, 4:58am
Ah Ok thanks! I think i'll leave it for now, maybe ill ask them if they have any great thai recipes; probably a good place to start... Will check if they like lamb (But love chicken with tarragon ;)

oldbaldgoat, Jan 17, 6:27am
They loved the lamb and gave me a few tasty thai ideas :) Thanks guys!

davidt4, Feb 8, 2:40am
That's great.Can you tell us about their ideas for Thai food?