Pad thai - is it easy to make?

Page 1 / 2
kiwifidget, Nov 5, 7:14am
Having mastered macaroni cheese and chicken nibbles, I was wondering how easy it is to make my favourite take-away, pad thai, at home. Recipes and tips gratefully appreciated.

davidt4, Nov 5, 7:34am
Pad Thai

600g med.rice noodles, cooked & cooled (or 200g dried)
300g prawns, peeled
1/4 c oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 c salted radish, finely chopped
2tab sugar
3 tab fish sauce
1 tab tamarind purée
1 tsp chilli flakes
4 eggs
3 c bean sprouts
½ c Chinese chives
½ c dried shrimp, finely chopped
½ c peanuts, roasted & crushed

coriander leaves & lime wedges to garnish

Heat oil in large wok or frying pan, add garlic and radish, stir-fry 2 min.Add prawns and stir until cooked.Add sugar, fish sauce, tamarind and chilli flakes and stir well. Add eggs and stir, noodles, stir over high heat 2 min [add warm water if too sticky].Add half bean sprouts, chives and dried shrimps, stir fry 2 min.Sprinkle with peanuts, arrange on serving dish, rest of bean sprouts on top, coriander and lime.

jaydan1, Nov 5, 7:42am
Really basic, we buy the pre made noodles from our local supermarket. You can find it in the International isle. Comes with the flavour sachet and easy ingredients and directions. It's pretty dam good too.

kiwifidget, Nov 5, 9:06am
hmmm, complex looking recipe, how much time should I allow?

ferita, Nov 5, 4:41pm
you have to cook it hot and fast or its no good and the noodles go gluggy

sumstyle, Nov 5, 6:39pm
O it's a Great recipe and once you have all the ingredients it is so fast to make.I paid $19 for pad thai goong about a month ago, and then Dt4 helped me with learning to make it myself and I won't be buying it every again!!

uli, Nov 5, 7:55pm
Very simple really - the secret is to cook the noodles in the morning, and let them dry in the colander in the fridge until you need them, so they are really cool and really dry.

Cooking time is about 7 minutes, preparation maybe 15 to 30 minutes - depending on where the stuff comes from - if you have to walk to the garden to harvest and clean :)

Give it a go - you will never buy it again!

motorbo, Nov 5, 8:26pm
that looks delish, thanks im going to make that

elliehen, Nov 5, 11:47pm
motorbo, davidt4's Asian recipes are worth saving.Some will disappear and become harder to find (unless you've saved and can easily access the withdrawn tradmecooks website).

I suggest if you want more, that you put her username into the search field, click anytime, and look for others if you're an aficionado.

kiwifidget, Nov 6, 6:07am
I dont like prawns, can I use chicken instead?

uli, Nov 6, 6:18am
Yep - can't see why not ...

unknowndisorder, Nov 6, 7:45am
Thank you for that Uli. I tried making it a while back and thought the reason it turned to mush was wrong pan, but would've been a combination of noodles too moist, wrong pan, not enough heat after reading your post.

uli, Nov 6, 9:12pm
Yep noodles need to be dry and cold - the same for fried rice actually ...

motorbo, Nov 7, 8:00pm
any hints or tips, i made it last night and though the flavour was nice it was all too sticky what did i do wrong.???

davidt4, Nov 7, 8:08pm
Sounds like too much liquid.Either the noodles were overcooked or the wok wasn't hot enough, or maybe too large a quantity for the size of your wok.

uli, Nov 7, 8:09pm
Overcooked the noodles?

motorbo, Nov 7, 10:06pm
thanks ladies, im thinking now too many noodles and maybe i needed to drain them and cool them a bit before adding, it still tasted good but glad i wasnt making it for guests lol

maxwell.inc, Nov 7, 10:26pm
yup as the instructions up there said.. the noodles need to be cooked prior (ie in the morning), drained and cooled in the fridge.

Better luck next time :o)

motorbo, Nov 7, 10:42pm
ha ha wopps, i should have known that, i used my annabel langbein book and it didnt say that

uli, Nov 8, 4:57am
Aye?
You wanted to make davidt4's recipe above - at least that is what you posted - then I added the above re the noodles - so nobody would make any mistakes - so where was the problem?

Seems like you went and took an entirely different recipe (from Mrs long leg) - and then come here to complain it didn't work out?

Go figure motorbo.

motorbo, Nov 8, 6:22am
christ your rude

i wasnt complaining at all, as it happens i didnt print the recipe off and when i made the pad thai i wasnt near a computer to access trademe ,i always appriecate Davidt4`s contributions on the boards i find them a very nice person, unlike some. but now ive said this you will just continue to pick on me wont you.

uli, Nov 8, 6:24am
So you think I am rude to point out that you made a completely different recipe to the one given above - which you said you will cook - then come back to complain it didn't work out ... now who is rude ... or even has no idea about normal behaviour ... ???

motorbo, Nov 8, 7:25am
pad thai is pad thai, i was engaging in conversation omg what a sin, you know Uli your the 2nd on the list now Buzzy being no 1, that has ruined for me a damn fun place , im glad i meet some nice people here though but i think i will just stay away now chat in general cos you dont seem to be there, think very hard about your actions and how they can hurt people, you know what goes around comes around

motorbo, Nov 8, 7:27am
thanks DavidT4 sorry if i offended you that was not my intention

i will keep reading the recipe threads cos i luv it and the great recipes and discussions on recipes

melissaliam, Nov 17, 9:52pm
MY GOODNESS that was amazing!!!!
I have passed it on to all my friends!

Thank you x