Thai - Tom Yum soup, using paste.

papariccardo, Apr 6, 1:46am
Anyone done this? I found the paste at a shop this week. I'm guessing I just add 'a little more' to a decent prawn or fish stock until it tastes right, then add the 'shrooms, prawns etc.

Sound right?

beaker59, Apr 6, 1:49am
sounds like a good place to start, I reckon.

k1andb2, Apr 6, 4:27am
I would fry it first, to release the oils and it makes the flavour taste better, then add the stock together with any veges if using, bring to the boil, simmer until the veges are cooked, then add the prawns etc in the last 5 mins or so as they don't need as much cooking.

bailey25, Apr 6, 10:41pm
Yup, fry first with the meat if you are using chicken or beef, then stock/coconut cream and veges - i do cherry tomatoes and mushrooms, then add loads more chilli for us. Boil eggs, and cut in half and place at the bottom of your bowl, add udon noodles to your bowl and pour soup over top. OMG Super duper divine.

papariccardo, Apr 6, 11:15pm
Super duper divine - that pretty much is Thai food in a nutshell!

Tom Yum, Pad Thai, Green Curry, mango & coconut - damn, I miss the night markets & local restaurants throughout that country!

k1andb2, Apr 7, 4:27am
I would fry it first, to release the oils and it makes the flavour taste better, then add the stock together with any veges if using, bring to the boil, simmer until the veges are cooked, then add the prawns etc in the last 5 mins or so as they don't need as much cooking.