Cakes

Page 12 / 28
cookessentials, Apr 17, 8:12am
Vienna Cakes 185g butter,softened;1/2 tsp vanilla;1/2 cup icing sugar,sifted;1 3/4 cups flour;extra sifted icing sugar;raspberry jam. Cream butter with vanilla and sugar until light & fluffy. Fold in flour. Pipe or spoon mixture into paper patty cases set in tartlet pans and make a slight dent in the top of each cake. Bake in pre-heated mod hot oven (190c) for 10-12 mins. Leave to cool. Sift extra icing sugar over each cake and drop a little raspberry jam into the centres. Makes 12.

cookessentials, Apr 17, 8:14am
Hi Doree, no I have not tried them but they do sound yummy. I have a super recipe for ginger gems if you would like it.

cookessentials, Apr 18, 6:16am
For those wanting some good Kiwi baking recipes, here they are!!

indy95, Apr 18, 9:29am
Oh good ! I was looking for my copy of Armenian Nutmeg Cake yesterday, couldn't locate it and decided that I would have to trawl through this thread. Cookessentials, I'm sure I remember that it was you who posted the recipe and although I haven't made it for years I remember that it makes a really lovely cake.

Edited to add found at posts 206/207. For anyone looking for a cake that is a little different I can recommend Armenian Walnut and Nutmeg Cake.

cookessentials, Apr 18, 9:46am
Hi Indy, yes I did and I do love it as it is not too sweet. Let us know what you think of this particular recipe.

doree36, Apr 18, 11:37pm
hi there cook essentials would very much like your ginger gems recipe-look forward to seeing it on here - some thing different for a Ladies "do" I am going to next week.bye for now

cookessentials, Apr 19, 6:16am
For those wanting some good Kiwi baking recipes, here they are!

whiskey13, Apr 19, 7:12am
Yes this thread is too good to loose

indy95, Apr 19, 9:29am
Oh good ! I was looking for my copy of Armenian Nutmeg Cake yesterday, couldn't locate it and decided that I would have to trawl through this thread. Cookessentials, I'm sure I remember that it was you who posted the recipe and although I haven't made it for years I remember that it makes a really lovely cake.

Edited to add found at posts 206/207. For anyone looking for a cake that is a little different I can recommend Armenian Walnut and Nutmeg Cake.

jenna68, Apr 20, 10:02pm
bumpin :o)

jenna68, Apr 22, 6:39pm
f... f

cookessentials, Apr 23, 3:42am
bumpng for more.

jenna68, Apr 23, 6:39pm
f. f

evenmore, Apr 26, 12:02pm
bumpin for lilangels question above ;)

cookessentials, Apr 27, 12:13am
BANANA AND WALNUT CAKE

2 1/2 cups (250g) plain flour

1 tbsp baking soda

1 pinch salt

125g unsalted butter

1 cup (220g) white sugar

3/4 cup (115g) brown sugar

2 eggs

4 ripe bananas, mashed

2/3 cup (170ml) buttermilk

1/2 cup (60g) chopped walnuts

preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and flour two 20cm round cake tins. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, bicarb soda and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in the bananas. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts. Pour batter into the prepared cake tins.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a damp tea towel to cool

The buttermilk is a great alternative making a very moist cake.

crystalmoon, Apr 27, 1:21am
bump ....awesome recipes,have a few lined up to try. Saw a post earier about a" Friendship cake",were you keep feeding it during the week and at end of week you give a cup full away to friend.I've heard of that cake but can't think were I have read it.Would love to try it if anyone know's. Thanks

crystalmoon, Apr 27, 1:34am
Just googled friendship cake and got some interesting recipes,but were very long process up to 30days to make and then at the end of all of that you add the mix to pre bought cake mix.A bit of a let down after going through all the steps lolz.

jenna68, Apr 27, 3:48pm
a... a

maitredee, Apr 27, 8:17pm
Chocolate Cake in a Whizz by Lisa2211YUMMY CHOCOLATE CAKE - made in kitchen whiz
1 2/3c flour,1 1/2tsp baking soda, 1 1/2c sugar, 2/3c cocoa, 1tsp salt, 1 1/2c trim milk, 100g melted butter, 2 eggs, 1tsp vanilla esse...Put all ingredients in whiz and whiz away, pour into tin (it is very liquidy do not fear) bake approx 50 mins @ 180c
ICING/ FILLING
100g melted butter, 250g icing sugar, 1/3c cocoa, milk to mix, 1 tsp vanilla..... add dry ingredients and butter in whiz, pluse to combine, add dash of milk and pluse again, adding tiny amounts of milk till you reach a thickish soft spreadable icing add vanilla.... cut cake in half- spread some filling on lower half and some jam if you wish (i don't) replace top and ice with remaining icing YUMMY Posted by Lisa2211

jenna68, Apr 27, 9:33pm
Bumpin on pg 3

crystalmoon, Apr 28, 1:21am
bump .awesome recipes,have a few lined up to try. Saw a post earier about a" Friendship cake",were you keep feeding it during the week and at end of week you give a cup full away to friend.I've heard of that cake but can't think were I have read it.Would love to try it if anyone know's. Thanks

maitredee, Apr 28, 8:17pm
Chocolate Cake in a Whizz by Lisa2211YUMMY CHOCOLATE CAKE - made in kitchen whiz
1 2/3c flour,1 1/2tsp baking soda, 1 1/2c sugar, 2/3c cocoa, 1tsp salt, 1 1/2c trim milk, 100g melted butter, 2 eggs, 1tsp vanilla esse.Put all ingredients in whiz and whiz away, pour into tin (it is very liquidy do not fear) bake approx 50 mins @ 180c
ICING/ FILLING
100g melted butter, 250g icing sugar, 1/3c cocoa, milk to mix, 1 tsp vanilla. add dry ingredients and butter in whiz, pluse to combine, add dash of milk and pluse again, adding tiny amounts of milk till you reach a thickish soft spreadable icing add vanilla. cut cake in half- spread some filling on lower half and some jam if you wish (i don't) replace top and ice with remaining icing YUMMY Posted by Lisa2211

cookessentials, Apr 29, 10:25am
LIME AND PASSIONFRUIT DRIZZLE CAKE

125g butter, softened
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
3 eggs
½ cup passionfruit pulp (approximately 6 passionfruit)
1½ cups (220g) self-raising flour
½ cup (125ml) milk
whipped cream, to serve

Syrup
1/3 cup passionfruit pulp (approximately 4 passionfruit)
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup caster sugar

Preheat oven 170°C. Line and grease a deep 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.

Combine all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters on low speed until just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat 1-2 minutes or until mixture is smooth and pale in colour.

Spread mixture into tin and bake 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

In the meantime, push passionfruit pulp through a fine sieve to collect juice; set aside. Discard half of the seeds and return remaining seeds to the juice.

Mix passionfruit juice and pulp, lime juice and sugar together in a small mixing bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves.

Spike cake all over with a thin skewer and drizzle warm cake with syrup. Allow syrup to soak into cake before serving with a dollop of whipped cream.

rj5, Apr 30, 8:59pm
Pumpkin, Carrot and raisin loaf
this has turned out to be my favourite loaf at the moment so moist and delicious.
11/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp b.soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup raisins or sultana's
3/4 cup mashed and cooled pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 160C , grease a loaf tin. Sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg,b.soda,and salt into a bowl, stir through the sugar, grated carrot and raisins and make a well in the centre. in a jug beat the pumpkin, eggs, oil and water then pour into the well, stir together gently and spoon into loaf tin and level off with a spatula. bake in preheated oven for 65-70 mins, allow to stand in tin for 8-10mins before turning on to cooling rack.

rj5, May 1, 8:59pm
Pumpkin, Carrot and raisin loaf
this has turned out to be my favourite loaf at the moment so moist and delicious.
11/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp b.soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup raisins or sultana's
3/4 cup mashed and cooled pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 160C , grease a loaf tin. Sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg,b.soda,and salt into a bowl, stir through the sugar, grated carrot and raisins and make a well in the centre. in a jug beat the pumpkin, eggs, oil and water then pour into the well, stir together gently and spoon into loaf tin and level off with a spatula. bake in preheated oven for 65-70 mins, allow to stand in tin for 8-10mins before turning on to cooling rack.