Cakes

Page 11 / 28
susieq9, Mar 28, 9:04pm
bump. wish I could make these lovely cakes!

jaywai, Mar 28, 10:57pm
Boiled together Fruit Cake This is the easiest, yummiest fruit cake, I always have to take one to Oz when visiting our son!
Boil together 1kg mixed fruit, 1Tblsp golden syrup, 2 cups water, 2 cups brown sugar, 1tsp mixed spice. Boil approx 5 mins and I pour into my large tupperware bowl and add 2 tsp baking soda. Mix well and leave to cool. (Often overnight). Then mix in 4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 beaten eggs, 1 tsp each lemon, almond, vanilla essence. Mix well. Bake 31/2- 4 hours approx, 150oC.
This has been 2 Wedding Cakes for family. Economical and tasty.

jaywai, Mar 29, 2:35am
Butter also in boiled fruit cake #171 Forgot the butter, sorry, in #171.
In with ingredients to boil, 250g butter.
I make this cake in either 1x24cm round tin or 2x21cm tins, lined with baking paper.
Icing optional but nice with almond icing.

wron, Mar 31, 7:35am
Easing back to P1 as was on last page!

cookessentials, Apr 3, 8:36pm
Doree, thanks for your great recipes, this thread is still going and has some great ideas on it.

doree36, Apr 3, 9:36pm
hello there cookessentials thank you for your compliments about my recipes. Actually I am 72 years of age ( who said we are too old to learn modern technology!) I have been cooking virtually since I was a young girl so have a vast store of recipes - both my own and from books. By the way I put a really super carrot cake in 2 threads recently and both have disappeared - unfortunately I did not "save" these so will re-type it again and put it on this thread where it will be safer by the looks of it. catch ya later

doree36, Apr 4, 12:40am
Lovely moist carrot cake -keeps well 75grms butter,1 1/2 cups brown sugar,,1 150grm pot sour cream.3 eggs, 1 cup plain white flour,1 1/2 tesapoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon mixed spice, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup wholemeal flour, 2 cups grated carrots, 1/4 cup raisins (walnuts too if you wish).
CREAM CHEESE ICING 1/2 cup cream cheese, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or lemon juice, 2 1/2 cups icing sugar.
Soften butter, beat in sugar, add sour cream cream and eggs and beat thoroughly. Sift flour, baking soda, mixed spice cinnamon and salt. Add wholemeal flour. Fold into sour cream mixture add grated carrots and raisins and nuts.Put Into greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin.Bake 180c for about 1 hour. When cold ice with cream cheese icing. CREAM CHEESE ICING
Beat cream cheese until soft. add softened butter and vanilla or lemon juice and beat well. Gradually bet in sifted icing sugar until smooth A really Super Cake - I have won many cooking competitions with this cake.

doree36, Apr 4, 2:02am
special banana cake for that special ocassion UPSIDE DOWN TOFFE AND BANANA CAKE You need 2 large overripe(460grms) bananas for this recipe 1 cup (220grams) CASTER sugar,1 cup (250 mils ) water,2 medium bananas (400 grms)sliced thinly,2 egg beaten lightly,2/3 cup(160mls) of vegetable Oil ( I use grape seed for all my cooking)3/4 cup(165 grms) firmly packed brown sugar. 1 tsp vanilla esence,2/3 cup(100grms) plain flour,1/3 (50grms) wholemeal self raising flour, 2 teaspoons mixed spice,1 teaspoon bicarbonae of soda(baking soda) 1 cup of nice ripe banana. Contd

doree36, Apr 4, 2:07am
contd Contd 180c oven.Grease deep 20cm cake pan line base with baking paper. Stir caster sugar and water over low heat without boiling until sugar dissolves, bring to a boil,uncovered without stirring for about ten minutes or until caramel in colour.POur toffee into prepared pan topped with sliced banana. Combine egg,oil,brown sugar and vanilla in medium . sir in dry ingredients then mashed banana. pour mixture on top of bananas in pan. bake about 40 mins. stand cake in pan about five minutes before turning out on to wire rach covered in baking paper. Turn cake top side up ( use another rack on top of cake ( the bottom of the cake) and flip over -your cake will be with the caramel side on top)serve warm or at room temperature with thick cream . Scrumptious

doree36, Apr 4, 2:46am
As good as they Look BANANA BLUEBERRY CAKES 125 grms butter,1/2 cup (125mls) milk,2 eggs,1cup (225 grms) CASTER sugar,1/c VERY RIPE mashed bananas 1/2 cups (225grms) self raising flour 1/2 cup (75 grms)frozen blue berries. Pre heat oven to moderate (180c) Grease 12 hole muffin pan. Place butter and milk in small saucepan heat until butter melts.beat eggs in a small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy ( use room temperature eggs) Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved between additions, stir in banana. Fold in sifted flour and cooled butter mixture in two batches ( not all at once) Divide mixture among muffin tins. Bake in moderate oven 10 minutes . Remove from oven press frozen blueberries into tops of cakes - not right down ( I put 5 in each) return to moderate oven bake a further 15 minutes. turn cakes on to wire racks to cool. Dust with icing sugar just before serving. Delicious to look at - beautiful to eat ! I make these every week for an old friend who adores them. Enjoy

jen92, Apr 4, 4:07am
Wonderful Fresh Plum Cake 150g butter
150g brownsugar
3 large eggs
75g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
100g ground almonds
50g shelled walnuts, chopped
16 plums, stoned and quartered
Set Oven at 180C. Line the base of a square 20cm cake tin.
Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Halve plums, remove stones + cut each half in two.
Beat eggs lightly + add them bit by bit to the butter and sugar. Sift the flour + baking powder together and fold them gently into the mixture. Fold in ground almonds + walnuts.
Pour into cake tin. Place quartered plums on top. There is no point in doing this with any real precision as they will sink into the cake as they cook. Bake for 40-45 minutes, then test with a skewer. If it comes out clean, without any wet cake mixture sticking to it, then the cake is ready. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for fifteen minutes before turning out.

jen92, Apr 4, 4:07am
#341 Plum cake was for #311's request. x

fetish, Apr 5, 8:26pm
if I could type or is that spell check ! the address for all these recipes if they are needed is trademecooks.999.org I left off the s in my last post ! All in the baking forum under their various categories :)

chris2115, Apr 6, 8:35am
Tipsy Cake Does anyone have a recipe for Tipsy cake.It is two layers of sponge cake with another layer in the middle with jam and rum essence, I think. It then has an icing on top.

jenna68, Apr 6, 8:13pm
Bumping too good to lose this wonderful thread!:o)

jaazmile, Apr 6, 10:05pm
Brianmacs cakes #50 & #71 The apple & Date cake and the Rhubarb and cocnuts cake came out beautiful and moist.

510, Apr 7, 7:37pm
No Cholesterol Boiled Cake Combine 2 C Water, 1 & 1/2 Castor Sugar, 1 tsp grd cinnamon 2 C mixed fruit (360gms) (or 1cp fruit & 1 tin crshd pineapple) in a pot.Bringto boil.Let cool. Put cooled mixture in large bowl & stir in 3 C plain flour & 1 tsp baking soda. bakein mod oven (160- 180).suitable to Freeze.This is a lovely moist fruit cake that my friend Joan makes for morning tea.

510, Apr 9, 1:36am
bumping for tadpole There are some yummy sounding fruit cakes in here, that don't look too hard.

maitredee, Apr 9, 8:28pm
Marie's Cake deserves to be here BEST EVER CARROT CAKE-made in kitchen wizz.
Here it is again.I really recommend this.So easy.Ends up like a GATEAU. In WIZZ,chop 3 medium peeled carrots until finely chopped. ADD:2 cups sugar,1 cup oil,2 teaspoons cinnamon,4 eggs.Wizz again till blended.Then add:2 cups plain flour,2 teaspoons baking powder,1 teaspoon baking soda,1 teaspoon salt.(can add any xtra spices to taste eg nutmeg or mixed spice)Wizz all together till blended.Pour into 26cm large cake tin (lined)& bake @ 150 degrees c for approx 1 hour.When cold ,Ice with Cream Cheese Icing-100grms Cream Cheese,50 grms butter,1 teaspoon Vanilla,2 cups Icing Sugar,Lemon or orange juice & rind. Soften butter & cr cheese.then add other ings -mix till smooth and ice cake.IMPRESS YOUR GUESTS.

marie2244 (914 )1:30 pm, 17 Mar

maitredee, Apr 10, 8:28pm
Marie's Cake deserves to be here BEST EVER CARROT CAKE-made in kitchen wizz.
Here it is again.I really recommend this.So easy.Ends up like a GATEAU. In WIZZ,chop 3 medium peeled carrots until finely chopped. ADD:2 cups sugar,1 cup oil,2 teaspoons cinnamon,4 eggs.Wizz again till blended.Then add:2 cups plain flour,2 teaspoons baking powder,1 teaspoon baking soda,1 teaspoon salt.(can add any xtra spices to taste eg nutmeg or mixed spice)Wizz all together till blended.Pour into 26cm large cake tin (lined)& bake @ 150 degrees c for approx 1 hour.When cold ,Ice with Cream Cheese Icing-100grms Cream Cheese,50 grms butter,1 teaspoon Vanilla,2 cups Icing Sugar,Lemon or orange juice & rind. Soften butter & cr cheese.then add other ings -mix till smooth and ice cake.IMPRESS YOUR GUESTS.

marie2244 (914 )1:30 pm, 17 Mar

cookessentials, Apr 11, 7:01am
Up we go .

cookessentials, Apr 11, 9:33am
Doree, you are a GEM! not the baked kind though! I love carrot cake, not too sweet and of course, it HAS to have cream cheese icing.

doree36, Apr 12, 3:18am
Hi cookessentials Thanks for calling me a gem - reminds me I must make some in my very late mothers old gem irons - still have them - they weigh a ton but do the job so well.By the way have you tried my banana blueberry cakes. so yummy - make them instead of blueberry muffins nowadays. Look lovely done asfriands if you have the tins. Cheers for now!

fmgirl, Apr 12, 3:45am
thanks Jen I've saved this for next years, glut of fresh plums.
Was looking for something to do with them other than make jam

510, Apr 14, 5:37am
This thread is too good to loose Bump