CURIOUS RECIPES FROM OLD COOKERY BOOKS

Page 3 / 9
horizons_, Dec 4, 6:19am
Recipe for Brides:-
Mix love, good looks and sweet temper into a well-furnished house. Add a blunder of faults and self forgetfulness, stir in pounded wit, dry humour, and sweet argument, pour in gently rippling laughter, and common sense and bake well until eternity.
Sorry the book this came from has no cover, but is very old.

horizons_, Dec 4, 6:25am
And more from the same book:-
'A Prooved teat Ointment'
This will cure pox on cows and heal cracks that were very bad. Also good for human hands. One lb clean mutton fat, 1 cup coarse castor oil, 3/4 cup kerosene. Melt (!!!!) together and keep well stirred until cold.
'For rheumatism' - 1 tsp condys crystals in 1 1/2 pint bottle of water. Take 1 tbsp of mixture in a glass of hot water every night.
'For boils" - 3 drops of turpentine in a wineglass of cold water for 3 mornings.

horizons_, Dec 4, 6:41am
Mock Chicken (From Mayfield Presbyterian Ladies Guild - Up - the - Minute Cookery Book.
Chop 1 medium sized onion finely and cook in a little butter, but do not brown. Add 1 small skinned and sliced tomato, 1 tsp mixed herbs, 1 beaten egg, pepper and salt. Cook slowly until mixture thickens. Pile on cheese or water biscuits and garnish with parsely.

elliehen, Dec 4, 7:06am
AUNT DAISY'S GORSE WINE
1/2 gallon gorse flowers
1 gallon water
2 oz root ginger
1 oz compressed yeast
3 lb demerara sugar or best brown
1 orange
1 lemon

Simmer flowers, water and ginger together for 15 minutes.Stir in sugar till dissolved.Slice orange and lemon, and add to cooling liquid.When lukewarm, spread yeast on piece of toast, and float on top.Cover with folded blanket; leave undisturbed for a week.Then skim off head.Strain into jar, allow to work another week before corking lightly.A few raisins and a lump of sugar keep it lively.

lindylambchops1, Jan 10, 11:14pm
That is very interesting lot's of people throw away the whey when making cheese.This could be a very useful recipe for many people.

lindylambchops1, Jan 10, 11:14pm
That is very interesting lot's of people throw away the whey when making cheese.This could be a very useful recipe for many people.

fourz, Jan 11, 3:32am
horizons my mum used to make mock chicken all the time lol what happy memories came flooding back. It is actually really nice Imade it a few times for my kids many years ago now. But there are so many other things that we can have on crackers now lol

gotland3, Jan 12, 7:55am
Some where in my boxes,I have an ancient book that copies were given to early settlers heading here in 1850's. All about how young ladies should answer if a gentleman should leave a card,how to set a 3 course table for 25 visitors.Also page upon page about kitchens and drawing room furniture.Hundreds of recipes, one for pickled calves heads and hocks. preparing tripe. etc etc

gotland3, Jan 12, 7:55am
Some where in my boxes,I have an ancient book that copies were given to early settlers heading here in 1850's. All about how young ladies should answer if a gentleman should leave a card,how to set a 3 course table for 25 visitors.Also page upon page about kitchens and drawing room furniture.Hundreds of recipes, one for pickled calves heads and hocks. preparing tripe. etc etc

elliehen, Jan 12, 11:14am
That could be a collectable.When you find it, please add the title, publisher and other details to this thread.Would be interesting to many.

kumerakid, Jan 13, 6:13am
i brought a new aunt daisy book for my daughter, i have my mum copy love (to read) the swan or pukekho receipes

dilligaf_dah, Jan 14, 1:05am
I come across an oldish cook book from TV beauty and BEast and Selwyn Togoods receipe is 10 minyte boiled eggs.

patsy3, Jan 14, 1:08am
KI TE PUAWAI TE KOWHAI KAI TE MOMONA TE KINA. When the kowhai is in bloom it is time for sea-eggs.

Hi folks. Here are some of the more colourful recipes from the Maori Women's Welfare League 1977 Calendar. A recipe a day for the year.

Weds. 12 Oct 1977: Mashed Eel and Kouka (Tuna natu)
Boil puha, eel, kouka (cabbage tree heart) and onions until cooked. Debone eel and mash well. Return to stove after adding lard and cook a further 10mins. from Maata-Te-Rau-Aroha (past pres. 1960-64)

patsy3, Jan 14, 1:08am
KI TE PUAWAI TE KOWHAI KAI TE MOMONA TE KINA. When the kowhai is in bloom it is time for sea-eggs.

Hi folks. Here are some of the more colourful recipes from the Maori Women's Welfare League 1977 Calendar. A recipe a day for the year.

Weds. 12 Oct 1977: Mashed Eel and Kouka (Tuna natu)
Boil puha, eel, kouka (cabbage tree heart) and onions until cooked. Debone eel and mash well. Return to stove after adding lard and cook a further 10mins. from Maata-Te-Rau-Aroha (past pres. 1960-64)

patsy3, Jan 14, 1:15am
MANGO MAROKE or DRIED SHARK
Catch or procure a dog fish. Gut and wash clean. Hang it up high in a tree well away from living quarters. Leave for about 4-5 months until it is properly dehydrated. With a good fire goin, place the whole fish on to it, allowing to be well charred and burnt black. Remove blackened fish from fire and once slightly cool, scrape away all evidence of charred shark skin. Immediately below this is a golden surface. Break the fish lengthwise to reveal the flakey golden fish ready to be eaten.
NB. The powerful odour that the fish emits when opened out can be disconcerting at first. It is a very tasty dish. It is a good side dish, but only small portions can be eaten at a time. (Mere-Auckland)

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:07am
BRAINS !!

This is from the 6th addition of the book called Tried Recipes from the Victoria League of Auckland
Let me know if you want me to post recipes for

Stewed Brains, Brain Rissoles, Curried Brains .. and last but not least . . . . . . . . Brain Omelette !!

runs at the thought of eating those says 1 veggie!!

(barloo)

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:07am
BRAINS !

This is from the 6th addition of the book called Tried Recipes from the Victoria League of Auckland
Let me know if you want me to post recipes for

Stewed Brains, Brain Rissoles, Curried Brains . and last but not least . . . . . . . . Brain Omelette !

runs at the thought of eating those says 1 veggie!

(barloo)

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:11am
Mixture for preserving eggs.

1/2 lb lump borax. Dissolve in a gallon of boiling water, use the next day. Put fresh eggs in each day.

(barloo)

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:16am
Brain-filling savoury or sandwich fillings

Put brains in tepid water for 10 mins, then in cold salt water for 10 mins. Remove any skin or blood. Boil in good stock for 20 mins then thicken with desert-spoon of curry powder and the same of flour, mixing it with a little vinegar and sugar. Allow to simmer for 5 to 10 mins. When cold, mash fine with a fork and some good chutney. Ox brains are best fore this.

(barloo)

ant_sonja, Jan 14, 2:18am
Yikes...

ant_sonja, Jan 14, 2:18am
Yikes.

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:22am
OMG they loved brains!!

Brain soup

Take a set of sheep brains. Soak for 1/2 hour in warm water then put into boiling water and boil for 10 mins. Then drain water off and add 1 pint milk and allow them to boil for 10 mins. Rub through fine sieve, and return to saucepan. Add 1 dsn of butter, pepper and salt to taste, a little finely minced parsley. Thicken with a little flour and boil for 5 mins.

Ohh lordy!! Glad I never got served these!!

(barloo)

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:22am
OMG they loved brains!

Brain soup

Take a set of sheep brains. Soak for 1/2 hour in warm water then put into boiling water and boil for 10 mins. Then drain water off and add 1 pint milk and allow them to boil for 10 mins. Rub through fine sieve, and return to saucepan. Add 1 dsn of butter, pepper and salt to taste, a little finely minced parsley. Thicken with a little flour and boil for 5 mins.

Ohh lordy! Glad I never got served these!

(barloo)

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:29am
Brains and red herring filling for sandwiches!! Ohh boy!!

(barloo)

How did ppl eat this stuff!!

lx4000, Jan 14, 2:29am
Brains and red herring filling for sandwiches! Ohh boy!

(barloo)

How did ppl eat this stuff!