Good cook books?

professor_plum, Aug 9, 4:56am
Have been instructed to do "cooking". Locate map of house, yes that mysterious part of the house is actally a kitchen. An investigation into this room shows there is plates thre, put the food isnt on them. Further investigation into this subject showed a trip to a big yellow building with black writing on it was in order. Very costly place, but they still didnt have any plates with food on. Appartently there is a process in the middle called "cooking". Can anyone recommend a good basic book (cos as you may have guessed, I am not Gordon Ramsey, although I do sound like him on occassion), that doesnt require a lot of mucking around, but I can feed the family interesting meals?

289capri, Aug 9, 5:15am
Try any of Alison and Simon Holst, good easy cooking to do in that new place you have found, called a Kitchen. Good luck! ! !

nfh1, Aug 9, 5:27am
LOL - do not enter the kitchen until you have an accomplice to clear and wash up!

It is a very dangerous place - beware.

Delia Smith has some good cook books and an excellent web site.

unknowndisorder, Aug 9, 6:10am
check out the thread I just bumped up for you. May be of some help. Before you go out and buy a cookbook (this can become an expensive hobby), have a read through some of the threads here. There are some easy meals to make.
Type in "lasagne" change date of post to "anytime", Alison Gofton's recipe (I think it was hers) is easy to make.
There's also Annabel Langbein's no fail quiche (sorry if I've stuffed up the chef's names, but that'd be typical of me).

Basically, if you can think of something you want to try to make, have a look around here first, see if you can find it. Yeah, the hard part is trying to figure out what to make and pretty pictures can make that chore a bit easier, but it doesn't always work out that good (dinner Friday was an interesting affair, but I've now got new ingredients to play with hahaha)

professor_plum, Aug 9, 6:16am
thanx for all your help :)

calista, Aug 9, 6:44am
If you are able to the library they have some good recipe books you can borrow (membership and borrowing are both free). I like Alison Holst because her books are well set out and use easily available ingredients.

I agree that it's even better with someone else to do the dishes afterwards.

margyr, Aug 9, 6:48am
I have countless cookbooks, but must admit mostly these days if after inspiration i just google, and the edmonds cookbook.

valentino, Aug 9, 8:13am
professor_plum

One can also create one's own cookbook.

Simply think of what one wish to do, to cook, main ingredients for meals and then search here for them.

There are some real great people in this Message Board whom can then help you with this search or at least put you in the right direction, give some easy simple recipes and some real treats as well.

Then just copy and paste into a word document or similar, print off, then into one of those say plastic pocket binders... . . Then presto, your own personlized "Cookbook".

Oh, one can never print off too much, one learns eventually which ones works for themselves and saves those recipes, hints, tips etcmainly, however keep others as in time, one may give them a try as well, it all just time and just doing them then you will be like the rest of us... Hmmmm.

Cheers.

greerg, Aug 9, 8:09pm
I think that the biggest proportion of the new recipes I try these days come from here but I still can't resist a really good gossy cookbook. I read them in the night if I can't sleep which is betterthan sneaking out tothe fridge (although one sometimes leads to the other). Sophie Grey could be handy for a novice cook as well.

indy95, Aug 9, 9:10pm
Professor_plum, I strongly recommend that you give up this whole idea right now, otherwise you will undoubtedly, as Valentino has stated, become " just like the rest of us " i. e. hopelessly addicted. If that is not possible then I suggest that you have a look at the Australian Women's Weekly series of cookbooks. These are really excellent with clear instructions and photos of each finished dish. I recently saw one which seemed to be a fairly new publication called something like Basic Cooking which might be ideal for you. There are many titles available in the series.

Also, please don't hesitate to ask questions in here as there are many very knowledgeable and helpful members who are always willing to answer queries. Oh, and by the way, we have a motto in TM Recipes which goes "There is no such thing as a stupid question. "

lythande1, Aug 9, 11:44pm
The Australian Womens Weekly Cookbooks are great, tend to be meals only - not entree, main, dessert type books, get one that covers all sorts - chicken, beef, veges whatever, meals. 2nd hand book shops have millions of them.

red2, Aug 10, 12:01am
New book - Cooking for Blokes - was promoted this morning on TV . New Zealand book - could be worth a look

valentino, Aug 10, 12:35am
Oh, a place to have a look is the Library... .

Some great books noted above and there are others, perhaps a visit to the library and have a good perusal, take notes on the ones that will appeal to you plus the ones above and as they had noted, illustrated ones actually gives clear directions.

And as someone noted ... . 2nd hand books or even here on Trade Me going by notes of a visit to the library.

Mind you, most cooks here normally hold onto their well used books hence their suggestion of a book and the odd new book can still be personalised to suit oneself, like the Australian Women's Weekly which are superb and can also be checked out at a library.

Cheers.

bruceakld, Aug 10, 2:58am
Check out your local library before you buy cook books. Take as many home as you want and look through them and if more than 10 recipes in a book look good/tasty (and cookable) buy the book if not just take them back and get more. Cook books are not cheap seems a shame to buy the wrong ones. Bon appetit!

valentino, Aug 10, 3:41am
Could even photocopy a few recipes to try... . and a start toi one's own cookbook.

wildflower, Aug 10, 4:48am
Edmonds Illustrated cookbook, Allyson Goftons stuff. Just stick to preferably NZ ones so ingredients etc are easy to find.

calista, Aug 10, 5:51am
Be warned when using any Australian recipes that their Tablespoon is bigger than ours (Aus T = 20 ml or 4 tsp // NZ T = 15 ml or 3tsp).

I always find it ironic that the "Destitue Gourmet' books are quite expensive compared with some others of a similar size.

elliehen, Jan 13, 5:08pm
You can also read cookbooks in your local bookshop and quietly make quick notes on a recipe that appeals...

Doctors' waiting rooms are full of old magazines, and if you are there with a hacking winter cough, you might be able to disguise the quick rip of paper as you remove a recipe that's caught your eye... have seen it done ;)