CURIOUS RECIPES FROM OLD COOKERY BOOKS

Page 2 / 9
juliewn, Jun 23, 11:45am
Hi Everyone. .

I collect recipe books too. . including the great fundraising books published by schools and kindy's and Plunket groups, etc. . Trademe makes it so much easier to find them. . and there are new books published that also sell here for fundraising for different organisations. . must make it easier for groups to sell them here also.

Hi Pam. . :-). . I saw on a TV programme that an Aunt Daisy book had been published - her Daughter was part of doing that. . she died before publication and the funds from the book now go to a trust in her name:

'Aunt Daisy's late daughter Barbara Basham lovingly researched and compiled this extensive collection as a tribute to her mother. Before Barbara died, she arranged to establish a charitable trust under her Will to which all sale proceeds from this book will go.

'The Barbara Basham Medical Charitable Trust is managed by Guardian Trust to fund world-class medical research in New Zealand. The Trust has already enabled the completion of ground-breaking stroke research on improving treatment outcomes... '

. . So, even now, Aunty Daisy, through her Daughter Barbara and Barbara's Trust, is stil helping New Zealander's. . I have a feeling she'd like that. . :-)

hezwez, Jun 23, 12:45pm
I'm certain she would juliewn, we bought a copy like this #294675121 for a family member who was delighted. But back to the curious theme. . a tip from an old book I have dating from the meat and two vegies era, states:
"A Cook's TimeTable ~ Undercooked vegetables are as unpleasant as those that are overcooked. Here is a time-table that will save you guessing the necessary cooking time.
Cabbage: Thirty minutes
Cauliflowers: Thirty minutes
Carrots: Thirty to fifty minutes, according to age.
Brussels sprouts: Thirty minutes
Spinach: Twenty minutes
Peas: Twenty-five minutes
Beans: Twenty-five minutes
Turnips: Forty-five minutes"
Imagine having 50 minute carrots served up... . .

antoniab, Jun 24, 12:38am
Lol good god, its a suprise anyone ate their veges back then if they were destroyed like that ewwww lol

daleaway, Jun 24, 1:14am
I did my manual training in the 1950s, and we had to embroider our own white aprons and maid-like white headbands with our names. Big enamel basins of blended butter and dripping were provided for our use - butter alone was far too expensive for schoolgirls at TWO SHILLINGS a pound! However, we we told to bring a small bottle of brandy to school when we made our Christmas cakes. Some of us (12 year olds) drunk it before class, and spent the day dizzier than usual - but we were never found out!

I do have a collection of old fundraising cookbooks, also an Aussie one from the 1930s that has ostrich egg recipes. My D. I. C. one from about 1906 has a port wine jelly recipe for invalids that uses almost a whole bottle of port. The invalids' sections are usually pretty disgusting.

hezwez, Jun 24, 4:35am
We must be the same vintage daleaway, I recall embroidering the apron and headband, can you imagine the incredulous expressions of the pre-teens of today if they had to switch their attention from Lady Gaga to making pinnies?
here's another oldy:
Orange Souffle
Yolks of three eggs
Three Tbsp sugar
Juice and grated rind of three oranges and one lemon.
Stir over fire until thick but do not let it boil. Have ready the stiffly beaten whites of the three eggs, and mix well. Then turn quickly out into a dish lined with sponge cake.

indy95, Jun 24, 5:22am
Now wouldn't this cause a sensation at the next pot luck dinner ! At least you could pretty well guarantee nobody else would turn up with the same dish.

indy95, Jun 24, 5:28am
Raw liver was also once a common treatment prescribed for anyone suffering from anaemia

cookessentials, Jun 24, 7:17am
Hi Julie
I had a quick look at the Aunty Daisy book at Paper Plus and it was reasonable priced and I do think I will get it, in fact, I had thought of giving one to my sister who lives in the USA and it has some great old time Kiwi recipes.

anne1955, Jun 24, 12:45pm
Hi Do the secondhand book shops or better still the op shops we have a cats protection place here and I get all sorts of great old books as do book fairs DN has just had one :( does it each year. . they are a treasure of places to look at for all types of books I was looking for just a single recipe in a book I had leant years agao and took me 10 years but found it. . cheers Anne PS a great posting. .

elliehen, Dec 1, 1:09am
As everyone hunts for Christmas recipes and things get a bit repetitive, here's a diversion.

STUFFED NASTURTIUMS

2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbspn mayonnaise
2 Tbspn thick cream
2 Tbsp cream cheese
3 hardboiled eggs
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
12 Nasturtium flowers
12 Nasturtium leaves
oil & vinegar dressing
salt & pepper to taste

Blend the chopped eggs with the butter, mayonnaise, cream and cheese, mixing with a wooden spoon.Add parsely, black pepper and salt.Spoon the mixture into the centre of each flower and press in firmly. Arrange the Nasturtium leaves on a platter and sprinkle with oil and vinegar.Place the stuffed flowers on the leaves around the outside of the platter.Fill the gap in the centre with any left-over mixture.Sprinkle with chopped walnuts to garnish.

Source: Old New Zealand Queenstown cookbook

Posted in the spirit of Christmas as a gift to the Low Carb sorority ;)

cgvl, Dec 1, 1:38am
mmm elliehen that sounds interesting.

I was given, by my darling sis, the new Aunt daisy Cookbook recently and it is lovely especially as I also have an older version.
Well worth the read lol.
Yes I'm an avid collector too and prefer the pre metric books.

daleaway, Dec 1, 4:09am
You won't believe it, elliehen, but I was fed that for luncheon in 1978 by a rather grand elderly New Zealand lady. Her husband grew the nasturtiums and their housekeeper made the mayonnaise. She called it Oeufs Durs Mayonnaise.
It was really delicious, and yes you do eat the flowers.

stevee6, Dec 1, 4:14am
And a wonderful Eccles cake at the Kings Plant Barn cafe in Whangaparoa - easily the best I've ever had.

elliehen, Dec 1, 7:48am
I believe you :)

And wouldn't those red and green colours make an attractive New Zealand Christmas table centrepiece instead of fake holly and glitter-covered pinecones?

frances1266, Dec 1, 7:10pm
As a child I used to love reading a book of my mothers called Good Housekeeping from memory. It was a large book with a black hard cover.It had all sorts of exciting things such as choux pastry swans, mushrooms made from meringues etc.I think that is where my interest in cooking started.I sold the book in a garage sale some years ago as it was so old fashioned and then regretted it for years.Last year I found a copy in an op shop which was great so I will pass that on to my daughter who hopefully will get the same pleasure from it that I did.Wish I had kept my mother's copy though.

patsprat, Dec 1, 7:36pm
Like all of you, I love old cookery books too, as much for the glimpses into the lives of the cooks as for the recipes!My most treasured book is a 1905 copy of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management which is just fascinating - about 5 inches thick and full of wonderful recipes and solutions to every household dilemma imaginable and a lot of unimaginable ones.If you ever need to know the duties of a footman, how to employ a ladies maid,how to make starch and what to treat cracked horses' hooves with, not to mention how to boil a terrapin (greenies look away now) or a suggested menu for a spring dinner for 12, this is your tome. Lots of sturdy recipes for fish and fowl not usually seen here - it's an English book of course - but the emphasis is on careful budgeting, efficient use of food from one meal to the next and the arrangement ofa household according to quite rigid 'levels'. I love the bit on luncheons and 'light meals' which states that 'in most households luncheon is the children's and servants' dinner'!!?Certainly a glimpse of a time long gone.Fascinating social history.

elliehen, Dec 1, 9:48pm
Makes me wonder what our current crop of cookbooks will tell future cooks about us??

aof11w, Dec 2, 2:05am
Anyone like the recipe for Pukeko Stew?? Tasty favorite in my nanas book....

petal1955, Dec 2, 3:50am
I have my mother's copy of Aunt Daisy "New"Cookery book No 6 for the pricely sum of 4/6d and it was signed by Aunt Daisy. My mother was a shorthand typist form 2ZB in Wellington and this was given to her by her bridesmaid as a "Kitchen Tea" present around 1947/48

racheee, Dec 2, 4:20am
My mother-in-law must have this book!Boiled eggs: 1 hour

elliehen, Dec 2, 9:08am
Another intriguing recipe from the old Queenstown cookbook.An idea for your Christmas barbecue?

GORSE AND NUT PATE

1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup gorse flowers
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated cheese
4 Tbsp thick cream
1/2 tsp dill seeds
1 tsp chopped parsley
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 Tbsp lemon juiice
black pepper & salt to taste

Blend the cream and cheeses with the rest of the ingredients adding the flowers last.Press in to a glass container lined with some of the gorse flowers for a decorative effect.Chill and top with 6 flower heads before placing on the table.

The main ingredient is readily available in the Great New Zealand Outdoors ;)

hezwez, Dec 3, 12:50am
Naughty racheee! I hope your MIL doesn't trawl the message boards!

juliewn, Dec 3, 2:52am
That would be a book to treasure.. how lovely that you have it.. :-)

horizons_, Dec 4, 6:06am
"Numb nuts, laughing nuts" - old medieval recipe for xmas gingerbread nibbles made with treacle and have chili powder added to the mix. Probably so hot you get numb nuts and everyione else laughs at ya!!!!

horizons_, Dec 4, 6:11am
From 'Cookery of Yesteryear' -
Beer Soup: 1 bottle of beer, 4oz sugar, 4 egg yolks, 10z butter. Mix beer and sugar in a jug with yolks. Pour into a saucepan and beat with whisk until it boils. Remove, add butter and serve with a garnish of parsely and paprika.