Apple Dessert Recipes

Page 2 / 6
cookessentials, Jun 8, 7:47am
OOOh, that sounds nice susan21

indy95, Jun 9, 4:05am
Cookessentials, just wondering whether you realise you have given only the method for the Apple Fritters at post 16 but not the list of ingredients ? I don't know how many times I have been into this thread but have only just noticed this.

jord37, Jun 9, 8:19am
I make apple Pancakes by adding cold stewed apples to a pancake mix instead of milk, then cooking them as you would pancakes. Served with a drizzle of lemon juice, or whipped cream or icecream.

cookessentials, Jun 9, 8:59am
Oh my goodness, thanks for noticing! ! sorry about that. I have copy and pasted from above AND put the ingredients in this time.

APPLE FRITTERS
This is courtesy of Taste Magazine 2007
1 egg, whisked
2/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
3 apples, peeled and cored
juice 1 lemon
2 cups sunflower oil
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

In a small bowl mix together the egg, milk and butter. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk to form a thick batter. If necessary, add a couple of extra tablespoons of milk.

Slice each apple into about 4 or 5 chunky rings (about 1. 5cm thick). Place rings in a shallow dish, cover with the lemon juice and toss to coat.

Heat the oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat until hot (the oil is ready when a small piece of bread crust dropped in slowly turns golden brown). Dip an apple ring in the batter and carefully place in the oil. Repeat, cooking 4 fritters at a time until golden. Place on layers of paper towel to drain and keep warm while cooking remaining fritters.

Place the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish and mix. Toss each hot fritter in the mixture and serve immediately – 2-3 fritters per person – with a good scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

cookessentials, Jun 23, 10:37am
Had a delicious apple crumble at one of our popular local cafe's the other night. It would have been one of the nicest ones I have had ( and I can take or leave apple crumble) It had a very nice chunky topping and the apple was beautifully spiced. They normally serve with cream and ice cream, but we forgo the cream for extra icecream. It is very tasty.

nzhel, Jun 23, 2:32pm
bump!

griffo4, Jun 23, 9:11pm
l have prunes soaking in limoncello to make Limoncello Baked Apples for pudding tonight
Here is the recipe that l have got out of our local paper

These can be cooked in individual ramekins or souffle dishes or in one large baking pan

Limoncello Baked Apples

8 pitted prunes
1/2 cup limoncello
4 apples
4 teaspoons butter
4 tablespoons caster sugar
extra limoncello, optional

Place the prunes in a bowl with the limoncello. Soak for several hours
Preheat oven to 180C
Core the apples, leaving them whole
Stuff the holes in the centres with the prunes
Using the point of a sharp knife cut through the skin around the circumference of the apples
Place in a baking dish
Top with butter and sprinkle with caster sugar
Bake for about 45 minutes or until soft
Baste occasionally with limoncello, if preferred
Great served with custard or cream
Serves 4

cookessentials, Jun 24, 2:31am
Ooh, they sound downright dangerous griffo4!

griffo4, Jun 24, 2:53am
Yes cooks especially as l went a bit OTT with the limoncello, l give it an extra slosh, it is so nice and we keep it in the freezer in the garage or else there would be none to use making these LOL
The limoncello with cream in is extra nice as well
l had to taste it to make sure it hadn't gone off while in the freezer today, lol

eastie3, Jun 24, 3:40am
griffo4 wrote:
l have prunes soaking in limoncello to make Limoncello Baked Apples for pudding tonight
Here is the recipe that l have got out of our local paper

I'm going to make this, it sounds delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe griffo4.

griffo4, Jun 24, 7:53am
Yes it was very nice l put extra limoncello with the prunes this morning and added that to the dish when l put it in the oven and it was a really nice sauce that l poured over the apples at serving time along with french vanilla ice cream, yum

cookessentials, Jun 24, 8:36am
I have a recipe for a limocello trifle somewhere

griffo4, Jun 25, 12:01am
OOOHHH Cooks would you please share that limoncello trifle recipe with us please, drools

cookessentials, Jun 26, 12:30am
I shall see if I can find it for you griffo4

cookessentials, Jun 26, 12:32am
APPLE SHORTCAKE

I have made this for the last twenty odd years and it is such a simple but tasty dessert and well worth trying.

125g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup plain flour
410g can pie apple
1 passionfruit
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
extra caster sugar
Cream butter and sugar lightly, add egg, beat well. Beat in sifted flours. Turn out on to lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth, divide in half. Roll each piece into a round between 2 sheets of plastic food wrap or greaseproof paper to fit a 20 cm (8in) round sandwich tin.

Place one piece into greased 20cm (8in) round sandwich tin which has base and sides lined with greased greaseproof paper. Place round into tin, press edges to fit tin.

Break up pie apple roughly with spoon, add passionfruit pulp and lemon rind. Spread over shortcake base leaving a small border around edge. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of extra sugar. Place second round of pastry over fruit mixture, press edges togeteher around side of tin.

Brush with water, sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake in moderate oven 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to stand 15 minutes before removing from tin.

cookessentials, Jun 26, 1:09am
griffo, I have put the limoncello trifle on the "desserts" thread for you.

indy95, Jun 28, 1:36am
This comes from AWW " Picnics "

Caramel Apples

8 small apples
2 T lemon juice
660g castor sugar
180 ml water
125 g butter chopped

Peel apples and put in bowl, then pour over lemon juice.
Combine sugar, water and butter in a pan and heat, stirring untilsugar has dissolved. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer about 15 mins, occasionally shaking the pan, until the mixture is a good caramel colour. Remove from heat and let the bubbles subside.

Put apples in a greased baking dish, pour over the caramel and cover with greased foil or a piece of baking paper. Bake at 180C for about 30 mins or until apples are cooked through. Let cool.

Serve with yoghurt, whipped cream, ice cream, custard or whatever your favourite topping might be.

indy95, Jun 28, 2:49am
I have recently remembered a pudding/dessert I haven't made since goodness knows when. It's funny how you forget these things but I do remember that this was delicious. It can be eaten at room temperature or chilled. It's usually known as Peasant Girl with a Veil and sometimes Danish Peasant girl with a Veil.

Cook peeled apples until well cooked and beat to a puree, sweeten to taste, adding a pinch of ground cloves if liked. Melt some butter in a frying pan and fry fresh wholemeal or rye breadcrumbs and sugar to taste until browned and crisp. Let both mixtures cool to room temperature.

Layer the apples and breadcrumbs alternately in one large serving dish or in individual dishes starting with apples and making two layers of each.

If you like you can cover the top with whipped cream and scatter over grated or shaved dark chocolate.

As well as being a nice pudding this is also great for breakfast with a good coffee !

cookessentials, Jun 28, 3:58am
sounds very tasty indy95 - love the name of it!

indy95, Jun 28, 4:55am
Isn't it lovely ? Apparently it is also sometimes called Swedish Peasant Girl with a Veil. It seems as though the two countries can't agree on who actually invented it, but whoever it was it's worth making... and eating !

cookessentials, Jun 29, 8:51am
bumping for the tarte tatin recipe

cookessentials, Jul 1, 1:46am
bumping for bisloy

cookessentials, Jul 6, 1:02am
Bumping for someone wanting an apple slice- the shortcake is a lovely one.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 5:36am
For someone wanting dessert ideas.

cookessentials, Aug 15, 7:27am
Just the sort of night for a hot apple dessert.