What is this dessert called?

heather230755, Apr 12, 9:43pm
I want to make the dessert that you dip the biscuits into alcohol, put cream between each biscuit and cover with cream.Also what do you dip the biscuit into?Thanks,Heather.

245sam, Apr 12, 9:54pm
heather230755, the dessert you describe has a number of names that really depend on the biscuits used - Gingernut Log, Chocolate Chip Log and I have also seen it called "Musca-Mate" - recipe below.

My DH makes the dessert you describe without a recipe using gingernuts, ginger wine or sherry and cream.Here is a personally untried recipe that may help you, for the same type of dessert .....

MUSCA-MATE
1 packet chocolate chip biscuits
½ cup muscatel or sherry - basically any cold liquid of choice can be used including fruit juice, fizzy drink, or of course, an alcoholic drink
1¼ cups cream, whipped

Dip (don't soak because the biscuits will become too soft and soggy) the biscuits, one at a time, in the wine, then spread each biscuit with the whipped cream.
On a serving plate line up the creamed biscuits to form a log.Cover the log completely with whipped cream.Decorate as desired withe.g. chocolate chips, crumbled Flake bar, a dusting of cocoa or drinking chocolate or.....Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Hope that helps.:-))

bert21, Apr 12, 9:56pm
I'm sure thats what I know to be choc chippie pud, My Mum dipped Her biscuits in Cherry but Supermarket Deli would use O J.

doree36, Apr 12, 9:57pm
I think it is called a biscotten torte-google it and see . have made one years ago but have no longer got the recipe . Remember it as a special treat!! I dipped the biscuits into a rum mixture - I used "Nice" biscuits i recall - good luck

cookessentials, Apr 12, 10:12pm
yes, biscotten torte is the name...it was a great one done by the wonderful Margaret Fulton back in the 70's from memory

bazyak, Apr 13, 4:41am
we use gingernuts and dip them in ginger beer yummmm

heather230755, Apr 13, 5:25am
Thanks every body, I have dipped the gingernuts in port.I am taking it as a dessert tonight along with banoffee pie.I will try the 'Nice' biscuits next time.

sandralg, Apr 13, 9:36am
Gingernuts dipped in pineapple juice.Mix crushed pineapple into the whipped cream between the biscuits.Mmm mmm.Shaped and decorated like a caterpillar, good for kids b'day cake.

uke17, Apr 13, 10:18pm
We make this once a year (too rich for everday use!). My Mum made it in the 1950s, when it was called Christmas Log (gingernuts,sherry, whipped cream.)The recipe was published in the Dominion newspaper.Our current family version uses gingernuts and chocolate chippies alternated.Sometimes we use diluted brandy instead of sherry.The flavour is best after 24 hours in the fridge.

heather230755, Apr 14, 10:37am
Thanks for that uke17.Must remember 24hrs in the fridge next time.The biscuits were still a bit firm after only 8 hours!Tasted good though.Thanks every body for your comments,Heather.