WHAT TO DO WITH GIN SOAKED PLUMS?

Page 2 / 2
pony_girl, Mar 28, 10:08am
I have never tried making it with any other plums, only damson's - but I am sure someone here will have had experience with different plums. I think the plums are pricked so that the gin can get into them and the plum flavour into the gin more easily. And I would suggest leaving it about 3 months, but if you are anything like me you can't help decanting off a bit to try now and then. And yes, when it's ready just decant off the lovely pink gin and then use the plums for boozy desserts - or cover them with new gin (in my experience the first batch is best though). I haven't tried making the gin with any other fruits - with something like peaches I would probably use the same recipe, but replace the gin with Vodka and make a nice peachy liqueur.

arielbooks, Mar 28, 6:35pm
Not only any plums, any fruit can be used. Peaches are nice. Also any alcohol can be used though I usually use gin or vodka: whichever is cheapest I have always wanted to try with brandy.

cleggyboy, Mar 28, 7:39pm
I have my own still, so have plenty of raw spirit without the flavouring added.

Make my own cough mixture by dissolving hard boiled black ball lollies in spirit, works well.

korbo, Mar 29, 8:17am
#23. how much spirit and how many lollies, and how much does one consume over an 8hr period.
thanks.

norse_westie, Mar 30, 4:51am
Well I'll be. Thanks to this thread I have finally identified the nasty horrible little plums that grow in their billions on my tree in the backyard. They are damsons. And next year I will be soaking them in gin. Thanks OP.

korbo, Mar 31, 8:04am
bumping for cleggyboy to tell me more.

katalin2, Mar 31, 9:47am
Damsons also make the best ever plum jam btw.

korbo, Mar 31, 8:54pm
Have just been given a large box of peaches. Will stew some and then freeze some, will make jam/chutney.
AND wondering if someone can give me the recipe for making the liquer with peaches.
Need to know the ingredients and whether to use Gin or Vodka
thanks.

cleggyboy, Mar 31, 10:46pm
I used 20 black balls just covered in spirit, it does not take long for them to dissolve, maybe overnight.
Dosage a dessertspoon full when required. (Note don't drive afterwards.)
I got the recipe from Asta who used to be on in the mornings on TV1 about 4 yrs back.

korbo, Apr 1, 12:00am
thank you, now just need the recipe for the *plonk*. and I'll be all set for winter ailments. lol

korbo, Apr 1, 12:06am
#29. what spirit do you find the tastest?

cleggyboy, Apr 1, 1:40am
The spirit I use is tasteless when it comes from the still, then one can use whatever flavouring they like, obtainable from homebrew shops.

norse_westie, Apr 1, 6:53am
Great, I will make some next year. Meanwhile I managed to rescue a bowl full of them from my tree and will make plum gin this weekend.

cleggyboy, Apr 2, 11:19pm
I run the still yesterday due to me getting a free day of power from Mercury Energy.
I got the best result ever, 3.8 litres of spirit which will need diluting down to 40% so I should end up with 9 or more litres of good stuff.

korbo, Apr 14, 11:00pm
pony-girl. I have my omega plums in a huge jar with vodka, and sugar. The sugar has gone to the bottom of the jar, and try as I can, i cannot get it to dissolve. I guess over time it will. I put the plums in first, then the sugar, then the vodka.
Hope I have done it right.
comments please.

paora-tm, Apr 15, 5:40am
Sounds like it needs daily shaking and a bit of patience. Try caster sugar next time.

pony_girl, Apr 15, 5:51am
That is the same way I make mine Korbo (although I use damson plums and gin) - but I have done other fruit in vodka and it's been delicious. I am sure the sugar will dissolve over time, just give it a good shake everyday. I make Mar's Vodka too - which is made by decanting off about a 3rd of a bottle of Vodka, cutting up 6 Mars bars and stuffing them in the bottle, topping up with Vodka, then you keep it in a warm place (mine is in the hot water cupboard) for at least 3 months (sometimes longer until you get the desired consistency) shaking the bottle every few days. It looks disgusting at first, but eventually turns into a thick syrupy chocolate Mars Liqueur - it's wickedly delicious.

korbo, Apr 15, 8:31am
awe, thanks so much for the info. cant wait now to try it. I am just leaving the jar in the cool laundry. hope that is right.
Unfortunatley the jar has this bit of a lip going outwards at the bottom of the jar. slowly the sugar is melting.

hjrtraders, Apr 16, 7:46am
Here's another one.

Ah black currants!
Take 1 bottle of gin, remove half the gin. Add 1 cup of sugar then fill up with black currants to within about an inch from the top. Shake for a wee while daily slowly dissolving the sugar. Leave standing for about 6-8 weeks for the flavours to meld.
Pour into a small tumbler and sip gently, nectar of the Gods!
Now for the best part. When the gin is gone gently upend the bottle and carefully remove the black currants. Get a dish with a scoop of your favourite icecream (I think vanilla is best) and add a good spoon of black currants to it. Enjoy!

korbo, Apr 16, 9:21am
sounds tasty. now . where to find black currants. may have to wait until next year

devonwrecked, Apr 16, 7:57pm
Lynda Hallinan in her book "Foggydale Farm Jam Sessions" adds sugar to her damson gin and leaves it 3 to 6 months to cure. She takes the fruit and dips it in chocolate to make "tipsy truffles."

pony_girl, Apr 17, 3:25am
My daughter makes something similar to this - she calls it Ribena for adults - yum !

korbo, Dec 22, 11:11pm
tasted my *plonk* last week. ohhhhhh. so sweet and cant wait for another month to invite friends around to taste.
I did it with vodka and omega plums.
Sure going to try different fruits next summer.
thanks so much for this venture