6kg of yellow plums...

indigojo, Feb 4, 7:36am
I've just been given 6kg of yellow plums. Can I use yellow plums like red plums (jam and sauce) or are there differences I need to be aware of?...thanks!...

uli, Feb 4, 7:45am
Depends on their size and how "watery" they are.

indigojo, Feb 4, 7:51am
they are not very watery (just had to eat another to make sure lol!), and are about half the size of a tennis ball....

greerg, Feb 4, 8:17am
You can.Someone gave me a pot of yellow plum and ginger jam a while ago that was very nice and yellow plum chutney is a bit likemango chutney ( I guess you could use the same recipe).Haven't had yellow plum sauce but I think they would be nice made into a spicy sauce like apricot sauce but I'd leave out the water you usually put in with apricots to account for the extra juiciness of the plums.

cgvl, Feb 4, 10:15am
yellow plum and pineapple jam is scrummy. 1.5kg plums, ½cup water, 750g sugar and a 450g tin of crushed pineapple.

Never had sauce made with them, just plum jam and always a family favourite

indigojo, Feb 4, 7:36pm
thanks guys...I will make the plum jam with the pineapple...that sounds a bit different...and have found a recipe to make some sauce too...that should keep be busy today!...cheers....

elliehen, Feb 4, 10:08pm
You can add chopped dried apricots to a golden plum, with good results.

indigojo, Feb 5, 12:30am
ok...so another question! I've made the sauce up as per:

"PLUM SAUCE
3 kg plums
2 onions, chopped
50g garlic, chopped
1.5 kg sugar
1.5 l malt vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp mace (alt. nutmeg)
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp black pepper

Count the number of plums. Bring to boil. Simmer uncovered until all is soft. Remove the plum stones, puree, reheat and pour into hot bottles. Best left a month before use but ages well and will last for years. Fab with sausages or chicken."

I'm about to reheat the sauce for bottling, but it seems really thin. Is it likely to thicken on standing?...

gardie, Feb 5, 1:58am
I think I'd simmer it for a bit to thicken it up a bit more.It will thicken ever so slightly on cooling.

wildflower, Feb 5, 2:28am
I used the plum jam recipe out of the Edmonds book for yellow plum jam but used a lot less water than they said as plums had so much juice and I like jam etc more chunky.Jam was beautiful:)

greerg, Mar 24, 10:47am
It will thicken a bit but I'd reboil it for a while if I were you, the plums probably were a bit watery than a red one.It will be fine with extra cooking.