A scone question, sometimes I notice an after

gscas, Feb 18, 6:58am
I always get that yucky after taste too, it's definetly not the baking powder, has anyone found a recipe without the after taste?

jhan, Feb 18, 10:17am
I get heartburn after scones now so I don't eat them. Too much baking powder, my system can't deal with it.

buzzy110, Feb 18, 6:40pm
Self raising flour is my pick. I get that aftertaste after eating anything made with self raising flour. It is disgusting stuff and ruins everything that is made with it.

co-creations, Feb 18, 7:31pm
I agree I get a horrible after taste using self raising flour.

taurus2005, Feb 19, 11:03pm
Yes my recipe is similar - I don't use baking powder either.

aktow, Feb 22, 1:06pm
i would say it is the baking powder. it does not take a lot of baking powder to get a acid or bitter after taste. 1 teaspoon does no mean you put as much baking powder on a teaspoon as possible .

gscas, Feb 23, 11:51pm
x1
Finally made scones without that bitter taste, its all about NOT over mixing so the baking powder does not react too much.

white_elephant, Sep 20, 4:05am
taste after eating scones, ones I have made and also bought ones. Any ideas on what this could be, it's not a baking powder taste which I have noticed with bought piklets.

2spotties, Sep 20, 4:39am
Maybe the residual flour on the bottom of the scone from the baking method?

kaddiew, Sep 20, 5:48am
I get that too, in scones I bake myself. Had thought it was the baking powder, as I used to be quite liberal with how much I crammed onto each teaspoon, but even cutting right back to level teaspoons hasn't really made a difference.

I don't think it's the flour, as I make quite floury pita breads with no after taste.

joybells2, Sep 20, 7:29am
I think its self raising flour that you get that taste from.

tazdevil38, Sep 25, 3:48am
Make sure you shake your baking powder before use. Because baking powder is made from baking soda and cream of tartar, contents can settle. Baking soda can leave a soapy taste if too much is used.

If using SR flour, give it a stir first to distribute everything.

family007, Sep 28, 4:13am
woodsbro, try using Flora Buttery in baking. I had that butter taste too and using this margarine was the answer for me. Just use like for like, no adjusting needed.

kaddiew, Sep 28, 4:19am
I still get that taste if I make cheese scones with no butter; I never use self raising flour; and I use far less baking powder than I used to, and always shaken first. It's a mystery to me.

flower-child01, Oct 1, 10:39pm
Perfect scones (light, fluffy, and no after taste)

3 cups high grade flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking soda
2 heaped teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup caster sugar
75g butter, melted
1 - 1 1/4 c milk

Sift flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and sugar. Pour in butter and some milk, mix with a knife, keep adding milk to a good consistency, moist but not a total sticky ball. Roll out and cut with cutters. Bake 180 C 10 - 12 mins.

white_elephant, Feb 2, 1:15am
Thank you flower-child, I will give your recipe a try in the week-end.