Le Creuset casserole dishes

Page 1 / 3
fatinthehat, May 3, 12:32am
This might be slightly off topic for in here... but has anyone ever had any problems with Le Creuset casserole dishes losing the enamel? I was cooking sausages on the glass cooktop, with oil, and the enamel started chipping off. I have sent it back and they replied saying i must have been cooking on a high heat, which i wasn't. Anyone knows you don't cook sausages over a high heat! I wondered if i had just struck a dud. It's only 2 years old so i'm a tad brassed off!

abbey_magick, May 3, 12:35am
Passing the Buck by the sounds of it. My frying pan ive only had for a year, but is fine.

Has element marks on the bottom id love to remove tho

cookessentials, May 3, 12:37am
We used to sell it and you should be able to brown items in your casserole on the stove top. If you want the distributors details, let me know

cookessentials, May 3, 12:38am
Where did you buy it?

fatinthehat, May 3, 12:49am
I got it through a flybuys reward, took me forever to save enough points for it. It had brown marks on the bottom of it from just general use too. They said i had obviously been using high temperatures, which i haven't. I'll say though that with all that Le Creuset promise, and for the price, you should be able to melt gold in the darn things!

cookessentials, May 3, 1:03am
Not quite - The enamel will darken over time and spill marks can get burnt on ( the very reason I have the matt black and not the coloured enamel exterior) You dont need a high heat for cast iron anyway. The only thing I can think of would be thermal shock which occurs when you have a very hot piece of cast iron and then add cold water or to it - this can cause the enamel to crack and/or drop off. if I was you, i would telephone Domestic Agencies in Auckland, they are the distributors for the cookware in New Zealand.

Domestic Agencies Ltd
44 Walls Road

Penrose

Auckland City

Auckland 1061

P O Box 12321
Penrose
(09) 5250127 Fax:(09) 5250236

cookessentials, May 3, 1:06am
Below are the use and care instructions for le Creuset cookware

1. Our reputation and lifetime guarantee

Le Creuset is consistently chosen by leading chefs, restaurateurs, and those who just enjoy cooking; all of whom appreciate its performance, cooking advantages and style.

As the world's leading manufacturer of enamelled cast iron cookware, our reputation is unsurpassed. We maintain this position by excellence of quality, superior materials and innovative product design.

We guarantee all our products for a lifetime. Read our lifetime guarantee policy. LINK TO GUARANTEE POLICY
2. Our weight is our strength
Cast iron’s weight holds many advantages:

It absorbs and distributes heat more evenly, preventing “hot spots” and thus ensuring that the best flavour is brought out from the ingredients.

It ensures moisture and flavours are sealed in by well fitting lids.

It keeps its shape and maintains a flat, steady base for a lifetime.

It retains heat longer which keeps foods hot when serving.
3. Adaptability to all heat sources and versatility

The smooth enamelled base of Le Creuset cast iron cookware makes it ideally suited to modern glass topped hobs: ceramic, halogen and induction, and of course to gas, electric, solid fuel or Aga / Reyburn. If you change your cooking hob, you do not have to change your pans.

Cast iron has natural magnetic properties making it the ideal cookware choice for induction technology.

Sautéing, grilling, baking, roasting or casseroling, Le Creuset has a pot, pan or dish to do the job.

Most pieces can be used on the hob, in the oven or under the grill.

Le Creuset cookware is available in a wide range of colours that are equally at home in the kitchen or on your dining table.
4. Heat retention

No “hot spots”, the base, side walls and lid are all of the same quality and thickness so there are no areas where heat can be lost rapidly.

Once hot the pan can be removed from the heat leaving the food to cook in its own heat.

Cast iron retains heat so that food will be kept hot for some considerable time when served at the table. (The same property applies if the piece has been cooled; the content will be kept cold for a long time)
5. Hygienic and easy to clean

cookessentials, May 3, 1:06am
The vitreous enamel cooking surface is completely hygienic. Comparable to glass, it doesn’t stain, doesn’t absorb moisture, flavours or odours. (Matt black surfaces are also enamelled! )

It is perfect to hold foods that are marinating or for storing foods (raw or cooked) in the refrigerator or freezer.

It doesn’t rust and is dishwasher safe.

It doesn’t need any seasoning and is ready to use the first time out of the box!

It is very easy to clean and will keep its new appearance for many years.
6. Wide range of shapes, sizes and colours
Le Creuset cookware is available in:

A wide range of shapes so that you can build up a complete kitchen equipment. Whatever the recipe, Le Creuset has a piece of cookware which is suitable.

A wide range of sizes and meets equally well the cooking requirements of a single person, couple or big family.

A wide range of colours so that you find the one that best suits your style and home décor.

Care & Use

1 Select low to medium heat for best results. Do not use high heats at any time.

2 Select the size of your heat source so that it is as close as possible to the base size of your pan. This will prevent energy loss and overheating of the handle.

3 Gently pre-heat utensil on low setting for 2-3 minutes then add oil or liquid to the pan.

4 Use only wooden, plastic or heat resistant nylon tools, to avoid scratching the enamel.

5 Use a pot holder or oven glove to lift metal handled pans from the hob or oven.

6 Stand hot pans on a Le Creuset trivet, board or cloth, not directly on unprotected work tops.

7 When using pans on ceramic or halogen stovetops, always lift them (do not slide) to move.

8 If a pan is banged against a hard surface or is dropped, it may chip or break.

9 Pans with metal or heat resistant plastic handles may be used in the oven. The maximum temperature that should be used is 200°C or Gas Mark 6.

10 Cool pans for 10 minutes before washing in hot soapy water, rinse and dry thoroughly. Do not plunge a hot cocotte into cold water or fill with cold water as thermal shock and damage to the vitreous enamel may occur.

11 Remove stubborn food residues with a plastic or sponge scourer only-do not use metal scourers or abrasive cleaners of any kind.

12 Dry pans thoroughly after washing-do not leave to drain or put away while still damp.

13 Pans with metal or plastic handles may be washed in a dishwasher. Wooden handled products should not be put in a dishwasher.

fatinthehat, May 3, 1:14am
That's the place i sent it to. Oh and they even had the cheek when the sent a letter back to me saying they won't honour the guarantee, to keep my one and asked if i wanted it back! Well of course i do, at the very most it will make a reasonable pot plant holder! I couldn't beleive it.

cookessentials, May 3, 1:56am
Who was it there that you dealt with?
Needless to say, we do not deal with them any more - dont like their business practice.

2halls, May 3, 2:01am
Cookie, just a question ... Is Le Creuset still manufactured in France ? The reason I ask is that I have a number of LC items that are older than me ! And there is not one chip off the enamel, and they are still VERY well used, they seem virtually indestructible. I just wonder if they have changed their manufacturing practice in recent years ?

fatinthehat, May 3, 2:20am
The person who wrote me the letter is "Darko Bonch" - Director.

fatinthehat, May 3, 2:20am
2halls, is your enamel discoloured at all?

bernice1, May 3, 2:30am
I have Le Creuset and none of it chipped BUT I have heard similar complaints from people, all of whom have received their LC via Fly Buys, which makes me wonder is they are not the real deal. Oh and I bought mine direct from Doemstic Agencies with no problems with them.

fatinthehat, May 3, 2:31am
That's very interesting Bernice! I wonder if they are seconds or something. Do you know if any of those people have sent theirs back and got replacements?

2halls, May 3, 3:17am
No, my enamel is not marked, apart from maybe a tiny bit on the bottom, but I think with a bit of elbow grease I could probably get that off ? Have never tried (naughty me ! ). I seriously wonder if the product is now inferior to the 'original' oldie product ?

2halls, May 3, 3:18am
Sorry, I didn't answer that in the way you asked - it is certainly not discoloured.

ruby19, May 3, 4:05am
What about contacting the Head office of Le Creuset, and making sure the letter is made attention to someone high up in the company. Make sure you include a copy of correspondence from NZ especially the bit aboutif you actually wanted the product back. May be worth ago.

cookessentials, May 3, 4:06am
Hi Fiona
Yes it is still manufactured in france.

cookessentials, May 3, 4:06am
Aah, Mr Borich... . don't get me started!

nutzonfs, May 3, 4:08am
I have Le Crueset casseroles, frying pans and saucepans I bought in France 35 years ago. No chips. But enamel is subject to chipping if it is banged by something equally as strong.

cookessentials, May 3, 4:10am
I dont wish to sound rude but are you absolutley certain it is Le Creuset? - just wondered. Thermal shock is the only thing I can think of to be honest. I would suggest contacting France also

daisygirl, May 3, 4:15am
I have Le Creuset stock pots that are made in Thailand. The inside bottoms have become rough, not peeling or chipping, but everything sticks to them now, soup, chutneys etc. A real nuisance. I have other items made in FRance, frying pans , casseroles etc and NO problems with them.

fatinthehat, May 3, 5:09am
Do tell!

Yes it's definitely Le Creuset. It says France on the casserole as well. I've sent Darko Bonch a very nasty email threatening to take them to Fair Go.

I've never put cold water in the hot casserole so it can't have been thermal shock. I don't think i have anything hard enough to have damaged it from a knock either. I'm pretty sure those casseroles would destroy anything they were knocked against lol.

gazza1234, May 3, 6:12am
Go back to Fly Buys. We had a prob. with a similar James Oliver product were a pin hole in the enamel cause it to chip off. Got a very unhelpful response from the supplier but Fly Buys were brilliant and we received a replacement.