Secret to best TENDER beef casserole pls??

hhb, Apr 12, 2:41am
If you want really tender meat does it really just come down to time cooked?(obv the qualityof the meat) but also if you cook really, really slowly on lowish heat like 120?.Unbelievably today rump steak was cheaper (NewWorld)than blade/stewing steak so purchased some to make casserole.

mouse_y, Apr 12, 2:51am
slo cook rump for 3 hrs.. mmmMmmm
.. add red wine and onions carrots etc

davidt4, Apr 12, 2:53am
Tendernessvaries according to the cut of meat.Long slow cooking is best for cuts like shin, blade, brisket and cheek that have lots of connective tissue which will slowly soften and become luscious.

Rump is slightly problematic, in that it unless it is properly aged it is too tough for grilling as steaks, but too lacking in connective tissue and fat to be casseroled.If you cook it long enough to make it really tender it will fall to bits.

If I cook rump I get a thick piece, 3 - 4 cm,marinate it at least 24 hours in several cloves of garlic finely chopped, a tab each of Worcester sauce, red wine vinegar, crushed black peppercorns, olive oil, plus a thinly sliced onion.48 hours is better.Then brush off the debris, salt it well and grill over a high heat until medium-rare.Rest 5 minutes and slice fairly thinly to serve.

hhb, Apr 12, 2:56am
Yummy to both suggestions, but was wanting to cook this pm so better hurry up and get it on!thanks :-)

cookessentials, Apr 12, 3:24am
The long slow cooking is the key. My Sister whose partner is Persian makes the most delicious Persian food which is slowly cooked...she often uses gravy beef and it is always melt in the mouth.

farmers, Apr 12, 4:03am
yep, all comes down to slow cooking

socram, Apr 12, 6:11am
Or pressure cooking...

kuaka, Apr 12, 7:25am
I don't cook my rump steak casseroles for more than 2 hours, cook on about 150 deg C and it's always lovely and tender, and it has to be as hubby has no teeth (well he has, but they live in the cupboard as he has shingles and his gums are too sore to put his teeth in).He can't handle tough meat.

beaker59, Apr 12, 11:13am
YEah we often get the very cheap rump in our supermarket sometimes as low as $9 Kg and I buy heaps makes great casseroles though it isn't as flavourful as some of the cheaper meats so I generally use it for steak and kidney.

I do test a piece first in the frypan though sometimes its nice and tender others its not, if tender I go get more while its on special :)

lythande1, Apr 12, 8:24pm
Of course. Long and slow, plenty of moisture. You could probably make old boots tender that way.

tigg222, Apr 13, 11:54am
started cooking casseroles in the crockpot - meat is very tender & tastes great.Its great you can prepare it and turn it on to cook before work & when you get home its all done for you :)

micky_1, Apr 13, 5:17pm
crockpot lover here too more often than not I use rump steak as its usually on special cheaper thanthe traditional stewing meats...always tender and juicy

kuaka, Apr 13, 10:34pm
so if you do rump steak in the crockpot do you leave it in one large piece or dice it - maybe that's where I've gone wrong in the past, because I always dice my casserole meat, and we didn't enjoy it done in the crockpot, but in the casserole dish in the oven, it's lovely.

ohhlaladevil, Apr 14, 8:35pm
rump steak makes stringy stew, use chuck steak for stew and throw in a bottle of beer, makes it super yum!

micky_1, Apr 14, 9:04pm
always diced it and its never been stringy ...ever, to be honest I have no idea what I am doing any different to any one else lol maybe Ill just go quietly back to my lil corner of the world...

schnauzer11, Apr 16, 1:08pm
Here's where the dear old pressure-cooker will have the meat disintegrating in 40 mins,with all the lovely flavours locked in.Let's hear it for the PC !!

dollertree, Apr 16, 6:59pm
Yes, slow and long cooking is best option. But if you dont want to cook for too long use Meat tenderiser. Shan is the brand you might find in Indian stores...just for quick reference see:- http://www.ishopindian.com/shan-meat-tenderizer-pr-23637.html.