Left casserole out all night??

mac81, Feb 14, 9:40pm
Hi all, i left a meat casserole out all night (just cooked) by mistake, was cooling it before putting in fridge but I forgot. Do you reckon I should throw it out? or perhaps freeze it to kill any bacteria?Thanks for any advice.

sue62, Feb 14, 9:42pm
Definitely throw it out. Freezing will not kill bacteria.

greenforde, Feb 14, 10:03pm
Toss to be safe.

cookessentials, Feb 14, 10:07pm
We have a thread on this with all the fors and againsts, whys and wherefors. I shall bump it for you to save goin through the debate again.

245sam, Feb 14, 10:15pm
mac81, the nights are so warm that I can only agree with the previous posters - better to be safe than sorry and although I haven't personally experiencedfood poisoning, my DH has (not my cooking, or his either!!!) and it was a most unpleasant experience.:-))

margyr, Feb 14, 10:23pm
I myself would chuck it, but did work for a chap that for the last 13 years has had no power, he used to cook mince etc on his little gas stove and just heat it up every day till finished. He was never sick, much to my surprise.

mac81, Feb 14, 10:25pm
Thanks everyone!!I thought this may be the case .......

elliehen, Feb 14, 10:35pm
There are rare people with cast-iron stomachs.

mac81, even the thought of eating it probably makes you nauseous now, so it's doubtful that you'd enjoy it ;)

sam595, Feb 14, 11:18pm
Hi.
If its beef it will be fine.As long as it was put in fridge first thing this am
Have done this myself more than once. if it was chicken it would have to be chucked.
jen

pickles7, Feb 15, 4:17am
if you have to ask.... throw it out. Think of the nice young girl who has just died, less than 24 hours. get real people. Some people are raised with dodgy food practices, and could get away with most things. Others just die!!!!!

andrea1978, Feb 16, 3:45am
Interesting ... I've always eaten left overs that have been out all night in oven or pot & have never had any issues.I did not come from a home that had 'dodgy' food practices at all, but nice stereotyping there!I just make sure that leftovers (whether left out or put in the fridge) are heated until piping hot.Who has ever died in NZ from eating leftovers whether left out or not FGS?!

duckmoon, Feb 16, 6:09am
I use my eyes and nose to make my decisions...

darlingmole, Feb 16, 6:59am
only ever had food poisoning the once, from a pie, cooked at home from Ohakune supermarket ... ate it at noon by 3 wasn't feeling flash, by 4pm was less than flash, head ache and feeling very uchh, by 6pm violently ill until 11.30pm ish (complete with a mini earthquake!) and felt shakey and dodgey for days.
My darling Mum had this saying:when in doubt?LEAVE OUT!

so my advice is to follow my mums advice

elliehen, Feb 16, 8:32am
Vomiting feels like dying a thousand deaths ;)