Cracked casserole dish

spoeklet, Mar 30, 5:12am
Today I bought a ceramic, oven-proof casserole dish from Stevens. I used it in the oven at 160 degrees and it has now got a crack running through it
So pissed off

jessie981, Mar 30, 5:13am
If it doesn't recommend a cooking temperature, back I'd go tomorrow for a refund (not replacement).

spoeklet, Mar 30, 5:19am
I might ask to be reimbursed and buy a cast iron one. Although, those are pretty expensive.

kinna54, Mar 30, 5:35am
No way should it crack at that temp. take it back. Did it cook dry?as in cook away all the liquid.You didn't take it from the oven and fill it with anything cold i.e. as in serving the casserole and then running cold water into the dish to soak it?
Definitely time for a refund.

spoeklet, Mar 30, 5:37am
No, I didn't do anything like that - maybe there was a tiny crack I didn't notice (although I saw the shop assistant checking it) which expanded from the heat??? I was really careful with it. :(
Are there any benefits to the cast iron ones?

kuaka, Mar 30, 7:09am
spoeklet - I have a cast iron casserole dish which was a wedding present (first marriage) back in 1967, and I would love a dollar for every time it's been used.It's a "Waterford, made in Ireland" and very similar to Le Creuset, and after all this time the surface of the inside is just starting to bubble and flake.I'd love to know if it can be re-surfaced.And one of the things I love about it, it always seems to cook things faster than the pyrex one I have.

cookessentials, Mar 30, 7:24am
A Stevens own brand? they basically copy the good quality ones and have them made as cheap as chips in China. Take it back and get a refund.

cookessentials, Mar 30, 7:24am
Dont buy a Stevens "copy" of an enamelled cast iron. Save your money and buy a good one.

spoeklet, Mar 30, 8:55am
Wow, I just looked online at how much the good ones cost. I will have to have a cheap and nasty Stevens for now while I save up!

kuaka, Mar 30, 9:08am
what about a "Dutch oven".These are usually available from the likes of Hammer Hardware or Mitre 10.They do need to be "conditioned" by coating in oil and baking in the oven but once you've done that they are brilliant.

spoeklet, Mar 30, 9:12am
Great! I will first get my $$$ back, then go check it out. I'm stressed they will be difficult about it - it was reduced in price and although they should refund, they could be sh*tty - I'm sick and don't want to have to deal with any bull***t:(

spoeklet, Mar 30, 9:16am
I think I will try another ceramic while I save up for a cast iron - I like this one - and it has a guarantee
http://www.thehomestoreonline.co.nz/itemdetails/Bia-2L-Casserole-33X20x9cm--Ash-Brown/2510.aspx

cookessentials, Mar 30, 8:48pm
BIA is agood, basic stuff, mainly used by cafe's and restaurants,so you should be fine. Shame you dont have a Moore Wilson up there, much cheaper than the Homestore.

spoeklet, Mar 30, 11:51pm
Ok, she was really rude and horrible about it.I felt pressured into a store credit - she was really angry when I said I didn't want a replacement. :(
Anyway, I got some mini loaf tins (which I needed anyway) and will buy a denby dish on here.She was such a bee'atch.

kay141, Mar 30, 11:55pm
I agree cast iron is best but I can't lift it empty, let alone with any food in it. I would love one I could put on the stove top to brown and then in the oven.

wilson16, Mar 31, 12:04am
I wonder if they have had problems in the past it she was 'checking it' too.

cookessentials, Mar 31, 1:40am
from the consumer guarantees act:
When I bought a pair of jeans on sale there was a sign saying, "No refunds on sale items". Is this legal?
No. The supplier is illegally attempting to contract out of the Act. If you find a defect in the jeans after you buy them, you have the right to return them and ask that they be repaired. If the supplier refuses or cannot repair them in a reasonable time, you can ask for a replacement pair or a refund.

The same applies to "seconds" (goods sold as damaged). However, you cannot complain about the defect that made the product a "second" in the first place, if you were told about that defect prior to buying it."

Just because it was a sale item, does not mean that you cannot request a refund. The item was not fit for purpose..it is of inferior quality and cracked. You do not have to accept either a credit or a similar item. You may request a refund. If it is an item that you just "changed your mind about" the retailer is quite within their rights to refuse to take it back ( not talking about a faulty item here) You can contact the consumer afairs dept on (04) 4742750.

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/for-consumers/goods/faulty-goods

cookessentials, Mar 31, 1:41am
That is why i wont recommend them. 80% of their stuff is almost an exact copy of a good quality product that they get made cheap in China...it is not worth wasting your money on.

jimmy, Jul 19, 4:15am
Buy Temuka; a lot less expensive, quality and will cook as near as good as a Ranzware,Waterford or any other quality cast ironware.
We swap etween Ranzware (old Radiation NZ cast iron)and our Temuka. Either of them never fail to perform. From my experience, Stevens ain't much cop......

jimmy, Jul 19, 4:19am
... oh except for a 'you beauty' WMF pressure cooker we purchased 30 or more years back. When Stevens were everywhere (?) and had a good line of quality stock. Spares? now that is another story lol