Roast beef?

Page 1 / 2
l4holdings, Oct 24, 6:26pm
I have to do a 'traditional' English roast for christmas this year and want some advice on the best cut of beef to use and method of cooking? Please and thank you :-)

bisloy, Oct 24, 10:36pm
If you like the long cook method and want the fat for the roast vegetables and yorkshire pudding, then go for the rolled roast. If you like the lean and rare roast go for a topside. There is also a bolar/pot roast which is a covered roast on the stove top.
So, I guess you have some decisions to make. Have a think about the time you will have and what your expectations are.

pony_girl, Oct 25, 1:37am
If I was going to do a special roast beef, it would always be a whole (or at least a large piece) of Rump. It is always beautifully tender and has a much nicer flavour than topside and the fat crisps nicely, plus what fat renders off it is great for roasting the veggies in. Served with loads of Yorkshire pudding's, gravy and horseradish cream - my favourite roast, yum.

uli, Oct 25, 2:32am
If you "have to do it" - then ask the person you try to make it for what cut they prefer. Otherwise you slave for hours in a hot kitchen only to hear later that is was an inferior cut (which rolled roast could be classed as - as really it is just brisket - which most Europeans use for boiling beef).

Make sure you know what is expected before embarking on a "have to" cooking session!

samanya, Oct 25, 4:08am
Nothing the matter with roast brisket (rolled beef) as long as it's cooked long & slowly (this is NZ, not Europe). Not all rolled beef is brisket, btw. Ribeye rolls are incomparable when cooked well.
OP, this may help http://www.recipes.co.nz/COOKING+METHODS/roast.html

rainrain1, Oct 25, 4:31am
Rolled roast is the one I would go for, moist, fatty, and delicious. I'm a kiwi, so I don't know what the English do. Horseradish cream on the side

uli, Oct 25, 5:05am
I didn't say that anything was "the matter" with rolled roasts - however it is a very inferior meat in Europe and made into boiled meat for broth only (and often not eaten).

If someone "has to cook" an "English roast" then I would make very sure what the recipient wants to have before buying anything. Meat is not cheap if you do not have your own and such a roast could account to $50 easily!

So it would be prudent to check what is expected rather than ask on a NZ messageboard - not many of whom have come straight from England. Maybe better to ask on an English messageboard?

rainrain1, Oct 25, 5:50am
Rolled roast yum yum, beautiful cold as well.

kay141, Oct 25, 6:27am
Isn't it interesting how many things we have available are not as good as those in Europe?

A naughty thought springs to mind.

gaspodetwd, Oct 25, 6:34am
Standing rib roast ( with bones) if you can find them or get a butcher to make one up. Failing that, sirloin roast. I was brought up in the UK, so these are the closest.

Bolar roast and topside are too tough and require slower cooking. You want a fast roast - so it's pink inside. Perfect cold for sandwiches. Took me years to find what worked for beef and Yorkshire puds!

samanya, Oct 25, 6:43am
I hear you!

samanya, Oct 25, 6:44am
I agree, the leaner cuts are harder to keep moist imo.

samanya, Oct 25, 6:45am
Have you not heard of rolled rib eye?

daarhn, Oct 25, 7:01am
You've asked for a traditional roast beef dinner. There are quite a few on line as you would have seen. Is it traditional for international guests/ relatives? If so why not try our own kiwi version instead?

Sirloin or strip steak
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/spicy-barbecued-beef/514 http://www.annabel-langbein.com/annabel/blog/what-to-cook-for-christmas-beef-on-the-barbecue/
Bolar Blade Roast Beef
http://www.countdown.co.nz/recipes/recipe?cid=73239 Eye fillet, sirloin, rump festive Roast beef http://www.recipes.co.nz/shop/ROASTS/Festive+Roast+Beef.html

For cooking and methods of different roast meat cuts
http://www.recipes.co.nz/COOKING+METHODS/roast.html

beaker59, Oct 25, 9:39am
For our family a whole roast rump at Christmas is usual along with a roast pork shoulder and a couple of big roast chooks but then we are a big family.

l4holdings, Oct 25, 5:21pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. Saying 'I have to' is probably a bit dramatic of me lol. My mums partner is English and has requested a traditional English roast for Xmas and having never cooked one before I go as a little unsure. :-)

daarhn, Oct 25, 7:33pm
No stress for yourself aye. tis time to enjoy. prep and practice everything and if it looks like its going custard then announce the decision you're going to throw it all on the barby with lots of seafood, gorgeous pavs, trifles and do it our way, better still pack it all up and go to the beach. extra grog to pacify ya mas partner should do the trick. wonder what the partner would say to a hangi? hehe

jan2242, Oct 25, 8:25pm
With thanks to Fisher - this is his recipe and is great.

Beef Bolar / Topside Roast: Preheat oven to 200 c
Nice long piece of Bolar roast Sliver 3 cloves of garlic and using a small sharp knife make incisions into the beef and place in slivers of garlic.
Brush olive oil over meat Mix 50ml of cream 2 tbsp of wholegrain mustard and 1 tbsp of Hot English mustard together.
You can replace the Hot mustard with Horseradish if you wish for a change. Place meat fat side up in a roasting dish.
Rub/pour/brush the thickened cream mixture all over the meat Grind FRESH black pepper over the top and sprinkle with garlic salt.
This is great if it can be prepared and left to marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight , then placed in the roasting dish uncovered.
I put some finely chopped rosemary all over the top and rosemary sprigs under the roast
. -
. -
. -
. -
. -
Pre heat oven then roast at 200 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes (or internal temperature of 70).
Cooking time is relevant to size of roast This hot oven gives a crusty outside and rare pink inside.
You can turn the roast once at 25 mins and then back again for the last 15 mins or so but do not open the door after that
Turn the oven OFF ~ NOW DON'T OPEN THE OVEN FOR TWO HOURS ~ NOT EVEN TO PEEK :}}
As serving time approaches, set oven at 170 degrees for last 30 minutes of cooking time.
Take the meat out and place on cutting board and leave, covered with foil to rest for at least 10 minutes.
. -
. -
. -
. -
. -
Remove the rosemary sprigs from the pan and make a sauce thicken with 1-2 tbsp cornflour and a little stock stirring over low heat.
This is a MEDIUM beef and don’t be put off by it bleeding reddy clear juices If it is red blood like then it hasn’t cooked long enough.
The recipe above is for a thawed larger roast about 5 pound to 6.5 pound roast Smaller roasts say 3 to 4 pound will take about 40 - 45 mins.
I cook it hard and fast for a shorter period. then leaving it to rest/cook in the oven is a method I use near on every week

sarahb5, Oct 26, 7:48am
Traditional Christmas roast in England would usually be turkey rather than beef - just saying .

Yorkshire puddings need to be cooked in a hot oven and batter poured into really hot fat so it puffs up nicely so that might be tricky with slow roast at lower temperature

awoftam, Oct 26, 8:12am
I'd ask him to cook it - so you know how its done.

awoftam, Oct 26, 8:14am
I don't think so - traditionally the english roast is beef, as opposed to american which is roast turkey.

sarahb5, Oct 26, 8:20am
No, traditional Sunday lunch is roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (until beef got far too expensive) but traditional Christmas dinner in the UK is most definitely turkey - I'm English so I've had quite a few traditional English Christmas dinners and they were never beef

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_dinner#United_Kingdom

awoftam, Oct 26, 8:38am
I stand corrected, Never knew that - thanks, sarahb5.

smallwoods, Oct 26, 10:16am
I was thinking this further up, as FIL is English (yes warm beer, kept in the hot water cupboard).

sarahb5, Oct 26, 10:32am
That's a myth now that more "lager" is drunk than bitter