Carrots - what is the problem?

Page 2 / 2
sossie1, Sep 5, 6:20am
I will answer that question after I finish my bottle of wine

samanya, Sep 5, 6:23am
Haaa - you go girl.
I often wonder why some of the self proclaimed 'healthiest' eaters . have such a friggin awful attitude. could there be a link, ya reckon?

uli, Sep 5, 8:19am
Just try for once not to be silly.
You never asked a question - you tried to say that I buy supermarket carrots when I have said that I live out of my garden - which I do. I do not buy supermarket carrots.

I told OP that we up here in the north we do not seem to have that problem with substandard carrots in the supermarket. That was all - for fun (which seems to be lost on you and i will not repeat it) I told of the hilarious Countdown/Pak'n'Save wars.

uli, Sep 5, 8:22am
Lovely article that - i thoroughly enjoyed it - have not yet checked which of the grain lobby has paid for it.

And then there are researchers that claim going vegan shrinks your brain, while eating meat grows it . there you go more to read for you :)

samanya, Sep 5, 8:24am
Some of us are having a lot of fun in this thread. II think it may have bypassed you.
OK . you think I'm silly . go for it. I know that I'm not silly, my quals prove that!
see #28?

lynja, Sep 5, 7:44pm
back to carrots. I am finding them beautifully sweet and delicious at the moment. I buy my vegies at the supermarket as the turn over is such that they are far fresher than the local road side stalls where most of their produce comes in once a week, unless they have their own seasonal corn or apples.
Best fresh and cheap vegetables are from Upper Hutt Pak and Save, particularly cheap and fresh in the weekends. They are grown in Levin.

kay141, Sep 5, 7:52pm
Even better at the Riverbank market in Lower Hutt on Saturday mornings. Very fresh and no middle man to pay.

sampa, Sep 5, 10:23pm
I purchased some of the Countdown $1 per kilo so called brushed Agria potatoes and wasn't impressed. went straight back to a pre-packed named brand the following week. But, that's spuds, not carrots - maybe the cheap carrots are okay. I know I bought some of them at the same time but can't recall one way or the other. Perhaps it's a growing/seasonal thing that is effecting the quality in some places.

biggles45, Sep 5, 10:34pm
Can you grow your own OP? We ran out last year and bought what looked like nice fresh, crisp carrots, they were ok quality wise but they had no taste compared to the ones straight out of the garden. If you are unable to manage a vege patch, a couple of raised boxes might help. Doesn't help immediately of course, but once you have the bed prepared you can grow them pretty much all year round.

buzzy110, Sep 6, 12:43am
Lol. Karen Hardy and her team eh? Jenny Brand-Miller was a member of that team. That is the same JB-M who is personal chair in human nutrition in the School of Molecular Biosciences at the University of Sydney. The same JB-M who has made trillions out of writing and selling books on low GI. Funny. You have constantly railed against writers of pop-diet books. Maybe you make an exception for JB-M as her philosophy agrees with you?

Here is a quote that may interest you:

"The University of Sydney has a strong financial interest in the glycaemic index and the testing and labelling programme that it runs, and needs to keep the GI relevant."

More on JB-M:

". she was a Dietitian that rented herself out by the hour to food corporates, including Coca-Cola where she was the author of a piece of propaganda showing how children thrived on Coke, helping with their energy and hydration levels."

Do you think that she is not being totally funded in her work by sugar and grain companies and interested partners? Do you think that the University always turns away sponsorship, preferring instead, to fund all her research themselves? Can the University afford to do that I wonder? Would she accept funding from any organisation that wants to find a different "truth". Would she say she was wrong all these years and would the university let her? Or would she continue to push her 'licence to print money' barrel?

Her integrity is in doubt therefore so is any research she is associated with.

socram, Sep 6, 1:01am
Raised boxes or veg patch still takes up garden space - which is very limited.

If I was to grow anything, it might well be stuff that grows tall and needs less ground space, such as runner beans (which I might well do this year).

Last season, 3 tomato plants in a bag of tomato compost, on the deck. Over 300 tomatoes from two of the plants and just 3 from the 3rd! Picking the right varieties is either a matter of trial and error or more growing knowledge than I posses - which is about zero, but carrots in the same ground space? Maybe a dozen at best, so not really worth it.

The original point of the post was as much a rant at the supermarkets and retailers as anything, for daring to foist substandard produce on us, then the healthy lobby want to know why so many people shun fresh vegetables.

When you can sometimes get meat cheaper per kilo than some veg, you have to wonder how times have changed.

wasala, Sep 6, 1:42am
Your 'quotes' above are simply the opinions of that paleo guy. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist (as he does). That's why they don't like dietitians, who hold genuine qualifications

Re. Jennie-Brand Miller:

'A formal inquiry into allegations brought against a University of Sydney academic and her research collaborator has found no research misconduct occurred.
There was no breach of the University's research code of conduct or of the Australian code for the responsible conduct of research.
Consequently, there is no basis for further investigation and the allegations have been dismissed.'

Welcome back by the way

wasala, Sep 6, 4:51am
Ha Ha. Next time I'll try harder!

wasala, Sep 6, 4:59am
I still haven't figured why Jennie Brand Miller is relevant to a spirited discussion about carrots but I do note, with interest, that she has bi-lateral cochlear ear implants.

gardner12, Sep 6, 5:12am
so glad that we are able to grow our own, altho my gardener husband does short change us sometimes and I have to buy a few before the next lot is ready to start picking, so much better to have the crunch of a new pick than the wiltered ones you buy,

dibble35, Sep 6, 8:22pm
Well I bought what looked like lovely looking carrots from the local orchard/vege place, and they (it) were disappointing, not at all sweet. Mind you that was only one i tried. will have to go back and try another raw - dont really like them cooked.

dibble35, Sep 6, 8:25pm
Ive never been able to grow good carrots- whats the secret?
Low nitrogen as I know that causes them to go hairy (baby roots) and deeply tilled soil so they dont fork into weird shapes. Anything else? I still have fond memories of going out to my poppas vege garden as a kid and picking fresh carrots to munch on, they were so sweet!

uli, Sep 7, 9:29am
After the above ridicule I do not think anyone is interested anymore to contribute to this thread.
And yes I do grow very nice ones myself LOL :)

wasala, Sep 7, 9:43am
Dibble35 wasn't ridiculing anybody. His/hers are perfectly valid questions, for goodness sake. My own granddad dug loads oysters into the soil and his carrots were amazing!

wendalls, Sep 7, 12:50pm
It doesn't matter who wants the advice, Uli is getting provoked in many threads. It's getting a bit tedious. How long will the payback go on? And now Buzzy getting it as well. I don't mind reading discussions/ debates on subjects that people feel they are knowledgeable about, as I am very interested in this topic too. But do you need to add in the snarky comments repeatedly to try and bring people down? It's more bullying than ever in here.

kay141, Sep 7, 9:31pm
I don't think those posters are getting picked on, it seems to me that others are now standing up for themselves.

As for snarky comments, was there any need for uli's answer to dibbles question about how to grow carrots?

wendalls, Nov 7, 8:09am
I didn't think Ulis comment Was noticeably rude unlike many of the other posts. Maybe she didn't need to quote Dibbles question but she probably had Some advice and knew she'd get a "bollocking" for any response she made. she could probably have said that yes " seafood, fish carcasses etc have done wonders in her garden, " plus more tips, but is not bothering now.
You may see it as standing up to her but she hasn't posted anything to stand up to since her return that I've seen. There is "debating politely" and then there is "let's gang up and put the boot in."