Pressure cooker problem

bobbingalong, Aug 4, 3:08am
I have an older pressure cooker. I haven't used it for a while and went to use it again. I now remember that it hasn't been working properly. Once I get lots of steam coming through the vent on the pot lid when I put the safety valve on it never gets enough steam back up. Food I have cooked in it iseems to be boiled not pressure cooked (therefore not fully cooked for the length of time it should be ready in a pressure cooker IYKWIM) Is it the safety valve problem! Do I needa new one! If so where do I buy one from! It is aHawkins Universal brand pressure cooker 8 (+3/4!) pint size

mm12345, Aug 4, 4:43am
I assume that you mean that when you put the weighted cap on the vent, then it's not building up pressure.
The "safety valve" should be a separate valve (or two) permanently closed, but will open (hopefully) to relieve pressure to stop the thing from exploding if the main valve gets blocked.
If it's not building up any pressure, then perhaps the lid seal is faulty.These days they are all silicone rubber, so can tear, but don't perish like old rubber seals.Replacement seals might be available.If the seal looks okay, remove it and clean out under the seal, in case it's losing pressure there.
Check the main pressure valve is working - if not then check it out to find out why (corrosion or something stopping the valve from seating properly.Do not add extra weight to force it to seal, although some models come with different weights for different pressures, it won't take too much extra weight to make it dangerous.

nauru, Aug 4, 5:33am
As mm12345 says, It sounds like it could be the seal that needs needs replacing.I have the same problem with my old prestige but I'm finding it difficult to obtain a replacement for it.Now looking at sending to the UK for a new one as it seems my only option.

chrissie91, Aug 4, 8:44am
Mitre 10 stocks the prestige seals. $39.00

bobbingalong, Aug 4, 8:53am
Thanks I will try to take the seal off and clean it. It doesn't appear to be perished -butit was my mums so it is 30+years old. Any idea where to buy Hawkins Universal brand pressure cooker seal!

cookessentials, Aug 4, 8:59am
Yes, I was going to suggest the gasket/seal. I would be very surprised if you will get a seal for it. I am not aware of this brand at all.

mm12345, Aug 4, 10:48am

nauru, Aug 4, 11:50pm
I tried there, they only type they had was the grey one for a SS model, no good for my aluminium one.