Icing Sugar Problem

indy95, Oct 5, 5:04am
I'm curious to know whether anyone else has had trouble when making icing. I couldn't get the very well known brand of icing sugar at the supermarket and bought an " inhouse " brand instead. I haven't any problems with other products in this range but the icing sugar had a strange gritty texture. I wasn't happy with the consistency of the icing even after giving it a thorough beating with an electric mixer but had to use it anyway. It hasn't set properly and has a slightly gluey appearance. I used it with the Chocolate Sludge Cake which makes a lovely cake by the way.

buzzy110, Oct 5, 5:20am
What did the ingredients panel say? Perhaps that is what made the difference. **shrugs**

gardie, Oct 5, 5:30am
Have had that before too - only stick with Pams and Chelsea I think it is now - I think it just hasn't been powdered well enough.

beccy-bec, Oct 5, 8:11am
yep, i purchased homebrand icing sugar a few weeks back and it was revollting, when i checked the bag it stated the ingrediants as icing sugar and cornflour, so i'm guessing a little too much cornflour

cookessentials, Oct 5, 8:29pm
Cant say I have noticed,however, I usually only buy the Chelsea icing sugar.

indy95, Oct 5, 9:15pm
So do I, cookessentials, but as it was unavailable I had to settle for what was in stock. Needless to say, I won't be making that mistake again.

buzzy110, Oct 5, 10:39pm
Yes. That would have been my assumption as well. They all have cornflour in it - that is the anti-clumping agent, lol, but I think that the ratios are wrong in the cheaper brands.

malcovy, Oct 6, 4:16am
I always use Pams and one time bought Homebrand and it was too gritty and will never buy it again.

bunny51, May 11, 3:53am
I have never had a problem with homebrand