Why does my chocolate icing crack

hyborn, Apr 5, 8:11pm
the last couple of times I melted chocolate and used it to ice slices its cracked on me - the last one I made meld chocolate put straight on slice (that came out of fridge) and cut straight away but still cracked - it looks horrible!! :-( what am I doing wrong please?

lx4000, Apr 5, 8:15pm
Are you cooling it in the fridge once its on? That could be it.

margyr, Apr 5, 8:36pm
when you cut it put the knife into hot water and dry the blade, then cut while the knife is still hot. Use a long bladed knife and put it point down on the edge of the cake and then in one motion pull it down slicing the cake in one quick slice, re-heat the knife and cut some more.

bitser, Apr 5, 10:17pm
add a little butter to it

hyborn, Apr 5, 10:38pm
mmmm ok I did try the hot knife and didnt work, my slice was straight out of the fridge so wondered if that was the reason it was to cold.
I am putting back in fridge but the last one I cut straight away before putting in fridge.
might have to change to just ordinary chocolate icing if I cant get it right just looks so ugly!!

marie196, Apr 5, 10:58pm
x2

shop-a-holic, Apr 6, 2:55am
60mls of Rice Bran Oil (or any other vegetable oil) to 200gms chocolate. Makes it softer.

lissy73, Apr 6, 3:07am
Lately I have been using 1/4C sour cream to 100gm chocolate on my slices. i always have sour cream in the fridge, never cream, so it works for me

rkcroft, Apr 6, 3:56am
I normally allow my chocolate topped slices to come to room temperature before cutting them with a hot knife.Never have any cracking problems this way.

hyborn, Apr 6, 8:11pm
the last couple of times I melted chocolate and used it to ice slices its cracked on me - the last one I made meld chocolate put straight on slice (that came out of fridge) and cut straight away but still cracked - it looks horrible! :-( what am I doing wrong please!

lx4000, Apr 6, 8:15pm
Are you cooling it in the fridge once its on! That could be it.

hyborn, Apr 6, 10:38pm
mmmm ok I did try the hot knife and didnt work, my slice was straight out of the fridge so wondered if that was the reason it was to cold.
I am putting back in fridge but the last one I cut straight away before putting in fridge.
might have to change to just ordinary chocolate icing if I cant get it right just looks so ugly!