Good Chocolate icing recipe

muffin2, Feb 15, 12:09am
I've decided to make a cake for my wifes birthday in March - I know how to bake / cook and have a recipe for a moist chocolate cake.
My plan is to make a double layered cake (big bottom layer, smaller top layer) and cover the whole cake in chocolate icing.

I know how to make icing with 2c icing sugar, 1T cocoa, knob of butter and about 1T boiling water, but wondered if anyone had a recipe for a more decadent chocolate icing?

I would like to 'step it up' a bit and earn more brownie points with Mrs M

geldof, Feb 15, 2:07am
google ganache.
Basically chocolate melt4ed in cream.

pickles7, Feb 15, 2:26am
muffin2 wrote:
I've decided to make a cake for my wifes birthday in March - I know how to bake / cook and have a recipe for a moist chocolate cake.
My plan is to make a double layered cake (big bottom layer, smaller top layer) and cover the whole cake in chocolate icing.

I know how to make icing with 2c icing sugar, 1T cocoa, knob of butter and about 1T boiling water, but wondered if anyone had a recipe for a more decadent chocolate icing?

I would like to 'step it up' a bit and earn more brownie points with Mrs M[/quote

I am a bit worried about how you will explain away to your good wife, what made you choose the ''big bottom and small top'' cake in the first place. I just asked my good husband if he would make me a cake with a big bottom and a small top. hell no! was the reply.

buzzy110, Feb 15, 2:34am
Freudian slip for sure?

He really meant to say a two tier cake.

buzzy110, Feb 15, 2:38am
However. I agree with geldof. You cannot go past a well made ganache icing for decadence.

For extra brownie points try the shiny ganache as per this link:

https://www.mycakeschool.com/recipes/shiny-ganache-for-pouring/

pickles7, Feb 15, 4:16am
I thought the same, just got my head to thinking about big bottoms and small tops, lol . Some were the other way round, thoughts,that was.

muffin2, Feb 15, 11:55pm
Haha. I see what I did there. yes I meant to say 2 tiered cake with the bottom layer being the bigger layer - no reflection on Mrs M herself!

holly-rocks, Feb 16, 12:11am
This recipe is a goodie and only 2 ingredients ~ https://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/chocolate-ganache/280/

sherrydog, Feb 16, 7:16am
I simply buy a block of dark chocolate and melt it over boiling water, adding a little butter, slap on cake and there you are.

marcs, Feb 17, 4:46am
Chocolate ganache will be a decadent icing if you want something nice. You can whip the ganache but you need to cool this down till it is almost setting and then whip. Makes a lighter airier icing. You can also add a little soft butter while whipping if you want to. I also have a chocolate fudge icing recipe which is well liked but I find it too sweet. Choc mousse filling and using as icing is also nice.

molly37, Oct 23, 9:05pm
I iced my daughters cake with rosettes, its so so easy and looks great.

By the way, what a lovely thoughtful gesture!