carrot soup or another use for carrots

deecee366, Jan 13, 2:31am
i've been given some carrots and want to make sure I use them all. Does anyone have any good recipes for carrot soup? Thanks for any help.

jessie981, Jan 13, 2:35am
Carrot Coup (Aunt Daisy)
Scrape & cut 1lb carrots into rings. Cut into inch lenghts some outside sticks & tops of celery. Lightly sautee in a saucepan for 5 mins shaking occasionally. Add 1&1/2 pints of water & simmer approx 1 hour. Mash vegetables & thicken. Simmer 10 -15 mins.

jessie981, Jan 13, 2:43am
Carrot Marmalade
Grate 5 lge carrots. Slice 4 lemons & soak overnight in 6 breakfast cups of water. Next day boil for 1 hour, add 4lb sugar & boil further 1&1/2 hours.

Carrot Pickle
Boil carrots gently in salted water till nearly dons. Remove, out into cold water & rub off skins. Cut into even slices, pack tightly into jars & pour over spiced vinegar - 1 quart vinegar, 1&1/2lb sugar, 1/2oz cloves, 1TBSP cinnamon, 1tsp mace, 1tsp allspice.

245sam, Jan 13, 3:02am
x1
Alison Holst's Carrot (and Orange) Soup
Note(a): The addition of the orange is optional.

50g butter
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
2 large onions, very finely chopped
500g carrots, unpeeled and grated
2 tsp sugar
4 tsp instant chicken stock
4 cups water
1 orange, optional - see note below
1/4-1/2 cup cream - see note below

Cook the garlic and onions in the butter for 5-10 minutes, without browning. Add the carrot, sugar, instant stock and water, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Purée if desired. Add enough orange juice and finely grated rind to give the strength of orange flavour you want. Whisk in as much cream as you like, and adjust the seasonings carefully. Reheat without boiling.

Note (b) I find that 1/2 tsp finely grated orange rind, 2 dssp orange juice and 1/4 cup cream produces the flavour and creaminess that we prefer.

This soup recipe and more carrot soup recipes can be found at:-

jenniemc1, Jan 17, 4:53am
Wonderful Carrot Salad that keeps in a jar in the fridge for weeks!
500grms cooked carrots (sliced)1 chopped Onion;1small chopped green pepper;1/4cup chopped celery;
Mix together=1/4cup vinegar;3Tbsp oil;1/4tsp dry mustard;1/4cup Tomato soup (or if using Tomsauce dble ) 1dsp Black sauce;s&p;sugar or sweetener to taste. I smetimes double this sauce.
Bring to boil, pour over carrot onions etc. Bottle and marinate for approx 12 hrs . Keep in fridge. Enjoy

davidt4, Jan 17, 6:24am
Carrot Hummus

1. 5 kg carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 ¼ c extra v olive oil
¼ c tahini
¼ c lemon juice
4 garlic cloves
1 tab cumin seeds, toasted and pulverised
pinch cayenne
¼ chopped parsley
salt a& pepper

Heat oven to 180C. Toss carrots in ¼ c olive oil, spread on a baking sheet and roast 25 min until soft. Cool.

Combine carrots, tahini, juice, garlic, cumin, cayenne and parsley in food processor, process until smooth. With motor running gradually add rest of oil. Add salt & pepper, process again until smooth and airy.

If it has been refrigerated, may need to beat in a little more oil to regain velvety texture.

davidt4, Jan 17, 6:25am
Turkish Carrot Purée (mezze)

4 large carrots, peeled, sliced, steamed
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tab olive oil
2 tab lemon juice
salt & pepper

sauce:

4 tab thick yoghurt
1 tab lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tab fresh mint, chopped
1 tab fresh dill, chopped

Mix sauce ingredients.

Purée carrots with other ingredients (smooth or coarse). Spoon into serving dish and make well in centre, pour in sauce.

Serve with flatbread.

joeygirl76, Jan 17, 8:54am
Try cutting or slicing them and roasting them in the oven. They kind of get caramelized. Very tasty with other roast veges.

buzzy110, Jul 14, 2:02am
Fermented Carrots

Note: The juice they are fermented in is fizzy when opened and a wonderful tasting tonic. I often open them just for the juice, but I eat the carrots as well.

Cut carrots into classic kiwi sticks (I make mine small using my mandolin) and put into a preserving jar or jars

Per Jar:
3tspns unprocessed rock or sea salt (dissolved in 1/4cup boiling water)

Add 4 Tbspns whey (Make it by draining a tub of plain yoghurt. The clear liquid that is produced is the whey. The white solid yoghurt is beautiful and often call yoghurt cheese or Greek yoghurt)

Your choice of flavourings - plain, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, dill seeds, allspice berries, black pepper, chillies, juniper berries (I crush the hard spices)

Add filtered water, rain water or bottled water

Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for about 3 days to start the fermentation process then refrigerate. They will overflow as they ferment so put somewhere that can get wet. I put mine in my bath.

Can start eating in about a month.