How do you stop carrots from

dawn1, Feb 20, 4:10am
going soft incredibly fast?I've been keeping mine in the fridge and they are soft within 3 days and can't be peeled.Would they do better in the cupboard?

jody23, Feb 20, 4:13am
i keep my carrots in a ziplock bag in the fridge and they last for ages

dawn1, Feb 20, 4:21am
Ok, I might try that.They're driving me crazy because I just need to peel them and I don't get to them fast enough.I can't buy a big packet of them obviously because of the problem, so I've just been getting three or four a week and even then they get soft too fast.

cottagerose, Feb 21, 8:07am
Mine keep for weeks in a tupperware container.

nfh1, Feb 21, 8:08am
in the fridge or out?

prawn_whiskas, Feb 21, 8:08am
Yes keep them ina bag or container.. you can even buy special bags now days but a supermarket bag (even the ones you may pack them in at the time off the rolls) works very well...

"Crisper bins" biggest lie on the planet! Veggie Killers we call em!

In the fridge.

lx4000, Feb 21, 8:09am
I would say in da fridge:)

nfh1, Feb 21, 8:10am
OK - I have been putting them in the fridge but not in a sealed contained/bag and they do go off very quickly - I will put them in a 'secure' environment!!

summersunnz, Feb 21, 10:12am
Leave them in a plastic vege bag, from the vege section at supermarkets, and roll the bag around the carrots and place in the fridge - works well.

nfh1, Feb 21, 8:40pm
Don't you get condensation in the bag/containers though?

pickles7, Feb 21, 9:21pm
We have stopped buying them in large bags now. Not only are they going soft they are turning black. I only buy what I will use for the week. I have carrot and parsnip mash, in the freezer, to fill in any gaps.

veejay13, Feb 21, 9:37pm
I do too - have had the same container for years and years.The carrots keep perfectly for many weeks....I think the secret is that it's air-tight. There's always a build-up of condensation, but I wipe it off the lid each time I get carrots out and haven't had carrots going "off" with the damp.

veejay13, Feb 21, 9:38pm
BTW the container does have a sort of perforated tray "thing" in the bottom, which means the carrots aren't actually sitting in the condensation water.

susieq9, Feb 21, 9:50pm
Keep mine in a plain plastic bag in the vege bin of the fridge. They keep for weeks.

cottagerose, Feb 22, 3:32am
In the fridge

gerry64, Feb 22, 3:37am
I have a fridge that is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but the vegie drawers are absolutely hopeless

kay141, Feb 22, 3:39am
Mine too.