In Love. with Gingernut Icecream

Page 3 / 5
nauru, Jan 18, 5:45am
Wildflower, would you share your recipe pls, Thanks!

katalin2, Jan 18, 7:01am
Back in the 70's/80's I used to make an ice cream that was on the back of evaporated milk tins- chilled the milk, whipped it and added probably icing sugar! and I can't remember what else. I do remember that it whipped to a large amount, and I would add different flavourings- chocolate; orange; lemon and whatever else- when frozen, I used to scoop it in balls and serve up at dinner parties on a platter of different coloured ice cream balls with fresh fruit. Does anyone remember the recipe by any chance!

darlingmole, Jan 19, 3:59am
Uli ~ am still waiting for hubby to do grocery shopping (patience is wearing VERY thin . no flour in my cupboards, no shampoo, in fact basically essentials are thin on the ground!)I will def get back to you though

uli, Jan 19, 4:04am
Whenever you feel like it darlingmole - there is no hurry LOL :)

I have been around here for a long time and apart from some "holidays" I expect to be here for another Long time.

wildflower, Jan 20, 2:13am
I whip 500ml cream and 1t vanilla essence, stir in one tin of Highlander Lite (or original) condensed milk.Then you can add whatever you like but my favourite is broken up Oreos for cookies and cream.

I've tried broken Crunchie's, lemon curd, passionfruit curd, gingernuts and fruit (though as someone else said somewhere if it has a high water content fruit can go very hard).I did see one I've yet to try where they used blackcurrent jam so that may get around that problem.

gildon, Jan 20, 3:49am
Made this up for the first time a couple of days ago.Wonderful!Thank you Uli for sharing this with us.Why buy ice cream from the supermarket when this is so easy,yummy, and you know exactly what is in it.Have already passed the recipe on.

malcovy, Jan 20, 4:08am
I use a recipe very similar to that using condensed milkand I always cook fruit first with some sugar and that works well.

uli, Jan 20, 5:27am
Hehe - do not tell anyone here that you passed it on - as this recipe has been in NZ since pre-Maori times apparently - and it cannot possibly be the one that I brought with me from Germany LOL :)

We have had huge threads here about that years ago already!

In fact I find it amusing when someone tells me they just got this real easy ice cream recipe - and it is this one :)

I hope you enjoy it.

samanya, Jan 20, 7:57am
OMG .where ever didyou get the idea that this recipe for icecream pre-dated Maori settlement!
I'd love a link to a thread where someone one claimed this .so please would you oblige by backing up your statement with proof .I'm most curious!

uli, Jan 20, 8:45am
samanya- I do not need to "proof" anything to you (or to any other person here) - however every time I say that I brought (not bought!) this recipe from Europe to NZ and have spread it around we will have a thread here with lots of accusations that I have "stolen" the recipe.

And that whoever'sgrandmothers had the same recipe, that exactly the same recipe was in whoevers cookbook since 1800 or when-ever - and that I am just trying to be stealing the limelight of whoever .

Because I get sick of this I rarely post this recipe nowadays - sorry to have done it again LOL :)

So to be a bit sarcastic about it all I sometimes say that this recipe has been in NZ since pre-Maori times apparently .

Sorry you missed the tongue-in-cheek part of it. The recipe still is very nice though.

samanya, Jan 20, 9:13am
uli .You claim to have brought this recipe to NZ,25 or so years ago, (I can't recall anyone saying that you had 'stolen' it) & that is clearly not the case as many people were making it here before that & for some reason you can't accept that fact & seem to be insisting that we, here at the bottomof the world were ignorant, before you enlightened us all.
You can't take the credit for introducing this recipe to NZ.
You can say, more accurately,that it's a recipe from your family's repertoire, that you brought with you.

elliehen, Jan 20, 9:14am
I think the incredulity comes about because of uli's stated belief that she was the sole possessor of this very common recipe when she arrived in New Zealand 30 or 40 years ago ;)

maynard9, Jan 20, 7:53pm
And here we go again .-
.Another hijacking
Uli turning a foodie thread into something about her/him - I'm never quite sure which - and probably doesn't matter really.

wildflower, Jan 21, 2:50am
Yep eggs, sugar and cream; sure no one ever thought of that one before lol.

solarboy, Jan 21, 6:40am
Well Uli probably thinks he/she brought the first cow and hen out here as well as the recipe and introduced dairying and poultry farming to New Zealand too !

uli, Jan 21, 8:54am
It is getting pretty idiotic now - so I will refrain from posting more.

solarboy, Jan 21, 12:52pm
Good idea, you're obviously just annoying a lot of people with your idiot claims. Take some time and think about it .

lost-in-oz, Jan 21, 1:01pm
That would be nice.

It would certainly make a change to be able to read a recipe thread without your condescending posts being involved.

Please let us know when you've notified TM of your decision to stop posting.I'm sure we'd all like to bake something, from a packet no less, in celebration of your departure.

maynard9, Jan 21, 10:33pm
Quote of the month - rolling around floor laughing.-

linette1, Jan 22, 11:56pm
Just dug out my Grandmother's Aunty Daisy cookbook.
Aunt Daisy's recipe for Ice Cream out of her "New Cookery" Book 1947.
"1 cup of cream,1/4 cup icing sugar (*easier to combine than sugar*),1/2 tsp vanilla Essence,1 egg white, pinch of salt,milk (if desired).
Beat cream until slightly thickened,then add about 1/3 or 1/2 cup of milk and the icing sugar.
Add vanilla and beat again for a few minutes until it begins to thicken. Then add stiffy beaten egg white and salt.Freeze.The milk may be omitted,it is richer without but more economical with milk.
Serve with fine wafer biscuits"of which there is a recipe.
*( my words).
I would imagine they were still being very frugal at that time and that the precious yoke would have been used in another recipe.

There are 3 other ice cream recipes made:with blancmange,with condensed milk and with jelly crystals

linette1, Jan 23, 12:14am
And there is also Rush Munro's estabished 1926 in Hastings
"Everything natural. Nothing artificial. For delicious ice cream made the old fashioned way."http://www.rushmunro.co.nz/our-story/the-beginning/
They even have an organic range.

wildflower, Jan 23, 3:12am
Hardly, according to the Tip Top container I've here that's what they use, they make Sig Range as well.I'm sure other posters could list other brands with those ingreds too.

carlosjackal, Jan 23, 4:34am
Isn't it DEEEEEE-VINE! YUM! I love it too but probably a good thing that we only have a small freezer!

elliehen, Jan 23, 4:44am
Here's one straight from the 1933 edition of The Ideal Cookery Book, compiled by the Wellington Plunket Society.

ICE CREAM

Ingredients:
One ounce cornflour
Four ounces sugar
One pint milk
Two eggs
Half pint whipped cream
Vanilla, coffee or lemon flavouring

Method:
Mix cornflour with small quantity of milk till smooth, then add the rest and put into a saucepan with the sugar.Boil for three minutes, then add yolks of eggs and cook gently for a moment.Let this cool.Stir in whipped cream and the whites of eggs stiffly beaten.Flavour to taste with vanilla, coffee essence or fruit juice.A teaspoonful of Maraschino can be used if a wine flavouring is desired.

Edited to add:Such European sophistication for 1933 New Zealand - a wine-flavoured ice-cream ;)

wildflower, Jan 23, 5:36am
1933! Yep us Kiwi's were onto it:)