In Love. with Gingernut Icecream

Page 2 / 5
wildflower, Jan 16, 6:08am
That article from 2000 proves nothing; it says it "could" happen.Just read the ingredients label on the packaging!Or if there's no packaging ask!

vintagekitty, Jan 16, 6:14am
lol soggy biscuits. Yes, the gingernut icecream is seriously good. Just ignore the silly comments, they are not worth the time

uli, Jan 16, 7:41am
Luckily I do not have to check any packaging - if I want ice cream I make it from eggs, cream, sugar and vanilla or other flavours like chocolate, cinnamon, fruit etc. My ice cream contains no preservatives, colourings, flavourings, thickeners, modified starches, corn syrup and the plethora of other items shop bought ice cream contains!

And yes - maybe we are lucky that we do not have pork or chicken fat here in NZ ice cream. However the law allows it.

firemansgirl, Jan 16, 7:52am
Almost my favourite icecream EVER! A few extra centimetres are a good tradeoff I think.

firemansgirl, Jan 16, 7:53am
Honestly Uli, you do sound like the icecream Grinch! LOL

vintagekitty, Jan 16, 7:54am
just the icecream!

firemansgirl, Jan 16, 7:54am
LOL ! Naughty! But gave me such a laugh.

maynard9, Jan 16, 8:09am
Gosh Uli - do you really mean to come across so 'self righteous'.

I actually thought you had turned over a new leaf for 2013 with very few negative/condescending comments - but you appear to be slipping again.

uli, Jan 16, 8:11am
Really!
Did I say that somewhere!

incognito66, Jan 16, 10:16pm
I also love the Kapiti gingernut ice cream flavour. I had one from the ice cream parlour recently but it was so expensive. I also used to eat the TT one by the truckload and hoped they may have re-released it for this Christmas just gone. I would love to make one myself like the poster above but am unsure how to soften the store-bought vanilla ice cream first. I've googled it but without luck. I don't want to over-melt it as it may turn icy when I re-freeze it. Does anyone have any ideas! If it works well I would like to try and experiment with other flavours too.

wildflower, Jan 17, 2:30am
My last thought on the matter cos this is just tiring but making it from cream and condensed milk also contains none of the additives you mentioned.So I make it and I enjoy it:)

cookessentials, Jan 17, 2:36am
New leaf.now that would be a first. Now, back to the subject at hand before it was ruined by a resident grinch and stirrer from way back. The ginger biscuit ice cream from Kapati is lovely. The "crumbs" seem more "cakey" and they also put in pieces of crystalised ginger which is nice. We occasionally have one in a cone as a treat. Their affogato and apple crumble is also lovely.

mydebe, Jan 17, 2:45am
So you just crush/break the gingernuts up a bit before adding them to the icecream base!

darlingmole, Jan 17, 2:57am
I love your style Uli~!I find your brutal honesty and straight-up-ness refreshing in such a PC age.Hey would you give the amounts of eggs, cream etc for making say a litre of ice-cream please! I'm sure my littlies would like to help me make some

uli, Jan 17, 3:41am
4 eggs separated,
100g of sugar (I use less),
300mls of cream,
vanilla flavouring.

You need 3 bowls, but can do it in two as well.

First beat egg whites.
Then beat egg yolks with sugar and vanilla until white in biggest bowl you have.
Add egg whites to egg yolks.
Whip cream in egg white bowl and add to the rest.
Fold carefully so to incorporate everything but not lose too much of the "fluff" you have beaten up in the whites and cream.
Makes about a 2 litre ice cream container full.
Freeze for about 20 hours.

uli, Jan 17, 3:43am
Once you know how it works you can do other flavours like roasted ground hazelnuts, cocoa, coffee, cinnamon or any mix of it. You can add fruit pulp too but it might crystallize too much if the water content gets too high.

darlingmole, Jan 17, 4:51am
Thank you SO much Uli ~ husband is going shopping tonight for the ingredients . can't wait to make your recipe, appreciate you sharing it

samanya, Jan 17, 6:20am
Is that the icecream recipe that you introduced to NZ 25 years ago!

uli, Jan 17, 8:43am
That is the recipe that I and my mother and grandmother used to make for I don't know how many decades - and yes I am making it since I came to NZ and wwoofers have been spreading it too and it has come back to me several times LOL :)

I even have found it on the internet lately as a "new easy way to make ice cream" LOL . so the fame goes far and wide now - are you jealous samaya!

Which special recipe have you brought from YOUR homeland that you are ready to give to the world!

uli, Jan 17, 8:44am
Hope the recipe works for you - let us know how it worked out.

samanya, Jan 17, 9:54am
I can't think of one single reason as to why I would be jealous of you & your recipe 'fame', uli, or anything else for that matter.
NZ IS my homeland, FYI. but I guess my forebears brought some recipes with them & learned new ways,like how to cook Pukeko, eel, whitebait etc etc.

sue1955, Jan 18, 12:51am
Gosh, when I read this recipe I thought it was familiar. This is the one I've been making for the last 30yrs since I saw Suzy Aiken make it on one of her shows. I've always called it "Suzy Aiken's Icecream".

wildflower, Jan 18, 3:12am
Just broke them up if I recall; if it's for kids you may want it in smaller pieces but they should soften up anyway.Must do it again soon!Homebrand gingernuts are good for cooking with:)

antoniab, Jan 18, 3:45am
Kohu Road ice cream is just cream, milk, eggs, suagr and whatever flavouring e.g. 70% chocolate.
Although to be fair that probably is the only 'real' ice cream you can buy at a supermarket

cookessentials, Jan 18, 4:10am
Well, there you go!