"Recipes" versus "Health" Topic your opinions....

Page 4 / 5
cookessentials, Apr 25, 6:35am
Yes doug, absolutely and that is what most of us are getting at. Sadly for recipes there are a small few that would not know what respect was.

kirinesha, Apr 25, 6:37am
Cookessentials, I'm not going to discuss the various personalities of the recipes MB, all I am going to discuss is that this is a message board - and it's very difficult to control what is posted and easy to point fingers when as time goes by it no longer ressembles the place it used to be.

A hankering for the good old days is all very nice, but without any power of moderation or intervention from "above" nothing can be changed. I don't see that marginalising anyone or enforcing group rule is the answer, and given time anyone who is picked on will pick right back. I feel that learning to "ignore" is a far more practical and contemporary skill in this cyberworld.

As said before, I personally may not agree with everything that anyone here says, but I defend their right to say it.

This is a public message board and doubtless will undergo many many changes of face and content as the years go by. I beleive we just have to accept that and remember this isn't real life.

Letting people we don't like on here rouse any of us to the stage where we say things that in retrospect we should be ashamed of, and are genuinely out of character, speaks of an unhealthy perspective on life.

In the end, it's a message board. Nothing more, nothing less.

kirinesha, Apr 25, 6:38am
You're a pleb I'm very fond of though Fisher :)

deus701, Apr 25, 6:42am
I like this quote.

This thread shows the ugly side of recipes. Everyone has the right to seek answers to what they want to know. . and not getting other miscellaneous information jammed down their throats or personal opinions/views forced upon them.

The joys from food comes from preparing and eating it. Some people (like myself) live to eat and I rather live a short life eating delicious foods then a long miserable one eating carrot and celery sticks.

fisher, Apr 25, 6:43am
WHAT SHE SAID :} When you analyse what was, and what is. . it's the advent of these HEALTH threads that have radically changed the recipe board. . no ifs, buts, or maybes. .
This section was/is all about RECIPES. . putting ingredients together to make a meal. . and discussions thereof... simple as that. .
Health, Nutrition, Weight loss, gluten intolerance, whole foods, lectures all belong in the recently formed HEALTH AND BEAUTY department. . I'm not for one minute suggesting they have no importance but these topics are for those that these things have relevance to and wish to discuss. .

cookessentials, Apr 25, 6:43am
yes kirinesha, you are quite correct and I respect your opinion, however, I do not respect people who continually ridicule others, especially those that may only have a basic understanding of cooking. This MAY be a message board, but there is still etiquette and rules is there not? or do we all come in gung ho and treat people any old way we like? How does one expect to build a great recipe section if peoople dont bother coming in because of a few people who seem to delight in such behaviour towards others?
It is not about "not liking" someone, it is about the behaviour and if we all turned a "blind eye" to it, then the perpetrator just continues to do it, however if you take a stand, then perhaps they may see some sense?
We all ave a right to say it, we dont have a right to be nasty just for the heck of it.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 25, 6:44am
Thankyou Kirinesha.
There's been way too much cortisol racing around inside some people here lately. Good cooking and good health everyone.

cookessentials, Apr 25, 6:45am
You hit the nail right on the head fisher - LECTURES and that is what we are all sick to the back teeth of - period.

timetable, Apr 25, 6:48am
what the... . . ? this is recipes people - get a grip! ! ! ! i come on here to read what folk have posted re recipes - either they are sharing or asking primarily... . am sooooooooooooooo dissapointed by the un adult behaviour - enough already! ! ! ! lets get back to what this thread is all about! ! ! ! ! !

indigo1, Apr 25, 6:51am
what a stupid and pathetic thread - i can't believe people have put so much effort into replying in it. If you dont like a thread, dont enter or post in it! people take this forum way to serious

toadfish, Apr 25, 6:57am
If you go back to my post #1 it was relatively inoffensive, just asking if people agreed or disagreed with MY "personal" opinion - . Quite clearly some do... and some don't... . .

charlieb2, Apr 25, 6:57am
Lol... . I have to say that that is the most contradictory statement of the thread... .

mbos, Apr 25, 6:58am
Well, here's a thought.

Put in the thread header the word RECIPE - indicating that a lecture, diatribe or discourse as to why a particular food is bad for you or what the one true way you should be following is neither needed nor requested.

Those that wish to pursue the alternative course and subjects - just leave that out, and leave those dreary masses that don't sufficiently appreciate your pearls of wisdom to their pedestrian little lives and less than wholefood pantries.

Seems odd that it would be necessary in a recipes forum, but there you go.

greerg, Apr 25, 7:02am
I have, and treasure, my grandmother's recipe book with all the recipes in her perfect handwriting annotated, "Maude", "Lily", Mrs Brown" etc. , mostly acquired from members of the Christchurch Bridge Club between 1920 and 1950. Like so many women today I have a demanding job and really don't have a "flesh and blood forum" at which special recipes are shared with others. A couple of years ago I discovered TM recipes and I felt that I had found an electronic forum that fulfilled that role in the 21st century. My recipe cards - typed as sadly my hand writing is far from copperplate - include many recipes annotated Brianmac, Toadfish, Fishers, Juliewn and 245Sam. Sadly several of those regular providers of failsafe recipes don't post any more and the atmosphere of this thread has changed because of that. I think it was worth preserving and that the concept of separating nutrition theories from recipes is excellent and might bring back the old favourites. Let's try please.

aphra1, Apr 25, 7:04am
Do you see no irony in the fact that your posted this?

aphra1, Apr 25, 7:05am
Oops I hadn't read far enough to spot your response.

cookessentials, Apr 25, 7:10am
Hi greerg, lets hope so. I still sometimes post under my brianmac username but we are one in the same so feel free to let me know if i can ever help. And pathetic it may be to some of you to see such a thread, but it did need debating.

charlieb2, Apr 25, 7:11am
I'm glad it wasnt just me that thought it aphra! ! !

cap, Apr 25, 7:24am
I don't post too much on here these days and I do miss the way the board used to be. I have seen many posts from Uli and Buzzy where they are lecturing people where a lecture was NOT needed and have typed a response only to delete it. I really don't see the point of giving them my opinion (I just wish they would do the same). So this will be my one and only post where I am going to give my opinion. Buzzy there are many "real" cooks on here who don't feel the need to act all superior and like they know everything. Please don't assume that just because someone asks for a less than healthy recipe that they are going to consume that food every day. We are not stupid and stop treating us like we are. I'm done. I'll get back to reading threads and helping when I can and asking for help when I need it. I appreciate those that offer the appropriate advice. Over and out.

charlieb2, Apr 25, 7:28am
Nice to see you post cap... .

grannypam, Apr 25, 7:32am
long time no see cap. . :-))

mbos, Apr 25, 7:36am
I like grannypam's all too infrequent contributions in all the forums I frequent.

grannypam, Apr 25, 8:03am
I lurk a lot mbos . . lol

st_allie, Apr 25, 8:48am
Last week I complained about the bitching in the recipes forum. I also mentioned the 'cold war' in the recipes forum. This is a forum for recipes. . not opinions. . not drama and bitching online about people you don't like on the boards.

It does exist. . lots of people see it. . not all mention anything about it.

please stick to posting recipes and a bit of help. . when people ask for it.

That can't be difficult surely?

fisher, Apr 25, 9:06am
yes mum... I wont do it again ma... honest... :}