Orange Recipes please?

rozigurl, Jul 11, 8:25am
Any Ideas?? I have Lemons, Grapefruits, Manderins and an Orange tree. I like Orange the most, manily reserve lemons for lemon drinks.

245sam, Jul 11, 8:36am
rozigurl, one of the first uses that comes to mind is the ever so popular Magical Orange Cake recipe which could be used for any of your citrus abundance, or another good use would be curd.Try doing a search here on this Trademe MB for recipes using either citrus or the name of one particular fruit as the Keyword and Last Year as the Date posted option - you should find a really good selection of recipes and ideas, including the recipe for the Magical Orange Cake and various curd recipes.

Hope that helps.:-))

theanimal1, Jul 12, 4:39am
Manderin Cake with orange cointreau saucewhipped cream

gluten free.

Serves: 8

Ingredients:
Cake: 5 small manderins . 250 gm Ground Almonds, 125 gm Castor Sugar 1 teaspoon Baking powder, 6 eggs.
Sauce: 1and1/2 cups pure orange juice, 1 tablespoon sugar , 1 tablespoon cornflour, 1 tablespoon cointreau,
Icing sugar for dusting. Whipped cream.

Method:
Simmer manderins skin on in boiling water until soft, drain and cool.
Pluse in Wizz with ground almonds, castor sugar, Baking powder and
lightly beaten eggs until well combined. Pour into a baking paper lined spring tin and bake at 190deg for approx. 45 minutes. Watch the top doesnt brown to much- cover with baking paper if necessary.
Orange Cointreau Sauce. Heat Pure Orange juice with sugar and add cornflour to thicken. Add cointreau
after sauce is cooked. Serve cake warm in slices, dusted with icing sugar , the cointreau sauce and whipped cream.

pam.delilah, Jul 12, 4:43am
Candied Citrus Slices
•3 cups sugar
• 1 small red grapefruit, thinly sliced into rounds
• 1 navel orange, thinly sliced into rounds

1. Cut a round of parchment paper to fit just inside a medium pot; set aside. Bring sugar and 3 cups water to a simmer in pot, stirring until sugar has dissolved. When liquid is clear and ubbling, reduce heat to medium-low. Add citrus slices, arranging them in a slightly overlapping layer. Cover with the parchment paper round. Place a cake pan on top of parchment to keep slices submerged. Simmer (do not boil) until rinds are almost translucent, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely in syrup. Candied citrus slices can be stored in syrup up to 1 week.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set a wire rack over sheet. Transfer candied citrus to rack. Let stand until dry and slightly firm, about 8 hours.

pam.delilah, Jul 12, 4:44am
Marmalade

Ingredients

MAKES 3 MEDIUM JARS

8 oranges
4 lemons
to each 500g fruit add 1.2litres water for every cup of pulp add 1 cupwhite sugar

Method

Cut fruit finely, then place in a pan with the water. Boil for 30 minutes, then leave for 24 hours. Add the sugar and soak for 1 hour. Boil for 30 minutes, then simmer for about another 15 minutes until it sets when tested on a cold saucer. Place in warmed sterilised jars and cover.

pam.delilah, Jul 12, 4:45am
use oranges instead of mandarins
Preserved mandarins
Bottle mandarins in sugar syrup for a decorative gift when you get sick of eating them fresh!
• Mandarins
• Sugar
• Water
To preserve mandarins, peel, pick off any thick white pith and cut in half. Use barbecue tongs to arrange them inside a hot, clean jar. Then make a thick sugar syrup by boiling equal quantities of sugar and water (1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water should do two large jars). Add a cinnamon stick or star anise if desired. Fill the jars with sugar syrup, add the lids and screw down loosely. Process in a water bath for 30 minutes.
Tip: Save the citrus peel to make marmalade - just bulk it up with a grapefruit - or add to your compost.

theanimal1, Jul 12, 4:45am
Magical Orange Cake

1 whole orange, washed and processed to a pulp
125gr melted butter
1 cup sugar
2 med-lge eggs
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

If you have a food processor, just throw everything in together and mix till all combined. Pour into lined loaf tin and bake at 180C for approx 35-40 mins or ready when tested with skewer.

tasha4

pam.delilah, Jul 12, 4:46am
a good Marmalade
Too Good to Be True Marmalade

6 oranges, seeds removed and cut into thin pieces
1 lemon, cut into thin pieces with seed s removed
14 cups water
5 lbs sugar

Add oranges, lemon, and their juices to the water.
Cover and let stand for 24 hours.
Bring mixture to a boil. Boil mixture down to about 1/2 quantity, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and continue boiling and occasionally stirring for about 1 hour or until the mixture becomes thick.
Pour into sterilized jars

davidt4, Jul 12, 4:46am
Orange, Red Onion and Olive Salad

thin slices of 3 peeled oranges
1 thinly sliced red onion
150g black olives
2 tab extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
(optional) 200g crumbled feta

Mix all together and serve with grilled meat and a green salad.

pam.delilah, Jul 12, 4:48am
a past posting

Orange juice concentrate

2 cups of sugar,
3 cups of boiling water,
2 teaspoons tartaric acid,
2 teaspoons citric acid,
2 teaspoons epsom salts
oranges 6 / 8 or 10- 15

melt the sugar in a large pot with boiling water place the orange peel in the pot when you bring to the boil . then add the orange juice when it cools. strain and bottle. Ikeepin the fridge but you dont have to. to use just pour a small amount into your glass and top up with cold water. beautiful old fashioned cordial

buzzy110, Jul 12, 5:20am
You do realise that unlike most other fruit, oranges and tangeloes can be left on the tree till sometime in December. If you leave them through the summer they sort of dry out inside. However, when there is plenty ofrain in your area, or you water them daily, they can be harvested all year round with no ill effects.

Mandarins and grapefruit pretty much have to be harvested as they ripen.

maximus44, Jul 12, 7:59pm
I made the Whole Orange Cake at the weekend and used mandarins instead of oranges. My neighbours were very impressed with it. I'm sure you could use lemons in it as well.

coreblimey, Jul 13, 10:38pm
I have recently used cookessentials lemon and yoghurt recipe with grapefruit instead as I have about 20 bucketloads of fruit to use!I have also borrowed a friends juicer and having been putting juice in the freezer in 2 cup bags.Will use it to make cordial similar to the recipe above, grapefruit curd for the schools calf club and maybe marmalade, although I have never made that before.I don't like to eat a raw grapefruit but it makes the best, most delicious cordial!