Vegetarian patties recipe with no potato in HELP!

Page 1 / 2
mumstu, Oct 28, 5:21am
My son is on a allergy diet and can have no potato or acid vegetables like tomato.

Has any one got a tasty vege pattie recipe that I can make for him!

I would really appreciate one as finding meals is getting tough!

wildflower, Oct 28, 5:27am
Chickpeas are great in fritters, add some parsley, flour, egg and blend.

geldof, Oct 28, 5:36am
Or a rice base, or white bean base.
I just had this link given to me and will try it this week.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/23071/1/Bacon-and-White-Bean-Croquettes-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

pamellie, Oct 28, 5:44am
Check out this link, there are some great recipes. I like the gourmet corn fritters.
http://www.nzchristianfoundation.org.nz/wawcs0145049/Healthy-Recipes.html

uli, Oct 28, 5:47am
Use quinoa, amaranth, chickpea flours if you think you need carbs - or simply use cooked mashed veges and add eggs to bind.

uli, Oct 28, 5:47am
If you could give us a hint on what this "allergy diet" is about I am sure we can give you heaps of options :)

mumstu, Oct 28, 5:49am
Thank you for all these suggestions. They are all wonderful.

He is on a complete detox type diet to see if what he is eating is causing terrible eczema all around his eyes and on his eyelids. He is 22 and home from uni for the year and finding yummy food for him is becoming a challenge as he eat a lot!

uli, Oct 28, 5:51am
So what is this "complete detox type diet"!

mumstu, Oct 28, 5:52am
He isnt allowed meat, acid vegetables (like tomatoes) or acid fruits. No dairy, wheat, caffeine, food colourings, yeast or sugar.

He is kind of over rice crackers.lol

yjeva, Oct 28, 5:59am
When I was put on an allergy diet I ate just chicken, rice and carrots for a few days as they are apparently among the least likely foods to cause allergies. When I was symptom free I just added more things one at a time to see which caused problems. Not exactly exciting eating for a few weeks but if you want results some things have to be endured.

buzzy110, Oct 28, 5:59am
In our world uli a "complete detox type diet" would be the recommendations in the GAPS diet. But I don't think this is what this particular man has been put on.

mumstu, Oct 28, 6:04am
He has been taken off any foods that tend to be related to causing these skin problems. He is so sore that the skin is splitting and bleeding from the condition.He is miserable.

He has to be on it for about 3 weeks and then introduce one food at a time for a week (each food type) to see if he reacts.

buzzy110, Oct 28, 6:13am
Is he allowed seafood, eggs and natural fat!

How is the diet working for him so far! I would have thought that rice crackers (or maybe rice thins is what you meant)would not be helping him in any way shape or form.

cloudberry, Oct 28, 6:22am
Zucchini fritters are quick easy and tasty. I make them with grated zucs, chopped mint and chives, feta cheese, a little rice flour, seasonings and a beaten egg to bind. Shallow fry in spoonfuls in ghee or coconut oil until golden. Since he can'thave dairy though you would have to leave out the feta and they would be a bit bland. Maybe you could add some chili to spice them up.

frances1266, Oct 28, 6:25am
You could grate vegetables, add some grated onion and bind with chickpea (besan) flour.Add herbs or spices for flavour.There is a nightshade free sauce called Mystical sauce online that is a tomato sub.I made it for someone once and used it on pizza, you couldnt tell it wasnt tomato.It was made from beetroot and pumpkin plus a few other things.You should find it on google I think.If not I will look and see if I wrote it down anywhere.
Millet is a good sub for potatoes, check out macrobiotic recipes, they are free of potato and tomato and are often v ery good.

mumstu, Oct 28, 6:44am
Thanks a lot, these ideas are great!

I forgot to say he can have fish.

uli, Oct 28, 9:04am
I would be too - over rice crackers - LOL

So all you have to do is cook real food:
He can have fish and eggs by the looks, that is your protein source.
He can eat most veges, so cook lots of that and make salads.
He needs some good fats like butter, olive oil or virgin coconut oil, so add that to the veges or salads or fry the fish in that.

If cooking any carbs then stick with pumpkin or kumara or rice. They would be the least offensive of the lot.

Breakfast could be rice and fruit
Lunch salads and fish
Dinner veges, kumara (or pumpkin) and eggs.

Or change it around as you like it.

Good luck!

cloudberry, Oct 28, 12:18pm
If he can have fish then you can make fishcakes using the zucchini fritter idea in post #14. Just drain a small tin of tuna or salmon, break it up with a fork and add to the grated zucchini/egg/herb/ mixture. Shape it into small cakes and shallow fry.

mjhdeal, Oct 28, 4:31pm
Vegan burger patties (Alison Holst recipe). You can grind up a big batch and keep the mixture in your cupboard for when you want a quick meal - just add water and cook!

http://thekindlife.com/recipes/view/1599489/bean-burgers-from-alison-holst

mumstu, Oct 28, 7:21pm
These are all great ideas, thank you sooo much for your help.Just suggested some of them to son and he rather excited to try them (relief for me as he is a typical kiwi male and likes his meat).

antoniab, Oct 28, 10:16pm
My favourites are lentil or mushroom patties - recipes from I think it Alison Holst 'meals without meat' I like them WAY better than meat patties and Im not vegetarian. They have tomato paste but you could leave it out

timeandmotion, Oct 28, 11:09pm
On the skin side, has he tried the Hopes Relief range for eczema! It is really gentle on irritated skin and clears it up beautifully and it can be used around the eyes.

bambi58, Oct 29, 12:54am
Sounds as if your son has the same allergy as me - to the deadly nightshade family. Thiss isn't just potatoes and tomatoes, it's also capsicum, eggplant, tamarillos, chiliies, tobacco and a few other things too which i can't think of right now. Google will tell you all the plants to avoid.
I use mushrooms instead of tomatoes in heaps of dishes, and when everybody has spagetti with the tomatoe sauce, I take a bit of the spag and make my own sauce with a tin of mushrooms, a bit of onion, and a bit of thyme, finished off with a good blob of cream cheese or grated cheese as you would with tomatoe.
I have Kumara instead of potatoe - kumara chips and weges are so yummy! And you can make patties from kumara the same as you would potatoes.
It really is just a matter of thinking outside the square a bit.
I use tins of condensed soup - pumpkin, mushroom, chicken etc to make quick pasta dishes, add a bit of bacon and top with grated cheese, and you've got a good filling meal.
This is a food regime for life, not just a short term solution. I have had a great improvment in my health since I started this.
Good luck :)

bigsneak, Oct 29, 1:30am
This batter is beautifully light because of the soda water,but it's also forgiving. Having only one egg, I chucked in a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk last night and by god, it worked. They were even lighter. On the telly, Langbein said the key to their success was squeezing as much liquid as possible from a large mound of grated zucchini. Squeeze with all your might. Make a face if need be; you want to get it really quite dry. Feeds 4 with other salads and such.

1 cup flour

2 tsp baking powder (make yer own)

1/2 - 1 tsp of salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup cold soda water (open a fresh bottle if you can)

Sift the dry ingredients into a roomy bowl. Whisk the eggs and soda water together, then pour into the dry ingredients and mix well.

To make zucchini fritters:

Grate 4 medium zucchinis into the centre of a clean, dry teatowel. Roll tightly and squeeze as much liquid as you can from them over the sink. Don't wuss out - really go for it. Mix into the above batter, adding lots of chopped mint and half a block or so of roughly crumbled feta.

Fry in a generous slick of peanut/rice bran oil in a hot pan, adjusting the heat as required. Flip when golden, cook the other side and drain on paper towels (or, better still, brown paper bags). Good with lemon and sour cream or plain yoghurt.

bigsneak, Oct 29, 1:30am
This batter is beautifully light because of the soda water,but it's also forgiving. Having only one egg, I chucked in a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk last night and by god, it worked. They were even lighter. On the telly, Langbein said the key to their success was squeezing as much liquid as possible from a large mound of grated zucchini. Squeeze with all your might. Make a face if need be; you want to get it really quite dry. Feeds 4 with other salads and such.

1 cup flour

2 tsp baking powder (make yer own)

1/2 - 1 tsp of salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup cold soda water (open a fresh bottle if you can)

Sift the dry ingredients into a roomy bowl. Whisk the eggs and soda water together, then pour into the dry ingredients and mix well.

To make zucchini fritters:

Grate 4 medium zucchinis into the centre of a clean, dry teatowel. Roll tightly and squeeze as much liquid as you can from them over the sink. Don't wuss out - really go for it. Mix into the above batter, adding lots of chopped mint and half a block or so of roughly crumbled feta.

Fry in a generous slick of peanut/rice bran oil in a hot pan, adjusting the heat as required. Flip when golden, cook the other side and drain on paper towels (or, better still, brown paper bags). Good with lemon and sour cream or plain yoghurt.

Pinch or so of dried chillis in batter is yum to.