Leftover silverside? Any easy ideas please.

aurora5, Jul 3, 12:37am
Cooked one yesterday and I can't say I was happy with it as it's tasteless.Maybe 'cos I did it in the slow cooker.But I have a lousy head cold and was in no mood to watch it on the stove.
Anyway I have a big piece left over.Any good and easy ideas what I can do with it!Taking on board that I have this cold and would much rather have takeaways that I don't have to cook!LOL
But, waste not, want not.Or so my mother told me.

johnmd1, Jul 3, 12:48am
always good on sandwiches, gladwrap and freeze in small portions
and go for takeaway! curry is good for colds, warm you up

geldof, Jul 3, 1:25am
My family like it minced (blitzed in food processor) with an onion and some tomato paste/sauce, then topped with mashed potato and grated cheese. Bake in oven til top browned.
can add frozen veges.

They call it hash pie.

a_n_h, Jul 3, 1:34am
Cornedbeef Hash.

fifie, Jul 3, 1:35am
Make a veg bake lasagna using thin slices of meat smeared with a smidgeon of mustard, instead of lasagne sheets between a layer of pumpkin, potato, kumera, etc last layer meat, pour a cheese sauce over the top sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs on top heat through till bubbly and top golden.Uses up quite a bit of meat.

eastie3, Jul 3, 2:42am
My sister's take on this is to chop up the meat and mix it with leftover cold mashed potatoes.Finely slice cabbage,spring onionssalt and pepper andmix well.Fry it in a mixture of butter and oil until golden brown.With the back of a spoon make four hollows in the top and crack in four small eggs.Place under a preheated grill to finish cooking.(Then,if you are her husband drown the whole dish in tomato sauce)
Note: only use as many eggs as you have people eating the dish.

geldof, Jul 3, 3:25am
That sounds good, eastie3.
Will try that next time.

My family are going off 'normal' cornbeef and I have quite a few pieces in the freezer from buying a beast.

wildflower, Jul 3, 3:48am
Chuck it into baked beans, diced up first.

aurora5, Jul 3, 4:12am
Oh yay, these are great ideas.I'm going to print them out and keep. Love the lasagna one but I don't have all the veges and at the moment it's to much like hard work!Going to do it next time I have corned beef tho'.
Thank you so much everyone. :-)
Now I'll go and cough myself silly.Tell me, why does coughing give you a head ache!! And pain in the back!

245sam, Jul 3, 4:24am
wildflower's suggestion could be added to, to make the following which is a recipe we have enjoyed when camping - it came from the Children's page of one of our local newspapers, many years ago.

OUTDOORS STEW
potatoes (the number required dependent on potato size and the number of people to be served)
1-2 onions
1 or 2 x 440g can(s) baked beans
1 x 340g can corned beef, trimmed of any fat and cut into chunky pieces

Peel the potatoes and cut them into even-sized chunky pieces.Put the potatoes on to cook in water to just cover them, then chop the onion(s) into chunky pieces and add them to the potatoes.Boil until the potatoes are just half cooked, then pour off most of the water.To the almost cooked potatoes and onions add the baked beans and the corned beef.Allow the mixture to bubble gently for 10 minutes, then serve – as is, with tomato sauce and/or grated cheese.

Hope that helps and that you are feeling better soon - best get well wishes to you.:-))

wayne472, Jul 3, 5:31am
Yep and its bloomen good!

Minced (blitzed in food processor) with an onion and some tomato paste/sauce and put in A sandwich is verynice also!

3jtrader, Jul 3, 6:21am
Roasted salad: Cut corned beef into small cubes, roast potatoes in the oven with a bit of olive oil and half-way through cooking add the meat along with carrots, broccoli, onion, capsicum, or whatever vegetables strike your fancy. Sprinkle with a bit of paprika and lemon pepper and keep baking till the veges are as cooked as you like them. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

ange164, Jul 3, 6:31am
Diced into self crusting quiche in place of bacon.

lulu239, Jul 4, 5:33am
POTATO AND CORNED BEEF PIE

1 onion2 cloves garlic1 Tbsp oil2 potatoes cooked and cubed1 cup cooked chopped silverbeet1 can corned beef flaked
3eggs1 cup trim milk
½ cup self raising flourfreshly ground pepper

Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Sauté until soft but not browned in a pan with the oil. Mix together in a bowl the cubed potato, silver beet and corned beef. Beat the eggs, milk and flour together. Stir this through the meat and vegetable mix. Season with pepper. Tip the mixture in a greased oven proof dish lined with paper or foil (for easy removal if wanting to take it out and cut when cold). Bake for 20-25 minutes at 200°C. Serve warm, hot or cold. I suggest you use the low fat corned beef.

Just use your chopped up corned beef.

joybells2, Jul 4, 6:21am
Chop it up and put into fritters with anything else you like.

nauru, Jul 4, 6:52am
I cook up some potato and onion and mix in the chopped corned beef. I use this as a pie filling, using short crust pastry, bake @ 180 for 40 minutes

petal1955, Jul 4, 7:04am
POTATO AND CORNED BEEF WEDGE

750GRMS STARCHY POTATOES

340 GRM TIN HELLEBYS CORNED BEEF (OR COLD DICED CORNED SILVERSIDE) WHICH IS MUCH MUCH NICER

1-2 TSP MINCED GARLIC

1/2 CUP FINELY CHOPPED SPRING ONIONS

2 CUPS TASTY CHEESE GRATED

FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER

4 EGGS

1 TBSP PREPARED HOT MUSTARD

MASH THE HOT POTATOES ROUGHLY WITH THE CORNED BEEF, GARLIC AND

SPRING ONION, 1/2 OF THE CHEESE AND SEASON WELL WITH PEPPER

BEAT TOGETHER THE EGGS AND MUSTARD AND THEN STIR INTO THE

POTATO MIXTURE

PILE INTO A GREASED AND PAPER LINED 23CM LOOSE BOTTOM CAKE TIN

AND SCATTER OVER THE REMAINING CHEESE.

BAKE AT 180 DEG CFOR 45 MINS.

COOL IN THE TIN BEFORE UNMOULDING AMD SERVE AT ROOM TEMPWITH TOMATO CHUTNEY AND VEGS.

auburn4, Jul 4, 11:30am
Corned Beef au Gratin - a family favourite
http://www.food.com/recipe/corned-beef-au-gratin-248953

cairns6, Jul 5, 6:48am
I cooked corn beef in my slow cooker for the first time about a month ago and it was lovely, better than on the top of the stove.I put into the slow cooker and added 6 cloves, a big spoonful of syrup and about 2 cm of water and cooked it on slow.About half way through the cooking I turned the meat over and continued cooking.It was beautiful and I'll do it again.