leftover beef

buzzy-b1, Feb 15, 12:10am
Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with it for a main meal please

cappucino1, Feb 15, 12:19am
Mince it up in food processor with some gravy and make it into cottage pie? ?

buzzy-b1, Feb 15, 12:48am
thanks I might do that

susieq9, Feb 15, 12:54am
You could also make a curry out of it.

fisher, Feb 15, 1:17am
Thai Beef Salad
Ingredients:
leftover beef. . 185g mixed lettuce leaves. . 185g cherry tomatoes / halved . . 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped. .
2 red onions, sliced. . 3 tbsp fresh mint leaves. .
Method:
Put a frying pan on high heat with a little oil. Add stripped beef and cook for 1 to 2 mins. Set aside to cool. .
Arrange lettuce leaves, tomato halves, cucumbers, onions and mint attractively on a platter. Make your dressing.
Arrange beef over lettuce. Drizzle with dressing.
Variations:
Can use Lime and Coriander dressing or Lemon and Chilli dressing
To increase heat of salad, add minced of freshly sliced red chillies to taste and you can add a little ripped basil to the salad... .

245sam, Feb 15, 1:43am
SWEET AND SOUR MEAT IN BATTER.
Make a smooth batter with
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
approximately ¾ cup milk
Leave the batter to stand whilst preparing the
Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, grated)
1 green capsicum, chopped
2 tbsp each of sugar and tomato sauce
1 tbsp each of soy sauce and vinegar
½ tsp chopped root ginger,
1 small can pineapple (drained and the juice reserved)
cornflour

Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot and capsicum. Cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except the reserved juice and cornflour. Bring to the boil, then thicken the sauce with cornflour blended with the reserved juice.

Cut leftover meat into 6mm (¼") thick slices and dip the slices in the batter, then fry them in hot oil. Pour the sauce over the meat to serve.

This recipe and three more using leftover meat can be found at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=12&t=277

vinee, Feb 15, 3:12am
I do da curry thing.
chopped cooked meat
tin of tomatoes
lentils
lots of herbs and spices
a mashed banana - weird but adds a nice flavour. or apple, dried apricots etc
maybe some vege if there's some lying about. .
Yummier than the roast!

cookessentials, Feb 15, 3:29am
I do this with any left over roast meat. Slice thinly and layer into a casserole dish with thinly sliced onion and potato and or kumara-do alternate layers, add a can of chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of mixed dried herbs. Make a gravy ( and yes, I use Bisto! ) and pour over the top. Pop lid on and bake at 170C until potato is tender.

uli, Feb 15, 5:40am
Eat as roast beef LOL - why mash it up?

Slice the cold meat. Then warm up the gravy and put meat slices in for 1 or 2 minutes to warm up. Don't boil, just warm quickly. Tastes just like the day you cooked it.

dbab, Feb 15, 10:51pm
Croquettes-- good for any left over roast - beef, lamb, chicken. Your kids will love them! !
1 packet mushroom soup; 3/4 cup cold water; 1 onion; 1Tblsp butter; 2 cups minced cooked meat(I do mine in the food processor); 1 cup cold mashed potato;1/4 cup flour; salt and pepper; 1 egg; 1Tblsp water;fine dry breadcrumbs; oil for frying

Mix the mushroom soup to a smooth paste with first measure of water. Heat gently until the soup has thickened and is smooth. Cool. Peel and finely chop the onion and lightly fry in the butter. In a bowl combine soup, onion, minced meat and mashed potato. Divide into portions and shape into rolls.
Season the flour with salt and pepper. Lightly beat the egg with 2nd measure of water. Dip each roll into flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs. Chill for about 30 minutes. Heat oil in frypan and fry rolls for about 10 minutes, turning to brown all over.

Make sure your mix is cold before you shape it into rolls, as it will be easier to work with.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 12:01am
maybe they dont want roast two nights in a row

unknowndisorder, Feb 15, 8:59am
After eating roast last night, trying out the croquette recipe.
I need to buy a timer as I didn't really note when the meat went in, and it was pretty dry, so thought I'd try to revive it into something else. Looking at how much is there, there's enough for a few nights' worth of croquettes, so will freeze some as well.