The food truck TV1 now

Page 1 / 3
tigerlilly16, Apr 29, 7:25am
I cant believe he just made crisps in the microwave! I would not have thought it possible. Did any one else see it he just used thinly sliced potato, salt and pepper between two sheets of baking paper, is that right! cooked for 7 minutes on high I think they said.

jaymcee, Apr 29, 7:30am
My hubby just explained it all to me as I missed it!But he wasn't sure how long he cooked them for so thanks for that!Will have to try it!

bridget107, Apr 29, 7:32am
Love that show. That guy is also very entertaining!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 29, 7:33am
I've made kale chips and they're fantastic. There were some good ideas in that show tonight.

elliehen, Apr 29, 8:23am

elliehen, Apr 29, 8:24am
Crispy Kale Leaves and dips
The Food Truck on TV ONE

Crispy Kale Leaves

1 bunch kale, leaves only torn into bite-size pieces
olive oil for sprinkling
salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Sprinkle kale leaves with olive oil and salt, and toss.
3. Place on a silicone baking sheet on an oven tray.
4. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven until crisp.

Hummus
Makes about 2 cups

Roasted lemon
1 lemon, halved
4 tablespoons water
1/2 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Hummus
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 roasted lemon, chopped
1/2 cup dry-roasted walnuts
2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
4 tablespoons water, approximately
3 tablespoons olive oil

For the roasted lemon
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Heat an ovenproof frying pan to medium and add water, sugar and lemon halves. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Place in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until lemon is soft. Remove and season with salt and pepper.

For the hummus
1. Place chickpeas and roasted lemon in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Crush walnuts and seeds and add to food processor.
3. Then, with the motor running, gradually add enough water until the mixture becomes a thick purée. Add olive oil and process until blended.

Cauliflower dip
Makes 2 cups

1 small head cauliflower
olive oil spray
2 soft-boiled eggs, peeled
1/2 cup vegetable stock
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon smoked oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Cook cauliflower in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water until tender. Drain.
3. Spray cauliflower with olive oil and place in baking dish.
4. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until starting to colour. Remove from oven and cool.
5. Place cauliflower in a blender or food processor. Add peeled eggs and stock, and process for 10 seconds. Scrape down sides of blender and, while motor is running, gradually add oils. Season with salt and pepper.

Lentil dip
Makes about 1 litre

3 cups cooked le Puy lentils
3 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped
8 cloves garlic, roasted and crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
pinch salt and white pepper

1. Mix lentils, tomatoes, parsley and garlic together in a bowl. Add olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
2. Place half the mixture in a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Fold processed mixture back into remaining lentils.

mattdylan, Apr 29, 10:55pm
Where to buy KALE!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 29, 11:08pm
I got some at La Cigale market in Parnell, but Huckleberry Farms shops probably have it. It's apparently a bit soon for my local fruit/veg shop to have it.
I've got 3 young plants and I go and talk to them to encourage them. ;-)
Easy to grow from seed or nurseries like Kings will have punnets of plants.

mybooks, Apr 30, 10:39am
Love that market :-)

cloudberry, Apr 30, 8:29pm
Hastings Farmers Market had huge bunches of lovely fresh cavolo nero for $3 on Sunday. Makes good chips and it's easier to handle than the frizzy variety.

timturtle, Apr 30, 11:39pm
anyone know where you can buy this in christchurch! TIA

whitehead., Apr 30, 11:52pm
you can dry vegys in your micow wave and make chips works better if you can stand them up and you cant make many at a time but they taste really good . you used to be able to buy a ring to put your potatoe in and cook it they are brown and you might get them in op shops look like small round cd racks

drsr, May 1, 12:33am

lythande1, May 1, 4:34am
Why! Microwaves do dry things out.

bookshelves, May 1, 5:23am
I made these chips yesterday - they were great -totally fat free crisps that tasted delicious!I thinly sliced a potato, laid on baking paper . microwaved for about 6 mins, checked they were still a bit squishy, so another minute or two .
The timing will depend on how many you are cooking.

I also do peanuts in the microwave, we snack on them at least once a week . just put raw peanuts on a plate . microwave for about 3-4 mins, check to see if they have turned brownish, if not, mix up and microwave a bit more.Add a dash of olive oil and salt . mmm, hot roasted peanuts.There is a fine line between undercooked, cooked and burnt, so you may have to experiment a bit.

tigerlilly16, May 1, 5:49am
Yes. I didn't mean I don't believe it I meant I would not have made the mental association between a microwave and a crispy potato chip - I very rarely use my microwave to cook anything and when I do it's just to 'steam' vegetables. Other than that I use it to defrost things or reheat things, so maybe I need to be more imaginative and experimental with my microwave :)

bedazzledjewels, May 3, 3:53am
Has anyone tried making kumara crisps in the same way Michael made the potato chips!

juliewn, May 3, 4:09am
Hi Lisa :-). hope all is well for you there. Julie

mattdylan, May 3, 4:52am
I don't have a microwave, could you do the same thing but in the oven!

bedazzledjewels, May 3, 5:28am
Well, I just tried it with mandolinned kumara. It took a lot less time (less starch than potatoes). Just 2 minutes (maybe a fraction over that) to start to change colour and dry out. A great alternative to potato ones for those who are watching their starch intake.

elliehen, May 3, 5:34am
Neither do I but I might give it a go in the oven.I already grill shoestring potato chips instead of frying them.

bookshelves, May 3, 9:52am
Hi Julie!yes, everything is ticking along nicely thanks. We've had a couple of frosts after a very warm April .hope you are good too. :)

doll53, May 3, 3:23pm
That guy is awesome and funny.

horizons_, May 3, 8:38pm
How did he do the other chips!

bedazzledjewels, May 3, 10:12pm
He did them in a dehydrator.