Pavlova

Page 1 / 2
17pippa, Feb 14, 8:15am
Hi can someone tell why my pavlova rise when they are in the oven and by the time they have cool down they are flat lol.it is a pain because they still tastenice Ta.

lindylambchops1, Feb 14, 8:22am
The egg whites expand with the heat but on cooling down they shrink forming that delicious thing called Pavlova!

17pippa, Feb 15, 9:50am
O, ok did not know that thanks.

elsha00, Feb 20, 6:10am
An old hit my nana told me is to not use fresh eggs. Leave them until they're almost at their use by dates (pop them in water and see if they float to make sure they're still okay though) can help to keep them raised, but not fool proof!

jami4, Feb 21, 5:50am
I find using free range eggs makes a flatter pav, better to use the cheap ones!

very_hotpants, Feb 21, 9:43am
Are you leaving it in teh oven to cool or taking it directly out - the cold can shock it into collapsing

buzzy110, Feb 21, 11:14pm
I'm wondering at your description. Pavolva should not be flat at any time. Yes. They do rise quite high during cooking but they should more or less hold most of that height once they are cooled.

Can I ask you if, once you pav has cooled it also has a sweet, moist syrup around it! If it has, you are not beating your whites till they are firm. Once you start adding sugar the whites should stay firm and not begin to get slightly sloppy and lose air.

Edited to add that it is not uncommon for the crusty part to crack and slightly collapse in but mostly my pavlova's always stay intact.

ange164, Apr 13, 4:23am
Thanks buzzy. I was wondering why on my first attempt I got a giant merangue instead of a pav.
Question - I only have a plastic bowl with my kenwood, or an egg beater with a glass jug - which would I be best to use!

addington261, Apr 13, 8:50am
Hope I can slip a quick question in here. With a kenwood, which beater is best to use for pavlova.the K beater or the whisk!

hotstuff111, Apr 13, 8:55am
use a wisk and beat the shit out of whites first add sugar small amounts keep beating i haveleft beater on for 5 to 10 munites and they allways turn out .

ibcreative, Apr 13, 9:01am
Best to use glass or metal bowls for pavlova, rather than plastic.

cookessentials, Apr 13, 9:12am
I do mine in a springforn tin, it works beautifully.

seniorbones, Apr 13, 9:50am
I just throw everything in the beater turn it on hi leave to beat for 15 mins, works everytime.

kinna54, Apr 13, 10:18am
dittobuzzy.Spot on! you should be able to turn the bowl upside down and not a drop of mix moves.*this is prior to adding any sugar whatsoever* and beat in the castor sugar very gradually, 1 TBSP at a time.You can hear as you beat the gritty sugar breaking down. When all sugar is added there should be no grittiness sound,rub a little mix on your finger you can feel the texture.
I would also add that it is the slow cooling that makes them crisp, at the end of the cooking time, turn off the oven and leave to cool in the oven for at least a few hours. I often leave mine overnight.
and yes cookessentials, a springform pan is excellent to help hold the shape.
and yep, definitely the glassor stainless steel bowl for mixing.
angel64 in my mum's catering days she never had a kenwood.always made pavs with a hand held electric beater and a glass bowl.
She was famous for her homemade pavs at her functions.

donna_jo29, Apr 13, 12:33pm
i just make pav rolls, takes 10mins to cook. no vinegar and cornflour.

ange164, Apr 14, 12:09am
thanks kinna, no electric beater here, so I may just have to brave the plastic kenwood bowl. I don't think my muscle power is up to the job - nor my only glass measureing jug (4cup capacity.)

spaniels, Apr 14, 12:53am
I use spring form tin as well. Comes out gr8.

kinna54, Apr 14, 1:06am
ange164: your plastic bowl on your kenwood should be fine, it is the tupperware lighter plastic bowls that tend to cause more probs, as they tend to hold the oilsresidue/flavour of butter etc,into the plastic, which can affect a mix.
Tip: wipe your kenwood bowl over with a dash of white vinegar, then dry with a clean tea towel. It will cut any residue that may be in the plastic, but won't affect the bowl surface.

deus701, Apr 14, 3:00am

cookessentials, Apr 14, 3:10am
Mmm, it looks pretty collapsed to me! I dont use cornflour and I use malt vinegar and caster sugar ( as it dissolves far more quickly.

ange164, Jul 29, 8:50am
Thank you all. Today on my second Attempt ever I achieved Pavlova. I re-read all the helpful hints and did it all as precisely as I could.
I'm not even that fond of it, but I didn't like to concede defeat. Others around here like it, and It's good to have a use for the three egg whites left over after making mayonnaise about once a month.

ange164, Dec 16, 11:22pm
Bumping to retain the thread. It's been useful to me.

sarahb5, Dec 18, 4:33am
Do you line the tin with baking paper!Do you need to spray or grease it!And does it cook properly - I would like to give it a go but I'm a bit worried that the sides will over-cook with the heat transference from the tin.Sorry for all the questions but my pavlova always tastes great but goes flump .

nik12, Dec 18, 11:07am
My Kenwood has a plastic bowl and been beating out pavs the last 13 years.I find when I move, figuring out the oven more of a drama lol.
My Pav's always go 'flump' when I cut them. 'coz that's how I like them, lots of meriange (sp!!) and not much fluff. If I liked fluff I think it's cheaper to buy one from the supermarket!

guest, Jan 11, 8:46am
Such an imprvssiee answer! You've beaten us all with that!