Silverside/ cornbeef

Page 1 / 2
muddyt, Jan 25, 5:24am
what is the difference, are they the same cooking time

rainrain1, Jan 25, 5:27am
corned beef is rolled, tied with string and fatty, siverside is in one piece and has a silver shine, and fat one side.silverside would cook quicker, but not by much

superdave0_13, Jan 25, 5:29am
Yes silverside is a cut of meat that can come frombeef, lamb or pork. Corned beef is a processed cut of meat that is usually (but not always) made from beef silverside. Which do you have!

superdave0_13, Jan 25, 5:29am
Silverside is a cut of meat that can come frombeef, lamb or pork. Corned beef is a processed cut of meat that is usually (but not always) made from beef silverside. Which do you have!

muddyt, Jan 25, 5:32am
we actually have both but my daughter took a piece of silversideand when cooked in crockpot was tough

rainrain1, Jan 25, 5:42am
tough silverside might mean you didn't cook it enough

muddyt, Jan 25, 5:51am
nine hours in the crockpot, she was just telling me i think she over cooked lol

theboss17, Jan 25, 6:52am
though is when you cut it against the grain an the other is pickled

theboss17, Jan 25, 6:56am
no that is wrong the boys have al there mates here so ill do it again when u cut it the wrong way its toughan the other is pickledsorry about b 4

rainrain1, Jan 25, 5:45pm
Corned beef is the meat taken off the ribs, then rolled and tied.Corned silverside is one whole piece taken from the back leg

kay141, Jan 25, 7:14pm
I agree with superdave_13. Silverside is the cut of meat and can be used corned or uncorned. I pot roast it if uncorned and simmer if corned. Corned beef which is rolled and tied with string is brisket, also available, uncorned as rolled beef roast.

So I think we need to know whether OP's silverside was corned or not.

rainrain1, Jan 25, 8:16pm
yes, you are right,I read him wrong.sorry superdave

cgvl, Jan 25, 11:14pm
silverside is corned (pickled) topside is the uncorned version both are the same cuts of meat.
Corned beef is the same cut as a rolled roast of beef, again one is pickled the other not.
Silverside and corned beef are cuts you simmer/boil. Topside and rolled roast are roasting cuts of meat.

superdave0_13, Jan 26, 3:50am
Not quite. Silverside is to topside as sirloin is to scotch. They are next to each other on the animal but they are completely different cuts of meat.
Corned beef is a generic term which can basically mean any cut of beef that has been pickled. Or you can get specific and label the meat by it's cut i.e corned silverside, brisket, tongue etc.

mrgts4, Jan 26, 4:13am
Im with superdave. When we get out homekill back we get corned silverside and corned brisket. The silverside in a whole piece of meat and the brisket is rolled. You need to cut the silverside across the grain for it to be the most tender.

muddyt, Jan 26, 4:49am
thank you all very interesting, will try one of them this weekend

rainrain1, Jan 26, 5:46am
I'm still right though

ansypansy1, Jan 26, 6:29am
Sorry, I have to disagree. It's all corned beef, silverside or brisket. As Dave (I think) said, silverside is off the hind leg, brisket is from down the front of the neck, not off the ribs. It's fatty and nowhere near as nice as silverside.
Yes, the silverside needs to be cut across the grain, and you'll soon know if you're cutting the wrong way, it will disintegrate in long strands.
The rolled meat that comes off the ribs, is rib roast. Further down the body towards the tail, the meat is still rolled, but then it's called sirloin roast. It comes from the same place as sirloin steak. You'd be lucky to see it in a supermarket these days, but butcher's shops would still sell it.

I might be an old girl, but I worked in a butchery when I was young, used to make the sausages, and help behind the counter when it was actually illegal for females to work with raw meat unless they were a partner in the firm. (Stupid rule, but true)

kallista, Jan 26, 10:46am
I've been cooking my corned beef in the crock pot - warm pot for 20 minutes, put meat in, cover with 1.5 litre of warmed dry ginger ale, add 1 tablespoon of liquid honey and 1 tablespoon of ground ginger.Cook on high for five hours.Have used it twice recently when cooking for a crowd and went before ham or chicken.

herself, Jan 26, 7:06pm
Went shopping for Corned Silverside after reading this thread mmmm.Countdown have a really good special running this week - Silverside @ $4.99kg.We just love it hot with mustard sauce for dinner and then cold with salads or on sandwiches.I use my crockpot to cook it. Cover the meat in water, add a splosh of vinegar, 2 Tbsp of golden syrup, half a dozen cloves, 1 or 2 bay leaves, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, a chopped onion and a chopped carrot.I'm going to cook it today, that's the weekend lunches sorted!

rainrain1, Jan 26, 7:26pm
Many butchers have different names for the cuts of meat which can be confusing, and believe me we have had many butchers.We always refer to the rolled fatty bit as corned beef, never as corned brisket, even though that is the correct name,and the leg piece as corned silverside.Dave refers to corned beef and silverside as the same thing.which it isn't to many,that's what I was getting at.
And I should have said above the ribs, neck area, not off the ribs, yes

whitehead., Jan 26, 11:09pm
silver side i treat it like a steak and brown then roast in a hot oven so its pink in the middle yummy with roast spud and great for sammys

superdave0_13, Jan 27, 2:31am
No corned beef is not the same as silverside. Corned silverside is a type of corned beef though.

Now the brisket is not from the neck area. That cut is chuck.
The brisket is from the ribs. From around the front though and encompasses the sternum. It's the chest area. If you look at brisket on the bone you will see that it's sliced along the length of the ribs.

ansypansy1, Jan 27, 3:29am
Sorry, I'm going to argue with you. I said the brisket was from the front of the neck. In my days of being in a butchery we didn't use the expression chuck.I got this off google

Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal. The beef brisket is one of the eight beef primal cuts. The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals. As cattle do not have collar bones, these muscles support about 60% of the body weight of standing/moving cattle. This requires a significant amount of connective tissue, so the resulting meat must be cooked correctly to tenderize the connective tissue.

superdave0_13, Jan 27, 4:16am
We're splitting hairs here but that's o.k!