Silverside/ cornbeef

Page 2 / 2
ansypansy1, Jan 27, 4:30am
yeah, s'ok, we'll shake on it.

rainrain1, Jan 27, 4:31am
Oh gee, I think I will ask the farmer once more what he told me the first time round.maybe i wasn't listening properly.And i do know that silverside is a type of corned beef :-)))

superdave0_13, Jan 27, 4:44am
Silverside is not a type of corned beef! Corned silverside is.silverside and corned silverside are two different things.

rainrain1, Jan 27, 4:49am
yea yea yea.we all know that

superdave0_13, Jan 27, 4:51am
You do now anyway.

rainrain1, Jan 27, 4:52am
yea yea yea

muddyt, Jan 27, 4:58am
yum will have to try this way

muddyt, Jan 27, 5:03am
ok superdave and pansey its a draw, now can anyone tell me a mustard sauce reciepe useo do it years ago but have forgotten, use to be able to buy, macormacks but haven't see it for awhile

rainrain1, Jan 27, 5:07am
Well MM still says the rolled corned beef comes from the rib area

elliehen, Jan 27, 5:10am
From 1976 Edmonds Cookbook:

MUSTARD SAUCE FOR CORNED BEEF

1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon mustard
pepper & salt to taste
1 cup liquor beef is boiled in
1/4 cup vinegar

Beat egg and sugar; add flour, mustard, pepper and salt, then stir in liquid gradually.Cook until mixture thickens.

ansypansy1, Jan 27, 9:40pm
the mustard sauce makes all the difference to corned beef,

re silverside. In the winter when there's not so much sold, the uncorned meat is sold as topside. (It comes from right next to it anyway) It slices beautifully for sammy's.Easily recognised because it has a circular muscle attached to another piece of meat, (a bit hard to describe)
Then in the summertime they often sell topside that has been corned. Tastes just as good.
I don't know when they stopped soaking corned beef in brine, but fifty years ago our corned beef was soaked for a week. Tasted so much better.

When you buy C/beef on special at $4.99 it's not such a great bargain. Cook it, weigh it, and work out how much per kilo you're actually paying. For $4.99 you're paying for a lot of water that has been pumped in through a special needle.
When it's full price, it's horrendously expensive because of the water content

superdave0_13, Jan 28, 12:30am
It must of been a dodgey shop that you worked in. These days it's not cool to incorrectly label foods and quite frankly I would be pissed off If someone tried to offload silverside to me instead of topside.

If you can get any type of boneless beef cut for less that ten bucks a kilo you are getting a good deal. The supermarket will be making a loss on Corned silverside this week.

punkinthefirst, Jan 28, 4:25am
Does this help!

http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/documents/resource-todaysbeefcuts.pdf
Enlarge the pics by pressing ctrl + + til you get the size you want. Silverside is a cut which can be corned, or salted. When it is salted it is then called Corned Silverside. On the beast, silverside is below the topside on the hind quarter.
And yes, rolled corned beef is from the brisket - the meat on the bottom of the ribs.

punkinthefirst, Jan 28, 4:40am
And for those who want to know ALL the ins and outs. go here :-

http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/resources/Reference_Guide.pdf

elliehen, Jan 28, 4:53am
This almosts rivals the Black Forest saga.In the nick of time punkinthefirst steps in before blood is spilled ;)

mrgts4, Jan 28, 8:49pm
Thats a great diagram, thanks punkinthefirst.

punkinthefirst, Jan 29, 12:04am
Don't even go there.LOL!
It always helps if you formerly grew your own meat, and, because you wanted slightly different cuts from the usual, you helped the butcher "break down" the carcases. Learned a lot from that!