New (NZ) low carb recipe website

Page 4 / 9
buzzy110, May 1, 11:05am
I was wondering whether you would like me to put in a thread in LCC listing all the benefits of a low carb diet. It has occurred to me (today) that I think there isn't a full and complete list, anywhere of all the benefits. I listed 21 yesterday, but I have thought of another.

It would be an excellent resource, especially for people who are having to justify their lifestyle choice in the face of unrelenting high carb pressure starting from the American senate and officially recognised health authorities of this world all the way down to gormless TV shows, Women's magazines and sundry populist media.

buzzy110, May 1, 11:08am
Thank you to cooks for posting the sites. I see that Jacko once existed and now doesn't so probably old news and time to move on.

bedazzledjewels, May 1, 7:39pm
Yes please Buzzy. There's a section called You and Your Eating Plan and there are some threads there about specific plans like Atkins and Eades and there's one coming about Primal. So you could start one generally on the benefits of low carb eating. Thanks.

Also if there's anyone out there eating to the Paleo plan - I'd like a thread started to support those people too.

elliehen, May 2, 1:24am
Can't really let more than one post dismissive of my factual information pass, buzzy110, and in spite of uli's request, I am not interested in naming and shaming; however, jacko205 DOES still exist but has reverted to posting under her own name again. It's up to her to acknowledge her covert behaviour if she chooses.

For the benefit of others seeking to have one username for trading and posting, and a second non-trading for 'hide-behind' posts, it is against Trade Me's terms and conditions. That is quite a separate issue from having two accounts, one personal and one business.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Now, moving right along...

kirinesha, May 2, 1:54am
That would be great thanks Buzzy.

brianmac, May 2, 6:49am
Thanks for alerting people to that fact ellihen as I noted in post #62- as you can see I have two different usernames ( and this has never been a secret! ) this is both my husbands and my personal username the other is my business which, I might add is sanctioned by Tradme. I usually post under the cookessentials, but at timmes will post under this one... would never set up a false username to hide behind while abusing others like jacko205 does... . she may be posting here, but sadly has no conscience or **lls

kirinesha, May 3, 8:41pm
I made cauli-rice with chilli and toasted coconut last night - yum! Even made a convert out of my carb eating husband!

cloudberry, May 3, 9:22pm
I made it too, to serve with chicken and it was a triumph. I thought I had stuffed it up good and proper because I didn't read the recipe properly (shame on me, an anally-retentive librarian, too! ) and I didn't remove the coconut from the pan after toasting it, just added the cauli to the pan. It was at that stage that I checked the recipe! I thought it would burn while I cooked the cauli but I kept the heat low and all was well. The end result was delicious.

uli, May 5, 7:26am
Gee - buzzy - what happened :)

kirinesha, May 5, 10:34am
Our member's recipe of the month will be apparent in the morning :)

kirinesha, May 6, 4:33am
Congratulations to Davidt4 for her fabulous Lamb & Spinach Karahi Curry which won members' recipe of the month.

bedazzledjewels, May 6, 5:12am
Can't wait to make it.

Well done Davidt4.

kirinesha, May 7, 8:39pm
Great post on Tom Naughton's fabulous Fat Head blog (from the movie of the same name)

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index. php/2010/05/06/questions-
answers/

bedazzledjewels, May 7, 9:04pm
Especially the mention of this website! Well done Kirinesha and The Stig!

arcadia13, May 8, 12:53am
I will join up soon... been a bit busy with work. I have recently joined the gym so I'm wanting to go no carb to help the cause... I'm off to Goa in September so wanna look good in a bikini...

bedazzledjewels, May 8, 6:42am
The new recipes this week are
- Spinach Bisque
- Easy Laksa

Pop into the Cafe too for even more recipes.

bedazzledjewels, May 14, 1:30am
New recipes -
- Cranachan (dessert)

- Lamb & Spinach Karahi Curry (Pakistani) - winnder of the Recipe of the Month.

- Spinach Bisque

- Easy Laksa

www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz

bedazzledjewels, May 14, 8:13am
We are delighted to announce that we have persuaded Davidt4 to join us as a regular contributor to the main recipe site.

Davidt4 is well known for her fabulous cooking skills, culinary knowledge and wonderful recipes. I hope she won't mind us mentioning that she has also cooked professionally in the past.

Low carb is going to be challenging her even further though, but expect some exciting new dishes!

nfh1, May 14, 8:52am
May I ask a question please - how long did it take you to change to LC Diet. I eat a huge amount of Carbs, Potatoes, Rice. Bread and Pasta and cannot imagine life without them! But I love a challenge and thought I may give it a go! So how would you start? ? ? Gently or cold turkey?

marielize1, May 14, 9:02am
For me it was cold turkey, once I really understood what fructose, prosessed food and refined carbs were doing to my health and what was going to happen as I grow older I just STOPPED. My taste buds changed and now I have no desire to ever go back.

kirinesha, May 14, 9:03am
nfh1, I personally went cold turkey on the bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. BUT you can just phase them out one at a time as you find substitutes you like :)

For example try cauli-rice (as per the LCC site) instead of rice. Then move on to wholegrain mustard, leek and cauli mash instead of mashed potatoes etc... .

You really can do it at your own pace! That makes it a lot less daunting.

nfh1, May 14, 9:04am
thanks - I just feel I could do with a shake up in my eating, got in a rut and wondered if this could be the way to go! Did it take long before you adapted and where you hungry?

nfh1, May 14, 9:06am
thanks I will have a look around and take the plunge.

uli, May 14, 9:31am
I went cold turkey on the first of August last year and would never go back to cakes, pasta and rice. I eat the odd slice of my homemade sourdough wholemeal bread if I feel like it and the odd potato or kumara or pumpkin piece.
I feel so much better and I really don't miss any of the "empty" starches.

nfh1, May 14, 9:40am
thanks uli - I feel in need of a change - tired and lethargic, could be because have just had a holiday but I thought this may be the way to go. It may give me the jolt I need.