Breakfast: easy/healthy/fast

Page 2 / 6
vmax2, Jan 5, 1:47am
Probably about 5 minutes or so.It's made by the time the boys in my family get the bread out of the fridge put it in the toaster, toast it, butter and jam it.

davidt4, Jan 5, 2:13am
Tell us your recipe vmax2 !Hollandaise takes me at least 10 minutes, so I'd love to find a quicker way.

visionspring, Jan 5, 2:35am
if you are dairy intolerant, get a can of coconut cream from the asian supermarket. Make sure it only has COCONUT EXTRACT and WATER as the only ingredients on the can. Leave the can overnight in the fridge. This will cause the solids and the water to separate. Open up next day and take only the solid white stuff out, leaving the liquid behind (The liquid can be put in smoothies or even used to make rice)

Whip up the solids as you would cream. It will keep beautifully in the fridge for about 5 days and you can quickly dollop this over fruit and stuff for brekkie.

My fav quick breakfast is to throw in a cut of meat with some veggies into the slow cooker the night before. Just get up and eat! hehe. Duck egg omlettes too, plain fried in coconut oil and lots of chopped parsely/salt/pepper

These days I have been flame grilling steak on the barbecue for brekkie - a couple of minutes each side, then leave to rest for about 5 mins. While it rests I make tea, prepare fruit etc to go with it.

Although at the end of the day I can't rush my meals too much due to indigestion, so what has helped the most is allowing enough time to sit down and eat a decent meal.

vmax2, Jan 5, 2:49am
Don't know how long it really takes, but my point was it's quick and easy.My recipe comes from Internal Bliss the cookbook for GAPS diet, bought it for myself as a Christmas present.

3 egg yolks
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup butter divided
salt to taste

Mix egg yolks and lemon juice in pot away from stove.
Add half the butter and whisk constantly over lowish heat
When butter melted add remaining butter and continue whisking until completely melted and sauce begins to thicken.
Remove from heat and add salt to taste.

Often read of you and hollandaise sauce davidt4 but didn't know the recipe till Christmas day.First day I made it thought it was so good I had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

otterhound, Jan 5, 3:03am
I find it hard to eat breakfast but know that I need to.Hate milk, so I have a bowl of Kelloggs Forest Berries Special K with a couple of budget brand whole dark plums, using the juice in the can instead of milk.I actually really like it!Failing that, scrambled eggs in the microwave - really quick and easy.=)

cloudberry, Jan 5, 3:14am
Who makes rules about what foods are suitable for what time of day! Lunch or dinners meals are fine for breakfast. One of my favourite breakfasts is a small steak, with or without an egg, or last nights leftovers scrambled with an egg or three.

DT4: quick Hollandaise: drop three egg yolks into a small blender or processor or the goblet of your stick blender with two tablespoons of lemon juice (that “cooks” the yolks) and a dash ofpepper, then whiz it up. Melt around 100 - 125 grams of butter in the microwave, then drizzle/pulse it into the yolks/lemon juice as close to serving as possible.

sarahb5, Jan 5, 4:01am
Special K is low fat (as are most cereals) but has more sugar than Cocoa Pops!Can you try the same thing using Weetbix or other lower sugar cereal!

buzzy110, Jan 5, 4:11am
I too do not think that any particular food should be reserved for any particular meal. I have been making a salad in the morning and putting 3 soft boiled eggs in it along with several rashers of crispy bacon, sliced into small bits. I smother it all in delicious NZ fresh cold pressed olive oil. No lunch or snacks and dinner at 7-8pm. This meal could be easily assembled in the morning if you have already prepared the eggs and bacon. I like to prepare salads fresh everytime because they just taste nicer.

gingercrush, Jan 5, 4:23am
I like Maggi packet Hollandaise sauce. I know very evil but I really like it. I've made it in the past but I'm so messy in the mornings that I find it easier to use a packet.

I have tried keeping some in containers for latter use but I'm not sure what I did cause it was just gross.

uli, Jan 5, 4:24am
Any "cereal" is not low carb - and any carbs turn into sugar in your body in a few minutes after ingesting them - so that is not what poster#1 wanted.

uli, Jan 5, 4:29am
I often wonder about that too - but it seems that many people "think" they cannot "stomach" a "dinner" meal at breakfast time. I can easily.

But personally I cannot eat a full breakfast if I then go to the gym and pool and on those days I resort to drinking lots of tea in the morning - then water in the gym -then a whey protein shale once I am finished. I just take the whey protein in a shaker with me and add water. Simple and efficient.

uli, Jan 5, 4:46am
Have you got a recipe - I always wanted to know how you roast something in water.

cloudberry, Jan 5, 5:03am
Yes, I'm the same- I don't like to exercise on a full tum so if I am going to the pool in the mornings I just have coffee before I go (with a spoonful of coco oil melted in it)water at the pool and then I eat when I get home. (I have to admit I've been slacking on the exercise now that school is out- I get frustrated at the pool when it's full of kids! )

knowsley, Jan 5, 5:39am
What's a "whey protein shale"! Is that when you grate rock into it!

buzzy110, Jan 5, 5:43am
Just for the simple minded who are unable to recognise a typo (k and l are beside each other on the keyboard) the word is 'shake'.

bbq-bro, Jan 5, 6:06am
exactly,the last thing one wants is to have a heavy stomach after breaky and then head off to do physical work,exercise training etc etc.,i could do a brisket boil up or pies for breaky anytime.but it slows the metabolism down immensley.its alright if one gets to sit on their butt for most the day tho.but the results will be telling on their body.

knowsley, Jan 5, 6:08am
Uli's sock puppet to the rescue. Thanks for that - I had concerns about Uli's health - was worried it was some new way of getting roughage into her diet.

lyl_guy, Jan 5, 6:18am
My favourite breakfast is poached eggs on wholegrain toast, with OJ and coffee.Eggs ensure you stay full for much longer than having 'just' carbs.If I'm on an early shift, I only need to get up ten minutes earlier, if that!The eggs can be poaching and bread toasting while you do other things.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 6:21am
"(k and l are beside each other on the keyboard)"gosh, I never thought I would see the day that you and Kay were ever next to each other on the keyboard!

cookessentials, Jan 5, 6:22am
#1, you could always make a two egg omelette and put chopped tomato, mushroomm etc in it. The protein from the eggs will keep you fuller for longer.

uli, Jan 5, 6:30am
I am very lucky - as after 3 years of "coaching" the boss we now have classes all year round - except for 3 weeks during the holidays - so next Monday we all start again - GREAT - as I have already forgotten a whole hours worth of jumping, kicking, wriggling and diving LOL :)

uli, Jan 5, 6:32am
Obviously you are back from your holiday cooks - and as stupid as always .

uli, Jan 5, 6:33am
Now can we please go back to:
"Breakfast: easy/healthy/fast"
which was the title of the thread until you all wanted to make me look like an idiot!

lyl_guy, Jan 5, 6:36am
Wow. that was nasty!

lyl_guy, Jan 5, 6:37am
Who's making you look like an idiot!I answered appropriately. as did the others!