Christmas Day dessert ideas please

Page 3 / 4
carter19, Dec 10, 6:26am
There will be ten of us. This week i am making ice cream - lemon, rapberry & lemon. Xmas eve will make pav. Xmas day will make choc log and fruit salad. Yummy easy choices for two meals

denise2, Dec 10, 8:49am
mums.toys, thanks for the recipe

gardie, Dec 10, 9:41am
Love the gluttony of heaps of desserts on Christmas Day (and for the following couple too lol).Even though I'm not often with lots of family these days, I still do all the puds as its reminds me of Christmas pasts - and I look forward to them each year.

elliehen, Dec 10, 9:55am
I can eat trifle for breakfast ;)

iamkat, Dec 10, 10:50am
We will be having plum pud, trifle, pumpkin pie and lots of fresh fruit and cream - pretty much traditional fare and you have to have left over trifle for breakfast on boxing day - its the law!

angel114, Dec 10, 9:49pm
more desserts the better, i am doing a pav stack with bananas and caramel sauce (to die for) trifle and cheescake, will try find a yum recipe for truffles too. i am feeding 17 odd, maybe more

sarahb5, Dec 11, 12:00am
Boxing Day breakfast I usually have toast with brandy butter!

fec2003, Dec 11, 3:00am
If you're making trifle but hanker after cheesecake, try this:
Instead of a plain custard layer, mix custard with a pot of cheesecake topping. I make the custard without sugar as the cheesecake topping is very sweet. Layer it as normal. It sets well and adds a new dimension to trifle. People always comment on the flavour and with heaps of fresh berries, it 'evens out' the sweetness. That, and a good slug of a fruit schnapps in the sponge layer, makes a wonderful treat! And yes - it's great for breakfast the following day, if there's any left!

gardie, Dec 11, 3:25am
My favourite boxing day breakfast lol(and my sister would say the same I'm sure!)

firemansgirl, Dec 11, 3:29am
YAY - After spending hours (literally) looking for the safe place I put the recipe for the Summer Berry Jelly Vanilla Pannacotta. it was on the fridge door - arrrrgh. Anyway I am going to post it as a couple of people asked for it. I updated my profile pic to show what it looks like done in individual molds. I have made it in a non-stick loaf tin, and that's how I'm going to do it again this Christmas. Especially since I bought a gorgeous rectangular plate to show it off.

cookessentials, Dec 11, 5:30am
Hillarious.made my afternoon. Cant remember half of what it says most of the time, then you can always help out there ellie LOL. Whats that song you were singing! "anything you can do, I can do better.tra la la la la.

thedollshouse, Dec 14, 3:18am
Excuse my ignorance mums.toys but what is hazelnut meal!

elliehen, Dec 14, 3:51am
Hazelnut flour - ground hazelnuts.available fresh from Homebush Hazelnuts at www.hazelnut.co.nz

rkcroft, Dec 14, 8:53am
I'm very excited about dessert this year.I have purchased one of those Heston Blumenthal Whole Candied Orange Christmas Puddings from Nosh.Serving it with brandy custard and cream.We have 2 who won't eatChristmas Pudding so am also making a chocolate cherry pavlova.I only want the Christmas Pudding.Haven't had dessert in sooooo long and I can't wait. Knowing my luck, I will probably be too full to enjoy it.

willyow, Dec 14, 6:19pm
Sounds like everyone is planning to work hard in the kitchen at Christmas! Not here. Keepingit simple here with me in charge ofdesert- buy a pav at the supermarket - marinate some strawberries and kiwifruit slices in Cointreau - whip some cream withafew drops of vanilla extract - easy as andalways a hit. Main course - glazed ham,glazed with brown sugar ( which already has a vanilla bean in it) , mustard and Mirin - to me the bestham glaze of them all. And yes, before you ask,vanilla bean is a savoury spice too.

bluetigerrr, Dec 16, 2:14am
Hi firemansgirl . are you still going to post the recipe! I need to go and buy the ingredients. I'm going to be travelling away and need to get them all before I leave on Monday. Many thanks if you can do this . I've promised a few people that I'll make this really interesting dessert and now I don't want to NOT do it :) It sounds too good to pass up - and yes, I too know that 'I'll just put it in a safe place' trick LOL

griffo4, Dec 16, 2:28am
Maybe this is the one!
Firemansgirl started another thread with this recipe so thought l would copy and paste and hope it is the one if she doesn't get back here before Monday
l am planning to make it as well in a loaf tin
lf you go and find the thread it talks about the gelatine sheets and powder l will bump it up for you to read through

SUMMER BERRY JELLY AND WHITE CHOCOLATE PANNA COTTA
Ingredients
3½ tsp gelatine
1 tsp lemon juice
150g caster sugar
250ml rosé wine (I used Jacobs Creek Sparkling Rosé)
250g mixed raspberries, small strawberries (hulled and quartered), blueberries and plus extra berries to serve.

For the Panna Cotta
500ml thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
75g white chocolate, break into pieces
1½ - 2 tsp gelatine

1. In a pan, bring 300ml water and the lemon juice to the boil. Add the sugar, stir until dissolved, then remove from the heat. Let cool a bit, add the gelatine. Stir until dissolved, then add the wine.
2. Leave the jelly to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, divide the mixed berries among 6 x 200ml dariole moulds (or a non stick loaf tin) and pour over the cool jelly to half-fill the moulds/tin. Chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge or until set.
3. Once the jelly has set, make the pannacotta. Heat the cream in a pan over a medium heat. As it starts to boil, reduce the heat, then stir in the vanilla bean paste and white chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted, then remove from the heat.
4.Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl with 4 tbsp boiling water, stirring to melt. Add to the cream and chocolate mixture and allow to cool a little. Pour the pannacotta mixture into the dariole moulds or loaf tin on top of the set jelly berry layer. Leave to set overnight in the fridge.
5.Turn out (carefully) and serve with more berries.

Eat!

ayglepaygle, Dec 16, 2:29am
I love trifle for boxing day breakfast! Yum yum!

rainrain1, Dec 16, 2:44am
Rain Forest Gateau;-)))
Chocolate Sponge

4 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup custard powder
1 teaspoon cream tartar
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
Pre set oven to 210degC.
Sift the dry ingredients.
Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.
Fold in the dry ingredients with a large metal spoon.
Pour into 22cm tin, bake for 20-25 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before filling.

Filling
1 x 670g jar morello cherries
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tbs cornflour
600ml thickened cream
60ml (1/4 cup) kirsch
2 tbs boiling water
2 tbs caster sugar, extra
200g dark cooking chocolate
Drain the cherries, reserving 160ml (2/3 cup) of the juice. Reserve 10 cherries to decorate.
Place the remaining cherries and the reserved juice in a saucepan with the sugar and cornflour.
Stir over medium-low heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Transfer to a large bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
Use an electric beater to beat cream in a medium bowl until firm peaks form.
Place kirsch, water and extra sugar in a jug and stir until the sugar dissolves.
Cut the cooled sponge cake in half
Melt the chocolate and spread thinly onto a work surface or large tray
Cool until just set and use a spatula or palette knife to create chocolate curls
With the remainder of the chocolate, make a paper piping bake and pipe chocolate filigree shapes onto baking paper.
Allow to set completely before lifting off the paper.

Finishing:
Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and drizzle over half of the kirsch mixture.
Spread with half of the cherry mixture and a thin layer of the cream. Repeat with the remaining cake, kirsch mixture, cherry mixture and cream, finishing with a layer of cake.
Spread some of the remaining cream over the top and side of the cake.
Press the chocolate curls around the sides of the cake.
Place the remaining cream in a piping bag fitted with a 1cm fluted nozzle and pipe rosettes around the edge of the cake.
Arrange the reserved cherries around the cake between the cream rosettes.
Use the chocolate filigree to decorate as well.
Cut the cake into wedges to serve.

punkinthefirst, Dec 16, 3:42am
Here's one that even the Weight Watchers can eat, with a little alteration.
MIXED BERRY COMPOTE
Bring to the boil, 1 1/2 cups water, 3/4 cup sugar or the equivalent in sweetener, the juice and rind of 1 lemon, 2 cinnamon sticks. As it boils, drop in 2 cups blueberries, fresh or thawed frozen. Put the lid on the pot and take it off the heat. Set aside to cool. Remove the cinnamon and the rind, and pour into a large bowl. Add cleaned raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, boysenberries - whatever you can get, and as many as you need. Cover with gladwrap and keep in the fridge.
Delicious with pavlova, a sponge cake, icecream, etc.
BEWARE - it is addictive and it stains like mad!
A weight watcher could eat this with a piece of uncreamed pavlova, feel thoroughly wicked, and actually be exceedingly virtuous!

thedollshouse, Dec 16, 4:01am
Angel 114, the caramel sauce sounds delicious with a pav stack - do you have a recipe!

leanne2004, Dec 16, 4:44am
I was looking forward to the white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake recipe from mums.toys
we usually have fruit salad, cheesecake and/or xmas steamed pudding.we over indulge on xmas day.its only once a year, why not!

mums.toys, Dec 16, 6:12am
awww im sorry im a make it up as you go along sort of cook.have done it before though from memory i used condensed milk, 1 pack of nestle white melts, cream cheese and then fresh rasberries on top with plenty of icing sugar

deflatedpumpkin, Dec 16, 7:13am
depends how big the family.we have a huge family, when we were younger, before all the cousins had their own families, we had several BIG pots of peas, corn, carrot, new spuds, chickens, turkeys, ham, gravys, stuffings, then the puddings.had to lay everything out on trestle tables sometimes lol. couple of puddings and a turkey wouldn't feed our lot. lot of farmers wives=lot of good food and puddings!

bluetigerrr, Dec 18, 12:07pm
Ohhh . griffo4, you're such a sweetie - and you bumped the original post as well :) That's just so sweet - I really appreciate this very much. Happy Christmas to you xxx