Christmas day menu! Does this sound ok!

Page 1 / 2
suzanna, Nov 27, 5:14am
Found this thread when I was looking for a recipe and thought it was worth bumping.

pickles7, Nov 27, 5:38am
why ! .tipsy_bl0nde . has been dealt a bad hand.

suzanna, Nov 27, 6:46am
Pickles I don't know anything about tipsy_blonde- I liked some of the salad recipes and as others on here have been asking about salads thought I'd bump it as it is such an old one.

village.green, Nov 27, 6:54am
I can't see any of her posts, tipsy_blonde, are you tipsy or something! or have you been banned!

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 3, 8:50pm
Hi guys i think ive done my christmas lunch menu. Im going to be feeding around 15 -20 people.

Baked Ham with Mustard sauce ,Lamb Leg

Rice Salad, Pasta Salad, Green Salad, Corn on the cob, Herb buttered potatoes, Devilled Eggs, Freash bread rolls.

Desserts will be Trifle, Christmas Pudding, Fresh fruit salad, Custard and icecream.

There will be the odd plate of nibbles out also but can anyone tell me what will be good to accompany what i have so far!

What sauce will be nice with the lamb leg!

Any suggestions would be wonderful TIA

darkraven1, Dec 3, 8:55pm
Definitely Mint sauce/jelly with the leg of lamb.and can I come too please!Sounds very yummy.

holly-rocks, Dec 3, 8:59pm
Mint sauce/ jelly and gravy made from the pan juices Num NUM NUM

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 3, 9:05pm
Ok so mint sauce it is :) I feel like i would like more sides to go with the meat rather than have quantity over quality so if anyone can recommend something that i havent got already id be very grateful

mistywood, Dec 3, 9:20pm
I like green peas (either just picked & podded cooked or if thats not pos baby minted peas)a must with lamb IMO.& beetroot.

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 3, 9:30pm
could do a bowl of peas :) Also would like things if possible that can be prepared the day before.

245sam, Dec 3, 10:48pm
tipsy_blonde, I have a couple of suggestions for things that could be made well ahead of timei.e. Pickled Pineapple (beautiful with ham or pickled pork) and Bean Salad - I have made this anything up to 1-2 weeks ahead and kept it refrigerated.It works well but I also make sure that I have a leak proof lid on the container(s) - either an icecream container or jars - and every day or two I tip the container upside down to stir/toss the salad around and make sure that all the ingredients are kept, as much as poss, coated with the dressing.

Hope that helps.:-))

uli, Dec 3, 11:07pm
Not knowing what age group you are catering for it is a bit difficult to respond. I guess older people have set ideas what "must" be on the table at Christmas.

Here is what I would do: I would skip the rice salad, buttered potatoes and pasta salad and make a huge baking tray full (or two) of potatoes, kumara and pumpkin instead. They go well with the ham or the lamb. I have done them in "2 parts" before and it worked out well in my gas oven. You might want to try it out in your oven sometime in the next week or so, so you know it works for yours too. You don't want to mess up on the day. I peeled and cut the veges then mixed them with olive oil and lots of mixed herbs (thyme, rosemary and oregano) and some pepper and salt, packed them very densely into a roasting dish (they will shrink) and baked them until they were just getting soft, but not yet coloured. Then I let them cool down in the dish and by next day turned them all over and put them back into the preheated oven on high (must be preheated, otherwise they dry out). They only take about 10 minutes and are very lovely.

Then I would do a green mixed salad with lots of different greens and a cucumber/tomato salad with red onion.

The devilled eggs are for vegetarians! They would love 2 different fresh salads to accompany their meal.

As to the sauce for lamb - I am not a fan of mint sauce as I always think it covers the lovely taste of the lamb and everything I can taste is mint. So I would use the pan scrapings from the roasting dish and make a lovely gravy out of it - you could add some mushrooms and fresh herbs if you like.

theanimal1, Dec 3, 11:10pm
Feisty Beetroot Slaw

This super-simple low-fat salad is best made just prior to serving.

1 Beetroot

3 Carrots

1 Courgette (optional)

1 Apple

Juice of œ lemon

Feta cheese (to taste)

Grate the beetroot, carrots, courgette and apple into a bowl. Squeeze over the lemon juice and stir. Sprinkle with feta cheese. (Optional extras: pumpkin/ sunflower seeds, rocket or mesclun salad

theanimal1, Dec 3, 11:10pm
Lebanese Green Beans

1kg bag sliced green beans, thawed, œ kg fresh tomatoes or 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, 2 small onions, 5 cloves garlic, sliced, 1 t salt, œ t coriander powder, 50ml olive oil - or enough to cover

the bottom of your large soup pot

Chop garlic and onions. Fry them in the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add tomatoes and heat until bubbling. Add the green beans, salt, coriander and chilli. Cover and heat until it starts boiling and then turn down to low for another 30-40 mins, stirring every 5 mins until green beans are very tender. Can be served with bread or rice as a really cheap and filling main or as a side vegetable dish. Lovely hot or cold as a salad.

fantalantique

theanimal1, Dec 3, 11:11pm
fresh green bean salad

Dressing:

1/2 cup salad oil

1/2 cup wine,cider, or balsamic vinegar

1 clove garlic-minced or pressed

1/2 tsp. mustard powder

1 tsp. celery seed

1-2 tbsp.brown sugar

1 tsp salt

ingedients:

1 kg green beans ( can use half green half butter)

4 rashers of cooked crispy bacon, chopped

(mushrooms if you like them)

1 zucchini

spring onion, as much as you want

pine nuts or toasted seame seeds

Cherry tomatoes (optional)

Trim ends from beans and rinse in a colander. Put beans in a pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes. While beans are cooking fill a pot or bowl withwater and ice cubes.

Drain boiling water from beans and immediately immerse them in the ice water bath. This stops them from cooking and keeps them crisp, vibrant and green.

When beans are cool, put them in a colander to drain water, then cut them in half on a cutting board. Add them to a large salad bowl.

Cut zucchini lengthwise, discarding the middle seed section. Cut lengths into 1/4 inch strips and chop strips into 2-3 inch lengths. Add to bowl.

Chop the mushroom into aprox. 1 inch squares and add to salad. Add onions and pine nuts or toasted seame seeds

Mix dressing from the ingredients listed, adjust salt and/or sugar to taste and add to salad. mix well and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Toss salad a couple of times while cooling and just before serving. This salad should be eaten fairly soon after the 2-3 hour cooling as the mushroom and zucchini will get soggy after a while.

theanimal1, Dec 3, 11:14pm
New Potato Asparagus and Lemon Salad

This perfect combination of flavours makes a tasty weekend lunch.

500g Baby new potatoes, scrubbed

300g Asparagus spears, peeled and cut into 6cm lengths

4 Lemons, peeled and cut into segments

Small bunch chives, cut into 3cm lengths

Salt& freshly ground black pepper

Dressing

1 Lemon, zest and juice for dressing

60ml Olive oil

2 Chilies, small, seeded and finely sliced (optional)

1 tsp Dijon mustard

Pinch sugar

Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Cover potatoes in salted water and simmer until tender. Drain. Meanwhile simmer the asparagus in another pan of salted water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Make the dressing by whisking together lemon zest and juice, olive oil, chilies, mustard and sugar; add salt and pepper to taste. Place warm potatoes, asparagus and lemon segments into a serving bowl and toss very gently with the dressing to coat. Take care not to break up the lemon or damage asparagus. Scatter the chives on top and serve.

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 3, 11:55pm
I am cooking for people aged from 3years to 70 and the reason i was doing the salads was because i have a very little oven which will be preoccupied with the ham and lamb leg so not much room for roast veges.

theanimal1, Dec 4, 12:28am
A wee tip, roast the vegetables the night before and reheat until piping hot in the microwave.

macwood2, Dec 4, 1:14am
245sam will you post the pineapple and bean salad please. TIA

otterhound, Dec 4, 3:05am
I would far prefer your salads to roast vegies for a Christmas lunch - doesn't "weigh you down" nearly as much, and normally it's quite hot Christmas day so salads are more refreshing.I love you menu.Regarding sauce for the lamb - yep gravy made from the roasting pan if you've time etc, but definitely mint sauce or jelly.For most people, lamb isn't complete without it.If you don't like it,you don't have to put it on your plate.=)

uli, Dec 4, 5:06am
Isn't that funny - for me it is just the opposite - a pasta salad or a rice salad would weigh me down no end, while some roasted vegies would be a treat.

However if oven space is limited and fridge space available then the pasta and rice assemblies can be made the day before and fridged.

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 4, 7:44am
Yeah we have 2 fridges so id rather fill them up hahaha. I just have everything cooked and bagged and then the next day all i have to do is mix in the dressing and its ready to go.

245sam, Dec 4, 9:03am
macwood2, they are actually two separate recipes - as I 'said' to tippsey_bl0nde, I had two suggestions - one suggestion being Pickled Pineapple and the other is Bean Salad so here are the two recipes.

PICKLED PINEAPPLE
½ cup sugar
4-6 whole cloves
¼ tsp each ofcinnamonandground ginger
pinch salt
¼ cup vinegar
1 can pineapple slices or pieces

Drain thejuice/syrup from the pineapple into a saucepan containing the remaining ingredients.
Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes (until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup).Add the pineapple, return to the boil, then remove from the heat.Arrange the fruit attractively in a straight-sided jar.Fill with the syrup.Refrigerate for 24 hours before use.Store in the refrigerator.

BEAN SALAD
Dressing:
½ cup each ofsugar,cider vinegarandsalad oil
1 tsp salt
shake pepper

Place the dressing ingredients into a screw-topped jar in the order given, then screw the top on the jar and shake the jar to mix all the ingredients together and to dissolve the sugar.

Salad:
2 cups each ofcooked green beans&cooked butter beans (aka wax beans - like green beans only yellow)
1-2 cups cooked red kidney beans – drained canned or home-cooked
½ cup (100g) chopped green capsicums
½ cup (70g) sliced onions

Combine all the vegetables, then pour the dressing over them and leave the vegetables to stand in the dressing for at least several hours – this salad will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks but should be frequently tossed around in its container to keep the vegetables all coated with the dressing.Drain, if desired, before serving.:-))

rarogal, Dec 5, 7:27am
What about a beetroot jelly - great with ham and lamb.

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 5, 7:58am
Would you happen to have a recipe rarogal! I dont personally like beetroot but im sure others would :)