Is it okay to feed children heart!

Page 2 / 2
agave1, Dec 3, 8:11pm
Can someone explain to me what is so 'gross' about it!It's just another piece of meat of an animal.I bet you guys happily let your kids eat sausage rolls or mince pies without actually having a clue which parts of the animals are ground up and used.Oh, and I bet you let your kids eat lollies or jelly right!These have gelatine in them - ground up animals hooves.Now that sounds gross.

datoofairy, Dec 3, 8:14pm
I personally find it gross to eat body parts that were used to filter an animals waste, but thats just me, each to their own.
I dontknow how old your kids are, but I'd feel sorry for any kid who admitted at school his mother makes him eat hearts.

holly-rocks, Dec 3, 8:31pm
OP why dont you just serve them heart casserole, if they like it,yay for them, if they dont.problem solved.

kuaka, Dec 3, 10:27pm
I remember my mum used to boil hearts for the dog and it used to stink the house out, so years later when my mother-in-law was trying to convince me how delicious hearts were I had a hard time believing her.She offered to cook some so I could try them.I imagined she would slice them and do them in some yummy sauce, but no, she just cooked them and served them whole on the plate with the veg.I could almost see them beating, and there was no way I could put it to my lips.I gagged.Liver I can handle occasionally if it's cooked nice and tender and soaked well with several changes of water first to remove all the yukky taste, but hearts - no thanks.I'd go hungry first.

gilligee, Dec 3, 10:29pm
I agree. The sugar in sweets will do them far more harm.

elliehen, Dec 3, 10:48pm
Snouts, rectums and carcass slurry.

vistula, Dec 4, 1:10am
Nothing wrong with feeding kids hearts, sheep, beef or venison!Maybe try roasting it slowly, you can stuff the heart as well.Or casserole it like some have suggested.Casseroling the heart will help it be tender.You could add veges, herbs & spices to the dish.Just cos you're vegeatarian and your kids aren't, I say GOOD ON YOU for catering to your kids tastes and not just your own.

agave1, Dec 4, 3:29am
thanks for that!

lythande1, Dec 4, 3:34am
How would you know it's foul if you have never cooked it!
And what is good quality meat! The expensive cuts do not necessarily translate into quality. Dodgy old fillet from the scum butcher versus fresh, correctly stored cheaper cuts from the good butcher for instance.
Snob.

ant_sonja, Dec 4, 6:05am
Of course its ok for your kids :-) try casseroling or slow roasting like other have suggested and see what they think. No harm in trying and better for them than cheap sausages etc.

craig04, Dec 4, 7:48am
Cracking up at some of the comments in this thread! My goodness, what pedestrian tastes some people have.

jag5, Dec 4, 8:59am
So since when has offal not been "quality" meat.the prices go up as the demand does.look at lamb shanks - they becam the "in" food and the prices of them shot through the roof so no-one could afford them.ox tail - became okay to eat.have you seen the price of an ox tail recently.

Heart, kidney, liver or lambs fry, tongue.all good meat.but each to their own.I was bought up to waste not want not.

malcovy, Dec 5, 7:14am
I remember when Tony Astle put tripe back on the menu years ago at Antoines and it was genius on his part as offal came back into focus and became the price shot up.
I cooked hearts years ago, I remember taking off all yuk bits, stuffing them with stuffing and lightly sewing the opening to keep in stuffing.I then browned them and then I put them in a covered casserole and that's all I remember apart from them being delicious.They were sliced and served with gravy and that I remember too.

elliehen, Dec 5, 7:37am

whitehead., Dec 6, 3:20am
if you treat heart like a steak its yummy just take the fat off beat lightly with a rolling pin and rub with soy sauce and cook on a high heat like steak goes great on the barby

iman007, Dec 6, 3:23am
you prolly eat it all the time, was in a butcher shop the other day when they were making mince, ox hearts were thrown in too.I dont think i was supposed to see that!

wizardoo, Dec 6, 7:17pm
Heart has iron in it.You can stuff it with stuffing and bake it ,you can thinly slice it and quick fry it, put it in gravy,People use to put lamb shanks down so they used to be a poormans roast and now look they are so expensive to buy all it takes is for some cleb to cook it and whamo it becomes a good meat!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 6, 8:44pm
A new book by the wonderful Jennifer McLagan, called "Odd Bits" has a section on preparing heart.
It's available from Auckland library and I'm sure other libraries will have it.