Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 10 / 54
trah, Jan 10, 6:15am
Hi davidt4.I tried the recipe making the changes you suggested, and using Edmonds Active Yeast granules instead of the other one (couldn't get DYC).It did rise higher, but I guess it is just meant to be a "dense" loaf.It was OK, but not really what I was looking for.

Would you mind posting your simple recipe as volunteered above?

trah, Jan 10, 6:15am
Hi davidt4.I tried the recipe making the changes you suggested, and using Edmonds Active Yeast granules instead of the other one (couldn't get DYC).It did rise higher, but I guess it is just meant to be a "dense" loaf.It was OK, but not really what I was looking for.

Would you mind posting your simple recipe as volunteered above!

davidt4, Jan 10, 6:59am
Plain HouseholdBread

Ingredients

• 1kg strong bread flour
• 625m tepid water
• 30g fresh yeast or 21g dried yeast
• 1 tablespoons sugar
• 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
semolina for dusting.

Makes 2 loaves.

Mix water, yeast and sugar, leave 10 min to start working.Mix flour, salt, add liquid and mix to a soft dough, add more water if neccessary.Knead by hand or with a dough hook in a food mixer until very elastic - about 10 minutes.Return to bowl, cover and leave to rise at room temperature for 3 - 4 hours or until doubled in bulk OR in the fridge overnight.If refrigerated allow to return to room temperature. Punch down, cut in two and shape each into a loaf by folding edges into centre over and over until it forms a bouncy evenly shaped loaf.Dust with semolina and either place in loaf tins or on an oven tray.Leave to rise about 45 min at room temperature, bake at 200C for about 45 minutes or until dark golden brown.Cool COMPLETELY before cutting.You can use half fine wholemeal flour, or a mixture.

davidt4, Jan 10, 7:01am
The Grant Loaf is not necessarily dense as far as wholemeal bread goes, but does have a very critical rising time - if you let it go too far it will collapse.The reason for this is that the dough hasn't been kneaded and therefore the gluten hasn't been developed to contain the bubbles that the yeast produces.

davidt4, Jan 10, 7:01am
The Grant Loaf is not necessarily dense as far as wholemeal bread goes, but does have a very critical rising time - if you let it go too far it will collapse.The reason for this is that the dough hasn't been kneaded and therefore the gluten hasn't been developed to contain the bubbles that the yeast produces.

trah, Jan 11, 6:23am
Well, your Plain Household Bread is in the fridge to sit overnight, davidt4.I enjoyed the kneading, although my hands and wrists were getting sore after 5 mins, then I recalled that you push the "heel" of your hand into the dough - at least that is how they taught us at school many years ago.Is it supposed to rise in the fridge?I don't understand how that works, as I thought it needed warmth to prove.

trah, Jan 11, 6:23am
Well, your Plain Household Bread is in the fridge to sit overnight, davidt4.I enjoyed the kneading, although my hands and wrists were getting sore after 5 mins, then I recalled that you push the "heel" of your hand into the dough - at least that is how they taught us at school many years ago.Is it supposed to rise in the fridge!I don't understand how that works, as I thought it needed warmth to prove.

davidt4, Jan 11, 7:05am
Once the yeast gets going it will grow at fridge temperature, but a lot more slowly than when warm.The flavour of the dough will develop much more with a long cool or cold rise.

Let us know how your bread turns out?

davidt4, Jan 11, 7:05am
Once the yeast gets going it will grow at fridge temperature, but a lot more slowly than when warm.The flavour of the dough will develop much more with a long cool or cold rise.

Let us know how your bread turns out!

trah, Jan 11, 11:25pm
I'm so excited!I made REAL bread!It's just out of the oven davidt4 and I am having great trouble following your "Let it cool COMPLETELY" instructions!It looks like it should look, and certainly smells like it should (heavenly!) and I am hoping it tastes like I remember those home made breads from childhood tasted!Will let you know.Thanks for your help and advice.

trah, Jan 11, 11:25pm
I'm so excited!I made REAL bread!It's just out of the oven davidt4 and I am having great trouble following your "Let it cool COMPLETELY" instructions!It looks like it should look, and certainly smells like it should (heavenly!) and I am hoping it tastes like I remember those home made breads from childhood tasted!Will let you know.Thanks for your help and advice.

barloo, Jan 12, 4:07am
b b b b bumping along

racheee, Jan 12, 4:14am
Cheese Rolls or loaves Makes 12 rolls or 2 small loaves.230 ml water, 5 tbsp oil, 450 gm flour, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp milk powder, 3 tsp breadmaker yeast (red top surebake).Put on dough cycle in breadmaker.Once out divide into 12 long rolls or two loaves and let sit rise for 30 mins.Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 180 for between 15-20 mins or until golden.Yummo!

juliewn, Jan 12, 4:53am
Hi. sounds delicious. :-) hope you enjoy your delicious goodies.

trah, Jan 12, 5:23am
Success!! It is yum!A lovely texture, and great for sandwiches.Thanks david4t!Wish I could share some with you as thanks for your advice!

trah, Jan 12, 5:23am
Success! It is yum!A lovely texture, and great for sandwiches.Thanks david4t!Wish I could share some with you as thanks for your advice!

davidt4, Jan 12, 5:36am
Oh that's great news trah.Thank you very much for the feedback - a rare and much appreciated thing.

davidt4, Jan 12, 5:36am
Oh that's great news trah.Thank you very much for the feedback - a rare and much appreciated thing.

juliewn, Jan 13, 1:52am
Bumping for Babytears :-)

hunnyb1, Jan 13, 5:05am
sanyo sbm 20 breadmaker has anyone got one of these,and do you have the recipe book.

kaddiew, Jan 14, 7:09pm
Thank you juliewn After years of just flicking the switch on my breadmaker I decided to get back to basics and handmake some bread using your wonderful recipe & instructions at the beginning of this thread. I made the grains & seeds variation in a large round cake tin and it was fantastic.Took it to a potluck meal last night where it received huge praise. Thanks again!

juliewn, Jan 17, 8:57am
Bumping for Johnross :-)

juliewn, Jan 17, 9:38am
Hi Kaddie. it's lovely to read your post. I'm guessing you're feeling very proud of yourself. Go You. :-). It sure is a rewarding process to make our own bread. and just delicious too. Cheers. Julie

johnross, Jan 17, 9:24pm
Soy and linseed bread I've checked everywhere for a recipe that resembles the commercial variety. Does anyone out there make it! Thanks, Rose

juliewn, Jan 18, 8:29am
Bumping for Soda bread. .