Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 11 / 54
juliewn, Jan 18, 12:01pm
Bumping for Timturtle - and the Hot Cross Bun Recipe.

juliewn, Jan 18, 12:05pm
Hi Johnross.you could use my bread recipe on page one of this thread. substiute 1 cup wholemeal flour for 1 cup of the white flour and replace another cup of white flour with a cup of soy meal - or you could use a mix of finely ground soy flour and some soy meal. Add a handful or so of linseeds to the recipe (no need to take out flour to replace linseeds with) and make as per the recipe. I hope this helps. Cheers. Julie

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:57am
Hi.. there are often requests here for bread recipes; for new and different recipes to make in a bread machine, and for handmade old favourites, Naan bread and Pita Bread and Panini, Filled Breads, Pizza dough, Hot Cross Buns, etc..etc.. Would you like to add your specialties to this thread? :-) I hope you like these recipes for some of my favourites...The first posts are for the only bread dough I make now, after trying many others - it's easy to make and I use this successfully for many recipes,

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:57am
From this recipe, I make a range of breads - from loaves baked in loaf pans, Vienna type loaves, rolls of many shapes and sizes - from baked in any size muffin pans to long plaited rolls, small or large buns of any shape, hamburger buns, etc..I also use it for bases for Pizza; for Pita, for Panini's, for Naan, for loaves or rolls to fill and bake, or cook in an electric grill. Make the loaves flat, and brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and sliced olives or herbs for Foccacia.. Add olives, grated cheese, seeds, sundried tomatoes, sliced caramelised onions,etc., to the dough.. or decorate the top of loaves or rolls with these before baking.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:58am
Add a little sugar and some spices and currants or other dried fruit to make fruit buns.. and add crosses for Hot Cross Buns.. You can ice them for Iced Buns, or make a larger style loaf and ice it and top with sprinkled coconut for a Sally Lunn. Roll it out and spread with a mix of melted butter with brown sugar, cinnamon and sultanas and roll it up, slice it to make spirals, and bake it to make Caramel Buns.. Ice that for Chelsea Buns.. the options are endless.. Hope you give them a try.. I'm looking forward to seeing lot's of favourite recipes added.. Cheers.. Julie.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:59am
Turn the dough so the smooth side is uppermost, and place it back in the bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel, and stand in a warmish place for about 15 minutes. You can use a hot water cupboard, the top of a stove where the oven is going, or a bed or cabinet etc that has sun shining on it. Keep pets away!!! During that standing time, the dough will rise. Use your hand to push it down, then knead lightly, and place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll or press out into a flattish oval or square. I make this about 2-3cm thick.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:00am
Variations: Replace 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour with wholemeal, rye, mixed grain flour, etc..or with cornmeal, rye meal, etc.. Make as above.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:00am
Leave covered until doubled in size. This is the part that will mainly determine the lightness of the finished rolls.. don't try to rush the rising of them. It will take around an hour to an hour and a half. When almost risen, preheat your oven to 230°C. Bake the rolls until they sound hollow when tapped and they're golden brown. Remove from the oven. If you want crustier rolls - cool uncovered, if you want a softer roll, cool covered. For a chewier roll, brush the tops lightly with warm water and cover with a teatowel. Then try and stay away from them as they're delicious!

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:01am
Loaves: You can use this same recipe and bake them as loaves in loaf tins - or as loaves set out on baking paper lined or greased trays. Or make as large flat breads on a tray, with or without being brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with coarse salt, herbs, sliced olives, seeds, sundried tomatoes, etc..etc.. Rise and and bake at 230°C till golden and they sound hollow when tapped.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:02am
Pizza: Use some dough to roll out for pizza bases - no need to rise for these.. roll out to the size you want and top with your your favourite toppings. Bake straight away at 230°C .. individual pizza's are great, where everyone places their own toppings on..

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:02am
Naan Bread: My favourite way is to use a wok or frying pan on a hot element - I use one of the little gas "suitcase" stoves and make them outside while my Partner is bbqing other goodies. I place a very small amount of oil on a paper towel.. rub it quickly over the surface of the hot pan.

Add a circle of dough and place the lid on. After about 30-40 seconds, turn the bread, and continue cooking a very short time till it feels just firm. Onto a rack, cover with a tea-towel.. and try to stop eating them!!! They're delicious..

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:03am
Cheese Naan, Garlic Naan, or Herb Naan - or a mixture of any of these.. add grated cheese, or crushed or finely sliced garlic or crushed fresh or dried herbs to the batter before adding the extra flour and kneading. Continue as above.. The recipe can be easily halved too.. make some rolls or loaves with the rest of the dough.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:04am
Panini: Use the same recipe I've posted above - after kneading and standing the dough for 15 minutes, I shape some dough (about 1 1/2 cups full) into an oval, roll it flat, and place on a baking paper lined baking tray. Once the tray is full - a usual size tray will take about 4 - cover the tray with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place till doubled in size. Bake at 230°C till the bread is golden brown and it sounds hollow when tapped.. and try to stop enjoying them... :-}

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:04am
Heat an electric grill, or your oven to 230°C. On one half of the rolled out dough, place your choice of a mix of grated cheese, sliced tomato, any cooked meat or chicken, finely sliced onion, baked beans, canned spaghetti, cream style sweetcorn. bacon, ham, pineapple, gherkins, left over savoury mince or spaghetti bolognese mince sauce, etc..

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:05am
Brush water around the edges of the rolled out dough, and fold the other half over the filling. Use a fork to press the edges together very well. No need for leaving to rise.. Place on a baking paper lined tray in your oven, or in your electric grill set on a level so it doesn't squash the fillings out. Bake or grill till golden brown and the dough is cooked.. This tastes wonderful, and each person can add fillings of their own choice.. we sometimes make these as a fun dinner, and serve it with a salad or raw veges. Yum!

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:06am
Alternatives:For Hot Cross Buns: I like to use left over almond icing from Christmas cakes - freeze till Easter.. When making Hot Cross Buns, thaw at room temp. Slice into thin sticks about 4-5cm long. When the buns are only just beginning to brown, remove the tray from the oven. Quickly place two sticks of almond icing on top of each bun to form a cross, and place the tray back in the oven to finish cooking the buns. The icing was caramelise and give a lovely sweet topping.. delicious..

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:07am
Caramel Buns / Chelsea Buns: Melt 50gms butter with 2 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp mixed spice. Add 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup currants, sultanas or your choice of dried fruit. Roll 1/2 the dough out in a rectangle shape till about 1 cm thick. Spread with the mix. Wet the far edge of the rectangle and roll the dough up from the side nearest you. Seal the edges together. Cut into scrolls, place on a baking paper lined or greased tray and rise till doubled. Bake as above - ice if liked.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:08am
Last one! ps.. Please ask if I can help with any of the above.. Happy Baking.. Cheers.. Julie

juliewn, Jan 19, 10:56am
bumping ..

taurushat, Jan 19, 11:08am
Naan bread 3 cups plain flour,3/4 cup milk, Salt to taste,1 sachet (7g) dry yeast,3 tbsp butter,1/2 cup water. 4 tbsp oil. Take a mixing bowl put all the ingredients except the oil and mix well till it forms a smooth dough. Cover the mixing bowl with a wet cloth and leave it for 1 hour till the dough raises, now add the oil and knead well till all the oil is absorbed. Take some flour for rolling so that the dough won't stick to the surface. make 13 round portions with the dough and roll them with a rolling pin or you can pat them between both your hands. Keep warm. Now take heavy bottomed pan and fry the naans on one side, lift them and place them under the grill the un-fried side facing the heat (do not fry both sides on the pan). Grill the Naan till it is cooked and charred a bit and take it out and spread little butter over it. Repeat the procedure for all the naan.

lil_nightmare, Jan 19, 11:26am
thank you juliewn for this thread I'll have to copy and paste it. Cheers taurushat for the naan bread as well :o)

bunny51, Jan 19, 11:19pm
bump for fclgirls (HOpe I got your user name right)

juliewn, Jan 20, 2:18am
You're mostwelcome.. Thanks Taurushat.. I'll be trying your recipe.. yum!

susieq9, Jan 21, 9:06am
bumping up. for grainy breads.

juliewn, Jan 21, 11:27am
Handmade Foccacia Bread Place 1 cup of flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp oregano into a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of Surebake Yeast (it works more quickly than the yeast granules). Stir well to combine these ingredients, then add 1 1/4 cups of warm water and whisk or stir well to combine. Cover and leave to stand for a few minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and enough flour, adding a little at a time, until the mix is very firm. You'll need to use your hands to knead the dough, as you reach the stage of adding the last of the flour.