Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 12 / 54
juliewn, Jan 21, 11:27am
Knead well - taking the outside of the dough, and folding it over and push it into the middle, repeating as you turn the dough - either on a floured surface or in the bowl. Continue kneading until the mix bounces back when you push your finger tip about a centimetre deep into the dough. Cover and set aside in a warm place to rise for 15 minutes. Push the dough down, and knead lightly again till smooth. Shape as you want, into flattish rolls or larger oval or circular breads, and place on a baking paper lined tray. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes. Brush the top of the dough with a little oil, and sprinkle with more dried herbs, sliced olives, sundried tomatoes, grated parmesan cheese, rock salt, etc. and bake at 230°C until golden. And enjoy. :-)

valentino, Jan 21, 7:52pm
Easter Buns ( makes 20 buns ). ¼ cup warm water ( blood heat ), ¼ tsp sugar, 1 tablespoon dried yeast, 4 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tablespoon mixed spice, ½ tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup currants, ½ cup mixed peel, 50 g butter melted, ½ cup Highlander condensed milk, ½ cup warm water approximately and 1 egg beaten. For the Glaze;- 1 tablespoon water, 1 tsp gelatine and 1 tablespoon castor sugar. And for the Decoration:- ½ to 1 cup white Choc melts.

Place ¼ cup warm water and sugar in a shallow bowl, sprinkle yeast over and stand in warm place until mixture is frothy. Place the flour, salt, spices and dried fruit in a large bowl and mix together. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients. Combine the butter, condensed milk and the second lot of warm water. Check that the mixture is just warm. Pour the yeast mixture into the well, add the liquid mixture and the egg. Mix well, adding a little more water or flour if necessary to make a soft slightly sticky dough.

valentino, Jan 21, 7:53pm
2nd bit to Easter buns. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 8 – 10 minutes or until the dough springs back when pressed lightly. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Turn the dough over so that the top is greased. Cover with plastic wrap. Leave to rise in a warm place until double in size ( approx 45 to 60 minutes ). Remove the plastic wrap, punch the dough down by pushing your fist to the bottom of the bowl. Turn out and divide into 20 even sized pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a round bun. Keep the dough covered with plastic wrap at all times when not being worked. Place the buns on a slightly greased oven tray at least 5cm apart or 1cm apart in a greased shallow rectangular sponge roll or cake tin. Cover with greased wrap and leave to rise in a warm place until the buns are doubled in size ( approx 45 minutes ). Bake in preheated oven 200c for about 20 minutes or until the buns are well risen and golden brown.

valentino, Jan 21, 7:54pm
3rd Bit.Final bit. While the buns are baking, prepare the glaze. Place the water in a shallow bowl and sprinkle gelatine over. Stand for 5 minutes or until the gelatine swells. Add the castor sugar. Heat gently over hot water until the gelatine and sugar dissolve. Remove the buns from the oven. Brush with the glaze and place on a rack to cool. When cold, decorate the buns. Place the choc in a bowl, bring a small quantity of water to the boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and place the bowl of choc firmly on top. Stir while the choc melts. Place the melted choc in a piping bag or in a plastic bag with one corner snipped off, pipe a cross on top of each bun.

One can mix the above bun part of the recipe in a bread-maker but only for dough mixing. Follow the manual re order of ingredients, usually liquids, then solid – liquids, then egg, salt, flours, spices, dried fruit, sugar, then finally yeast. When finished in bread-maker, punch the dough down on a floured surface then divide and continue as in above recipe.

.ookreeoo., Jan 22, 12:35am
yummy scrummy home made bread :D ooohhhh, being 12 weeks pregnant has left me craving home made bread tis awesome! loving the recipes :)

juliewn, Jan 22, 2:23am
That's great. :-). enjoy making your own delicious goodies. and ask in here if there's anything we can help with. Best wishes for your coming Babe too :-)

valentino, Jan 22, 2:48am
Hi Julewn, going to put a recipe following this. It is a "Cinnabon’s Style Cinnamon Buns". (These are those very rich sticky finger licking gooey Cinnamon Buns – very well known and sold in a Minneapolis-St Paul Shopping Mall called Little Canada – absolutely divine to the “T”. Note the extra butter and sugar amounts. Can be warmed up a little.Have placed some photos of some of us enjoying this sweet treat. Pics Link to http://groups.msn.com/HarrisRecipe/shoebox.msnw )

valentino, Jan 22, 2:49am
Cinnabon’s Style Cinnamon Buns Heavenly cinnamon rolls drizzled in a sweet icing.
Note Prep. Time: about 4 hours.
Serves: 12 – 15

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbls. ground cinnamon
4 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp. Sugar extra
1 cup warm to hot water
1 cup warm milk
2/3 cups sugar extra
170g melted butter
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs - slightly beaten
8 cups flour
125g melted butter extra
125g melted butter extra
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 cups icing sugar
170g melted butter extra
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. maple extract – optional and if available, but recommended ( Do not use Maple syrup – it is different )
up to 6 Tbls. hot water

valentino, Jan 22, 2:50am
2nd bit.the first part of method. Mix together 1 1/2 cups sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
-In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp. sugar in warm water; set aside.
-In a large bowl, mix together milk, 2/3 cup sugar, 170g melted butter, salt, and eggs; add yeast mixture and 4 cups of flour to mixture; beat until smooth; stir in enough flour to form a slightly stiff dough.
-Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead for 8 minutes.
-Place dough into a large greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
-Punch down dough and let rest for 5 minutes.
-Roll dough out onto a floured surface into a 38cm X 50cm approximately rectangle.
-Brush 125gmelted butter over dough; sprinkle cinnamon sugar evenly over dough; sprinkle nuts evenly over dough, if desired.

valentino, Jan 22, 2:51am
3rd Part. Final bit. Enjoy. -Tightly roll up dough and pinch edges together to seal; cut the roll into 12 - 15 slices using a very thin knife or thread and without squashing.
-Coat the bottom of a (minimum size) 32cm X 23cm X 5cm baking pan with 125g melted butter; sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar evenly in the bottom of the pan.
-Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the prepared pan; cover pan and allow to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
-Bake rolls in a 180c oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
-Stir together icing sugar, 170g melted butter, and extracts; stir in hot water, 1 Tbls. at a time, until the glaze reaches desired spreading consistency.
-Spread prepared icing over slightly cooled rolls. Serve warm.

valentino, Jan 22, 2:53am
That first lineshould read serves 12 to 15. then 1 1/2 cups etc etc.

joanne.ross, Jan 22, 4:36am
Freekeh, cracked Hi, Has anyone used cracked freekeh in bread.I have a free sample but have not been brave enough to try it.

juliewn, Jan 22, 7:32am
Bumping for summer bread making.

elliehen, Jan 23, 12:15am
Amusing chat about a breadmaker between writers Janice Marriott and Virginia Pawsey.

http://www.nzhouseandgarden.co.nz/Articles/Theirowndevices.asp

juliewn, Jan 23, 10:20am
Bumping for Taruawai.. :-)

lbell, Jan 23, 10:37am
Thanks Julie for taking the time to share and I will definately be giving some of these a go.

juliewn, Jan 23, 11:45pm
You're most welcome lbell.. hope you like them..

melissarosenz, Jan 23, 11:58pm
what an awesome thread! I can't believe I nearly missed it. :)

juliewn, Jan 24, 9:43am
Thanks Melissa.. I hope lot's more recipes will be added for other yeasty goodies.. yum!

carterne, Jan 24, 5:53pm
Julie Thanks for putting the effort into this thread. I saw you mention in another thread about making a molenburg like loaf Can you give me portions off the wheats and flour etc you use for that. Love it.

juliewn, Jan 24, 6:58pm
Hi Erica.. hope you're well.. :-) I hope the thread is of help, and that lot's more recipes will be added.. I used third of a cup each of the cornmeal, kibbled wheat and wholemeal.. totalling one cup, to replace one cup of flour. I used white flour for the rest of the flour quantity needed. I had a bread maker, used it for a while then sold it. Purchased another a few years later and eventually did the same - I like making the handmade bread better :-).. Have alovely day.. Julie

juliewn, Jan 26, 6:01am
Hi Joanne. I've not heard of it. what is it! Thanks.

juliewn, Jan 26, 6:04am
Bumping for Ookreeoo . hope this helps those cravings. :-)

friend21, Jan 26, 9:55am
My latest bread Into the dough I mix 1/4 cup of toasted sesame seeds, 1/4 cup of poppy seeds and 1/4 cup of mustard seeds and if I want to be radical I add a tablespoon of onion seeds (max) and a teaspoon of cumin seeds. You may read this and think what the $%#$%, but toasted with ham/salami/smoked chicken filling and a bit of mustard it is stunning.

When I am about to bake my bread I paste the loaf with an egg glaze coat it with the spice mixture and bake it. When I take it out of the oven I slather the egg wash over it and then if it is being baked in a tin I let it dry (very quick) before tipping the loaf out. This way the coating stays on the bread even when it is cut,

juliewn, Jan 26, 10:18am
Hi Friend21. Yum. sure sounds delicious. I like sunflower and pumpkin seeds on top too, and mixed in also. rolled oats is also nice on top. I added a good sized handful of rolled oats to the dough when I made rolls recently - expecting they would add a nice texture to the rolls - they were impossible to see as they'd completely absorbed. still added extra goodness though.