Bread Machine- Hotcross bun bread

leodevos, Mar 9, 4:50am
Do you have a yummy recipe for a great raisin bread to use in a bread machine!

245sam, Mar 9, 5:05am
leodevos, as a rule I don't use bread mixes but the Spicy Fruit Bread that we enjoy is one exception - it uses both white and wholemeal breadmixes, which I buy from Bin Inn, and it makes a delicious bread.The original recipe used cinnamon and mixed spice but whilst it was still available we preferred Bin Inn's Easter Bun Spice Mix.I have since found, on the internet, a recipe for a very good alternative spice mix.
Would you like that bread recipe!:-))

bex2211, Mar 9, 5:22am
Yes I would be interested in it.

bex2211, Mar 9, 5:35am
Thanks kinna.

leodevos, Mar 10, 12:45am
Thanks for all the recipes, but what about one that doesn't use bread mix, I like to use plain flour and add the rest. Never tried the mixes. 245sam when you state bread mix could I use just plain flour and wholewheat flour! :-)

kinna54, Mar 10, 2:07am
leodevos the recipe I posted doesn't use a bread mix.
The top posting *Breville recipe is yummy.*
I have it cooking at the moment, on french setting at the moment,(but as in the recipe, you can cook it on sweet or basic *but NOT rapid*.)i t smells devine. I will post a pic when its finished.

leodevos, Mar 10, 6:41am
Thanks kinna54 your bread looks great. Will try the recipe this week.

jns, Mar 25, 1:47am
Today I made Kinna54s spiced loaf .It was the best one I've made ever!I didn't have dates so used sultanas & raisins.Thank you for sharing this recipie with us :)

kinna54, Mar 25, 2:15am
Happy you liked it and it turned out well. I often just use whatever mixed fruit I have, I've often added dried apricots, cranberries, currants, prunes,but yes my favourite as well is theraisins and sultanasmix.
May you continue to enjoy!

jns, Mar 25, 7:57am
That's a good idea, will try some different fruits.

Have you ever used this recipe but turned it into individual buns & baked in the oven!Thought it may be an idea, then I could freeze some for school lunches.

kinna54, Mar 25, 9:44am
No I haven't made theses as individual buns, timing would be the key, I guess you could just take the dough outbefore it does the second rise, but you would have to work out how far into the cycle that is, most dough cycles take about 1 1/2 hours so maybe take the dough out then, shape into rolls and let rise again in a warm place for around 20 mins -30mins and then bake.
Note:* this is only a guess tho* haven't tried it! If you do experiment please let me know how it goes.*

jns, Mar 25, 11:41pm
I might give them a go.My breadmaker booklet has the timings for each stage of the rises etc, so will have a work out and give it a try.Will let you know if it works.

pickles7, Mar 25, 5:54pm
may take a look in here later

flower-child01, Mar 25, 6:44pm
My ffruit bread recipe is:

Fruit bread

3 tsp yeast
450g flour (3 1/2 c)
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp milk powder
1 tsp salt
320ml water
1 c sultanas (preboiled 5 mins and drained)

Handmade:
For bread making you need a warm environment. I place my glass bowls in the oven at its lowest setting, to warm the flour, activating the yeast, and for the first rise.

In a pot melt the butter, add to this the sugar, and the water, and the milk powder, heat till luke warm.
Place in a warm small bowl, sprinkle yeast on top, knock below the surface. Set aside for 10-15 mins till this is frothy.
Place flour, salt, fruit, and spices in a large warmed glass bowl, mix. Make a well.
Pour the water, yeast mix in the flour well.
Using a dinner knife slowly work in the ingredients in the bowl working from center to outside, till it is worked in. Add more tepid water if necessary.
Tip on to floured bench and knead for four to five minutes, don’t hesitate to add more flour, your dough should not be sticky, nor dry.
Place in a large greased bowl (glass). Cover bowl with cling wrap and let rise in a warm area till it has doubled in size, approximately half an hour.
Take out and knead a couple of times. Place in a greased bread loaf tin*.
Let rise in warm area for about 20-30 mins.
Bake 200°C 25-30mins (when the bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped). Let cool for half an hour before cutting, if you can wait this long.

I personally obmit the milk powder, and use whole milk instead of the water.

*Unless the tin is Chicago Metalic brand it is essential the tin is lined with baking paper to avoid a gradual breakdown in the pans surface, due to the acids in the bread.

Bread-machine:
Place all ingredients, bar the sultanas, in the pan. Set to raisin mode. Add fruit when the machine indicates.

For my hot cross buns my recipe is:
Hot cross buns

For bread making you need a warm environment. I place my glass bowls in the oven at its lowest setting, to warm the flour, activating the yeast, and for the first rise.

3/4 c sultanas or currents
Place in a pot, cover with water, bring to the boil, simmer for five minutes, drain.

50g (2 oz) butter
1/4 c brown sugar
1 1/4 c milk
3 1/2 c flour – unbleached or high grade, warmed
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp active yeast
1 egg, beaten

For the crosses
1/2 c flour
1/3 c cold water (approx)

In a pot melt the butter, add the sugar, and the milk, heat till luke warm.
Place in a warm small bowl, sprinkle yeast on top, knock below the surface. Set aside for 10-15 mins till this is frothy.
Place flour, salt, fruit, and spices in a large warmed glass bowl, mix. Make a well.
Pour the milk, yeast mix in the flour well. Add the egg.
Using a dinner knife slowly work in the ingredients in the bowl working from center to outside, till it is worked in. Add more tepid milk if necessary. (At this stage it can be left in the fridge overnight, take it out, knead it slightly and leave it to return to room temperature for about an hour before continuing on.)
Tip on to floured bench and knead for four to five minutes, don’t hesitate to add more flour, your dough should not be sticky, nor dry.
Divide dough into 12 even pieces with a board scraper or scissors. Shape each piece into a round roll and arrange them in rows in a shallow baking paper lined* tray about 1cm apart.
Cover with cling wrap and let rise for 25 minutes.

Making the crosses
Make a soft paste from the flour and cold water. Place in a small sealable snack bag, snip a small corner. Pipe crosses.
Bake 180°C for about 20 minutes, until golden brown and hollow sounding.
While the buns are still hot you can glaze the buns with the mixture of 1/4 c caster sugar and 2 tbsp warm water, if you desire.

flower-child01, Mar 25, 6:47pm
As you can see they are similar yet different. I do use Surbake yeast in my Hot cross buns, but obmit the egg if i do so, All my breadmaking is now done by hand after my machine died, but I kept all recipes. I would make the mix in the machine as a dough mode, then take out and divide the dough. Another thing I often do is place water on the bottom of the oven on my covered element and don't cover the buns on the final rise.

flower-child01, Mar 25, 7:02pm
I have been playing around with my cross paste and so far use this:
100 g (3.5oz) Plain flour
1 Pinch of salt
1 tsp Vegetable oil
Make the cross paste 1 hour prior. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the salt and oil, then add 4 tbsp water a little at a time to form a paste that can be piped. Set aside until required.

guest, Jan 11, 9:18am
Until I found this I thhuogt I'd have to spend the day inside.

guest, Jan 13, 1:48pm
Hi all, not bscauee i ??, it is bscauee Hsling share her great recipes, am not qualify to open bakery, still got a lot of good baker out there, so long I can prepare for my kids, I'm satisfy.

guest, Jan 14, 9:58am
I thhogut finding this would be so arduous but it's a breeze!