Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 13 / 54
lbell, Jan 27, 12:14am
I made Ham Mayo and cheese twirls today and they are perfect. Here is the recipe: 3 teaspoons yeast, 3 cups flour, 1 tblspn sugar, 2 tablspn milk powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 300ml warm water. Dough function on the bread maker. I them rolled it out into a large rectangle about 1cm thick. Spread a tablespoon of Mayo on top and chopped ham and grated cheese. Roll it up. and then slice it into twirls mine were about 1 inch thick. Place them on a greased tray and add a little extra grated cheese on top of each twirl. Bake 190% for 30 minutes. This is a huge hit with the kids and so easy to make.

wron, Jan 27, 3:14am
Just amazing! This thread that is! Thanks Juliewn - and I trust it will never die!

juliewn, Jan 27, 3:33am
Thanks Bruce.. hope it's of help.. :-) Hi lbell.. that sounds great.. :-)I have a feeling it would be good too with pesto spread over the dough, then some grated cheese.. before rolling up.. You've inspired me to head into the kitchen and make your recipe.. thanks.. and .... yum!..

uli, Jan 27, 5:52am
Sourdough starter recipe This is the original sourdough, made with rye. All it is is flour and water, mixed and left to attract
bacteria and wild yeasts. It is best to use freshly milled whole grains as the outside of the grain
will have lots of micro organisms attached. Mix 3 tablespoons rye flour with a little water (best is
boiled water, use lukewarm) in a screwtop jar. Stir well - it should look like a medium thick
pancake batter. Put lid on loosely or use cheesecloth to cover (to keep little flies out) and keep in
a warm place. Temperature is quite important. It should be warm but not too hot. About 20-25°C
is good. Temperatures over 40°C will kill all yeasts that you are going to attract!! Keep this batter
stirred with a very clean fork or spoon approx. every 12hours. Then keep it quiet, nice and warm
again.

uli, Jan 27, 5:53am
Feeding the starter Once every day (after the 2nd day) add a couple of spoonsfuls of flour and a little more water in
addition to just stirring it and mix in thoroughly. Repeat the mixing and feeding for about 5 days
by which time you should have a bubbly slightly sour smelling dough. In this starting phase the
dough can smell overpowering like vinegar or very yeasty or even like all sorts of other things.
As long as it is not an unpleasant rotten smell all is fine. The yeasts and sour bacteria are still
trying to find a nice symbiosis and it will level out in the end and form a stable culture.

uli, Jan 27, 5:54am
You can often read in "how-to" books You can often read in "how-to" books that you should add yeast, caraway seeds, potato water or
other things. I don't think all that is necessary, and it can even be detrimental as these extras will
bring their own bacteria and stuff to the game and these may overpower the delicate sourdough
that is starting to emerge. So I have always just used water and flour with excellent results.

If everything goes fine you will have a nice starter at the end of the week. If something went
wrong you will have a messy sludge to bury in the garden. If the dough has strange smells like
rotten food, has mold"hairs" on top or turns into punky colours (red, black, blue or green) then
you know that some foreign bacteria or mold spores have taken over and its time to get rid of the
experiment. Jar and other tools need to be cleaned thoroughly with very hot water. And you
better start again with fresh clean equipment.

uli, Jan 27, 5:58am
Once somebody made the starter I will continue with recipes. Don't want to clog up the thread with useless recipes :)

wron, Jan 27, 8:50am
Made the Ham, mayo and cheese twirls for tea tonight, very yummy but only took just over 20m to cook. next time will include some sun dried tomato. Thanks for recipe - bread maker certainly makes it effortless. Hardest part cleaning the oven tray afterwards - should have used baking paper or the non stick BBQ sheet.

juliewn, Jan 27, 8:56am
Thanks for those posts Uli.. yum! Would you post the recipes for us all please.. would be great.. and.. Caroline66 is looking for a Rye Sourdough recipe..

lbell, Jan 27, 10:34am
I have a question for you knowledgable breadmakers When you glaze does it take away the dry flour on the outside of the rolls? and what do you glaze with? I made some rolls and my son said Mum you put to much flour in it didn't cook on the outside.. hehe...

uli, Jan 27, 8:42pm
Yep will post the beginners recipes first But you will need to make the starter first. And that will take till middle of next week. So I will start posting the recipes in the next couple of days as I have time.

lbell, Jan 28, 12:30am
I decided to glaze with a little Olive Oil and it looks good so far.

juliewn, Jan 29, 9:20am
Hope you enjoyed trying some of the recipes Dcon.. :-)

juliewn, Jan 29, 1:52pm
Bumping. hope this helps.

buzzy110, Jan 29, 11:37pm
juliewn I hope you will forgive me. I posted your mixed grain recipe and subsequent explanatory post in Health and Beauty for a poster who had specifically asked for such a recipe, which I couldn't supply because I only do sour dough, so my recipe would be incomprehensible.

oldie, Jan 31, 12:10am
what is a good recipe for bread (breadmaker) that i dont have to get bread flour, can i use a ordinay floour
and could anyone sugest some good recipes.
cheers peter

245sam, Jan 31, 12:29am
Peter,I have tried making bread with all-purpose/plain/standard flour but I prefer to use High Grade flour although I have occasionally read of others who happily use the all-purpose/plain/standard flour.

There are lots of good recipes in this thread but do you have a particular type or flavour of bread that you'd like to makee.g.Sesame Yoghurt; Pesto & Pine nut; Oatbran & Sunflower- these are just some of the recipes that I have in the breadmaker recipe book but they, together with the basic white bread and 50% wholemeal bread, are the recipes that I have made many times so I can assure you that they are all successful.

As a matter of interest what type of breadmaker do you have and what size loaf is it able to make.My/our breadmaker is a Panasonic and I find that the best sized loaf to make in it, is one that uses about 450g flour.:-))

245sam, Jan 31, 12:29am
Peter,I have tried making bread with all-purpose/plain/standard flour but I prefer to use High Grade flour although I have occasionally read of others who happily use the all-purpose/plain/standard flour.

There are lots of good recipes in this thread but do you have a particular type or flavour of bread that you'd like to makee.g.Sesame Yoghurt; Pesto & Pine nut; Oatbran & Sunflower- these are just some of the recipes that I have in the breadmaker recipe book but they, together with the basic white bread and 50% wholemeal bread, are the recipes that I have made many times so I can assure you that they are all successful.

As a matter of interest what type of breadmaker do you have and what size loaf is it able to make.My/our breadmaker is a Panasonic and I find that the best sized loaf to make in it, is one that uses about 450g flour.:-))

oldie, Jan 31, 2:04am
hi 245sam. i have a sunbeam and it makes 750 or 1kg i enjoy grain bread rather than plain white bread, and i put all sorts of "stuff" in it. dried apricots to a variety of seeds eg pumpkin and i like to put nuts in it aslo.
variety is awesome. and and ALL recipes would be great, i dont have a recipe book so it is what i pick up from any avenu i can. cheers peter ak oldie

oldie, Jan 31, 2:10am
pity this isnt a thread on its own. Years ago the recipe thread was nonexistant, it was previously "the americas cup" thread, i then started the recipe thread, but TM would give us our own thread, so i asked people posting their recipes to put them in the Americas cup thread (it was not getting any posts) so we did, that is how the recipes thread started. (notice no americas cup thread exists)

oldie, Jan 31, 2:17am
if you wish to email me it is [email protected].
i strongly urge all bread recipe questions get flooded on this link and all users petion TM to start own separate thread.
cheers peter aka oldie

oldie, Jan 31, 2:21am
oops i was hoping this went underjuliewn posting. she has started a great thread and a fabulous reason for its own. the potential is enormous. cheers peter

245sam, Jan 31, 3:13am
Hi again Peter, the only breadmaker recipe book I have is the one that came with our Panasonic breadmaker and because we find that grainy breads do not generally agree with us we mainly have white flour based breads which the following one is but I can assure you that it is a nice bread and, of course, it does have some 'hidden' extra fibre in the form of the oatbran.

OATBRAN AND SUNFLOWER SEED BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
400g white flour
50g each ofoat branandsunflower seeds
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp each ofbutterandmilk powder
1 tsp salt
340ml water

This recipe and any others that I will post for you have the ingredients listed in the order in which they should be placed in a Panasonic breadmaker - your Sunbeam, and any other make/brand, may differ so it's best to check your breadmaker's manual for the correct order.:-))

245sam, Jan 31, 3:33am
the following recipes are all personally untested.....

MIXED GRAIN BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
300g white flour
100g wholemeal flour
50g each ofoatmealandbuckwheat groats
30g cornmeal
1 tbsp each ofwhole linseeds,toasted sunflower seedsand
brown sugar
1 tsp salt
360ml water

KIBBLED WHEAT AND PUMPKIN KERNEL BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
350g white flour
150g wholemeal flour
50g each ofkibbled wheatandpumpkin seeds
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
360ml water

SOY AND LINSEED BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
300g white flour
100g wholemeal flour
50g each ofsoy flourandground linseed
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
360ml water

245sam, Jan 31, 3:38am
MALTED SULTANA BRAN BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
350g white flour
150g wholemeal flour
100g sultana bran cereal
1 tbsp malt
1 tsp salt
380ml water

BANANA MUESLI BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
350g white flour
150g wholemeal flour
100g toasted muesli
50g banana chips
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
360ml water

Note:these two recipes plus those as posted at #1053 and #1054 are intended to be made and baked on the Multigrain setting of the Panasonic breadmaker.:-))