Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 9 / 54
juliewn, Dec 26, 12:49pm
Bumping for 0800xford

0800xford, Dec 26, 7:16pm
ha ha thanks, here's a funny photo i took a while ago on a 'breakfast bar' in auckland central

breakfast (for example)
http://oi56.tinypic.com/10oppjq.jpg

dcon, Dec 29, 11:21pm
Have cut-and-pasted several recipes, hopefully I'll get to try them over the weekend. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

juliewn, Dec 31, 12:49pm
Hi Jam-Sam. I don't have a recipe for a potato bread - however check out my posts 352 and 357 above on this page, for making kumara bread. and Fernoux's reply in post 362 after making kumara bread. You could try this with potato instead of kumara. Let us know how you get on if you decide to try this. Thanks. I hope this helps. and have a Happy New Year.

juliewn, Jan 1, 3:46am
Bumping for Mumstu. :-)

caitlin_n, Jan 1, 6:26am
Breadmakers There seems to be enough knowledgeable people here that might be able to help me with my question: any suggestions for good breadmakers!

books4nz, Jan 4, 7:38am
Bumping so I can save some of these recipes. Thanks.

valentino, Jan 4, 9:30pm
Bumping for sam.bon to have a good perusal.

trah, Jan 5, 11:35pm
What an amazing thread!I have to admit, I have only read three pages but hopefully, sometime I will get the time to go through more thoroughly.

I have a question about yeast.When I wanted to try a no knead recipe using wholemeal/highgrade mixed flours, I was confused by the three types of yeast on the shelf in the supermarket and didn't really know which to choose.One ruled itself out for some reason (think it was for breamaker machines only and I am using tins and oven) but of the other two, I plumped for Edmonds Surebake Active Yeast mixture (ideal for Breadmakers).When it says "Ideal for Breadmakers" - this is what I found ambiguous...... did it mean breadmaker machines or people who like making bread?!!!Anyway, the loaf I have just made with it has been disappointing.Didn't rise really before I baked it, and has not risen in the baking.So disappointed - I have never baked bread successfully and this was my first attempt for about 25 years!I SOOOO wanted it to be good!

trah, Jan 5, 11:35pm
What an amazing thread!I have to admit, I have only read three pages but hopefully, sometime I will get the time to go through more thoroughly.

I have a question about yeast.When I wanted to try a no knead recipe using wholemeal/highgrade mixed flours, I was confused by the three types of yeast on the shelf in the supermarket and didn't really know which to choose.One ruled itself out for some reason (think it was for breamaker machines only and I am using tins and oven) but of the other two, I plumped for Edmonds Surebake Active Yeast mixture (ideal for Breadmakers).When it says "Ideal for Breadmakers" - this is what I found ambiguous. did it mean breadmaker machines or people who like making bread!!Anyway, the loaf I have just made with it has been disappointing.Didn't rise really before I baked it, and has not risen in the baking.So disappointed - I have never baked bread successfully and this was my first attempt for about 25 years!I SOOOO wanted it to be good!

davidt4, Jan 5, 11:38pm
"No knead" breads are often unsuccessful.If you tell us the recipe and exactly what you did someone can probably help.

trah, Jan 6, 12:54am
It is "Easy Little Bread" from the book, Dulcie's Kitchen.

1c P Flour (I used Highgrade)
1c Wholemeal flour
1c rolled oats
1 and a half teaspoons salt
1 and a quarter c warm water
2 tsp dry yeast
1 tb honey
Oil and butter for brushing

Mix tog the first three ings.Mix together the water and yeast and stir till dissolved.Stir in the honey (I warmed this slightly first as it was not liquid honey).

Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients, mix very well together.
Turn dough into tin that has been brushed with oil and butter mixture, and brush top of mixture with same.
Cover tin with damp teatowel and leave in warm place for 30 mins to rise.
Leave in tin and bake 35-40 mins at 180C.

First of all, I would not describe it as a dough, when mixed.Too sloppy to be called dough, in my opinion.

I set it outside in the sun on the deck with damp teatowel over (hot day in Auck today) for 40 mins and then put it into the oven, but it had not risen when I put it into the oven.

Any clues here about what went wrong?

Edited to say that the yeast has a use by date of Feb 2010 and I have stored it in the fridge before using.

trah, Jan 6, 12:54am
It is "Easy Little Bread" from the book, Dulcie's Kitchen.

1c P Flour (I used Highgrade)
1c Wholemeal flour
1c rolled oats
1 and a half teaspoons salt
1 and a quarter c warm water
2 tsp dry yeast
1 tb honey
Oil and butter for brushing

Mix tog the first three ings.Mix together the water and yeast and stir till dissolved.Stir in the honey (I warmed this slightly first as it was not liquid honey).

Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients, mix very well together.
Turn dough into tin that has been brushed with oil and butter mixture, and brush top of mixture with same.
Cover tin with damp teatowel and leave in warm place for 30 mins to rise.
Leave in tin and bake 35-40 mins at 180C.

First of all, I would not describe it as a dough, when mixed.Too sloppy to be called dough, in my opinion.

I set it outside in the sun on the deck with damp teatowel over (hot day in Auck today) for 40 mins and then put it into the oven, but it had not risen when I put it into the oven.

Any clues here about what went wrong!

Edited to say that the yeast has a use by date of Feb 2010 and I have stored it in the fridge before using.

davidt4, Jan 6, 1:24am
The recipe is similar to a wartime no-knead bread called Grant Loaf, which was made with 100% wholemeal flour.I can't comment on the use of Surebake because I have never used it, but I think the problem is not enough yeast and too much salt.The Grant loaf involved a large quantity of yeast, partly because it is necessary if the bread is to rise very quickly and partly because of its food value.

Salt retards yeast activity, and this quantity is not appropriate for a quick bread.

If you want to try this kind of bread again I suggest changing the quantities to 1 rounded tablespoon of active yeast (not Surebake) and 1/2 tsp salt.The dough does need to be very sloppy or it has no chance of rising quickly.

If you really want to make a simple loaf of bread I can give you a straightforward recipe, but it requires kneading.Let me know if you want it.

davidt4, Jan 6, 1:24am
The recipe is similar to a wartime no-knead bread called Grant Loaf, which was made with 100% wholemeal flour.I can't comment on the use of Surebake because I have never used it, but I think the problem is not enough yeast and too much salt.The Grant loaf involved a large quantity of yeast, partly because it is necessary if the bread is to rise very quickly and partly because of its food value.

Salt retards yeast activity, and this quantity is not appropriate for a quick bread.

If you want to try this kind of bread again I suggest changing the quantities to 1 rounded tablespoon of active yeast (not Surebake) and 1/2 tsp salt.The dough does need to be very sloppy or it has no chance of rising quickly.

If you really want to make a simple loaf of bread I can give you a straightforward recipe, but it requires kneading.Let me know if you want it.

trah, Jan 6, 3:14am
Thanks so much davidt4.I might try this one again using your suggestions re salt and yeast quantities, but may not now get time until next week.My yeast is actually Surebake Active Yeast.Are you saying that is not suitable?It says recommended for home breadmaking and breadmaking machines.

If that doesn't work for me, I'll get back to you with a request for your Kneady recipe.

trah, Jan 6, 3:14am
Thanks so much davidt4.I might try this one again using your suggestions re salt and yeast quantities, but may not now get time until next week.My yeast is actually Surebake Active Yeast.Are you saying that is not suitable!It says recommended for home breadmaking and breadmaking machines.

If that doesn't work for me, I'll get back to you with a request for your Kneady recipe.

davidt4, Jan 6, 3:21am
Surebake is yeast plus "dough improvers" that speed up the action of the yeast and soften the crumb of the bread to make it more like fluffy mass produced commercial bread.It is primarily used in automatic breadmaking machines.

Just use ordinary DYC Active Yeast.

juliewn, Jan 6, 10:48am
Bumping for Sammy01 :-)

juliewn, Jan 7, 10:29am
Bumping for Smf. :-)

whiskey13, Jan 7, 9:57pm
Bump to start using my breadmaker again

carterne, Jan 9, 4:03am
bump to celebrate first birthday soon!

barloo, Jan 9, 6:20am
oks all you bread making darlings! I have some kibbled Grain, wheatgerm and pumpkin seeds. I have gathered I have to soak the kibbled for about 5 mins in hot water, then drain and add. I will do this at 2nd stage when making the dough stage. I will probably add sultanas to the soaking too. Should I add a bit of oil too! I will be using wholemeal flour. I make plain ans wholemeal by hand and no recipe, so doing the same with this one soon:) I will be making rolls to freeze down ready to grab for work and the gym!

juliewn, Jan 9, 10:08am
Hi Barloo. I don't think you would need to add any oil. sounds a delicious mix you're making. let us know how it goes. and enjoy your goodies.

barloo, Jan 9, 10:16am
snacks lips Very nice indeed! lol the buzzer went and thought nothing off it and carried on munching on flat bread. Then it hit me like a rock it was me rolls in the oven!hahahahaha Need I say more! pmsl Brushed with rice bran oil and they came up great. Now cooling under a damp cloth:) When cold I will fill, wrap and freeze:) oh and a little rice bran oil in mix too.