Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 51 / 54
lythande1, Feb 1, 2:46am
Whoo. 1tsp yeast. Leave to rise for 15 hours (approx), then bake.,

1Tbsp will make it rise too fast and you won't get the nice fluffy on the inside, crusty on the outside.

caroline66, Feb 1, 2:55am
Hey thanks Uli! I used to be very good at breadmaking when I was younger but this is proving more of a challenge.

The other loaf came out with a nice crust but very dense on the inside (wouldn't want to drop it on my toe!).Re-activated some of the starter, so should be ready by Sunday for another attempt!I now have about 2.5 cups of starter with some frothing.It is smelling nice.How much yeast should I add and should put it in the hot water cupboard instead of just on the bench!

lindylambchops1, Feb 1, 8:55am
Could you please clarify the recipe!should it read 1 teaspoon of yeast!1 tablespoon of salt & 1 tablespoon of sugar!Many thanks!

juliewn, Feb 1, 9:24am
Hiya Tracey. :-). Happy Holidays to you. . Hi Everyone. I'm away until around 16 February, so hopefully recipes and posts will keep the thread bumped. Cheers. Julie

suie1, Feb 1, 10:30pm
Pannettone recipe does anyone have one! thanks

uli, Feb 1, 11:57pm
I would leave it on the bench for now as it is really quite warm at the moment. I would do the old "make a well in the centre of your flour" thing and add a teaspoon full of yeast granules and a teaspoon of suger and a bit of lukewarm water. Wait until the yeast bubbles and frothes and then add your sourdough and mix it all together with the salt and spices if you want to use any. For rye I often use some caraway seeds and some linseed and a bit of coriander if you like that taste. But just salt is good too, as it doesn't mask the flavour.

uli, Feb 1, 11:59pm
If the bread was very dense then that means either that it had not enough water and/ornot enough yeast. Just try smaller quantities at first so you can figure out what will work with your particular batch of flour. Flours can be quite different from different mills and if it is coarse wholemeal then it takes up more water than if it is fine or even white flour, which can also lead to a dense loaf even if there was sufficient yeast to raise it.

uli, Feb 2, 12:02am
If you want to get a bit more technical later on then I can give you some hints on how to do a proper sourdough feeding schedule with feeding amounts and temperatures for the different steps. Especially in winter it is quite important to do it a bit more sophisticated to get good results all the time. If it gets too cold in your kitchen then the bread can get quite sour and have not much taste otherwise and that is not what you want. You want to create a nice symbiosis of acetic acid and lactic acid bacteria together with your yeasts.

katalin2, Feb 2, 4:24am
Easy wholemeal bread without breadmaker 2 C warm water
1 T yeast
1 desert spoon sugar
3 C white flour
3 C w/meal flour
shake of salt
Put water in bowl. Add yeast and sugar- place in sink of slightly warmer water to activate yeast. Grease 2 loaf tins thoroughly.
Remove bowl from sink, add flours and salt.
Put mixture into 2 tins, filling them no more than 1/2 full. Stand tins in warm place till risen to the top- about 20 minutes, may be longer in cooler weather.
Bake for 45 minutes 200 degrees.
Cool on rack.
I have just come back from 2 weeks sailing far from shops and made this every few days- it was much appreciated. Can replace 1/2 C of the flour with wholegrain rye or wheat- sprinkle a little on top of loaf before baking.

juliewn, Feb 2, 1:13pm
Bumping for Strange. :-)

bunny51, Feb 3, 8:26am
a bump because someone was asking

caroline66, Feb 5, 4:46am
Hi Uli.Thanks for all your instructions! My second attempt urned out much better this time with the added yeast, although I used water instead of milk (I don't consume cows milk).I did however put it on a baking sheet instead of in a loaf tin and it certainly expanded - sideways!It was actually pretty good in texture and had a nice sourdough flavour though.Will put it in a loaf tin next time.I only want to make pure rye bread without different flours, so am prepared for it to be heavier that most.Would appreciate the more technical feeding schedule when you have time.Thanks again.

helen59, Feb 5, 7:45am
Focaccia Bread I got this recipe from a boy I once taught because I noticed he always had yummy bread for lunch. I have made it hundreds of times since. I make the dough in the breadmaker then shape it by hand. I often make a spare batch and put it in the freezer - then when I want to use it I just take it out of the freezer, thaw it to room temp and shape as usual. This is enough for 1 lge or 2 small loaves.

helen59, Feb 5, 7:54am
Focaccia Bread Recipe 2 tsp surebake, 3c highgrade flour, 1t sugar, 1 Tab butter (I use olive oil), 1 Tab milk powder, 1 tsp salt, 300mls water.
Set the machine to dough.
When cycle is complete shape into flat loave/s (I usually do one loaf about the size of a dinner plate).
Dimple the top every 6cm by pressing your finger well into the dough. Leave to rise 30 mins. Combine 2 Tabs olive oil, 1/2 t salt and 1 t dried basil, thyme and rosemary.
Bake 200 20-25 mins.
Variations - ther have been numerous!
Rise for a bit longer for a higher loaf. Or add bacon and onion to the mixture (no salt) Add herbs to the dough. Put grated cheese on top instead of oil etc. No topping. Pesto. The list is endless.

kaiser2, Feb 5, 8:03am
good old scones. Just wondering if anyone has tried making up a scone mix in a breadmaker! If you can mix up a pizza base and all sorts of like things then a scone mix should be possible too.

helen59, Feb 5, 8:04am
Juliewn Thanks you thank you. What a great series of recipes.

juliewn, Feb 5, 12:56pm
and for Hotcross Bun recipes. 'tis the season soon. and they're available already in the shops.

juliewn, Feb 6, 12:40pm
For Pita breads.

evorotorua, Feb 6, 6:28pm
just coz

davidt4, Feb 6, 9:03pm
You need strong flour to make bread.Champion High Grade is good.

Don't worry about the semolina.

buzzy110, Feb 6, 9:55pm
Semolina is preferable but ordinary flour will do. Remember that the word here is 'dust' not as in keep piling flour onto the kneading surface to stop the dough from being sticky, kneading should do that, but merely to 'help' the kneading process along.

lb1, Feb 7, 6:08am
has anyone made a . vogel/burgen type loaf in their breadmaker!

juliewn, Feb 8, 11:22am
Bumpety bumping. and adding.

I've been making rolls in very lightly oil-sprayed muffin pan. they come out a lovely golden colour, crispy outside, light inside, and just delicious. at a friends housewarming party, two chefs commented on how much they enjoyed them, with their wives saying, they don't give compliments easily!. thanks Mike and Michael!

juliewn, Feb 8, 12:13pm
Hi. When I had a bread maker, I made loaves that followed the white bread recipe, and I substituted 1 cup of mixed grains for one cup of white flour, 1/2 cup wholemeal flour for 1/2 cup of white flour and 1/2 cup of soy flour, or soy grits,for 1/2 a cup of white flour. So the 2 cups of flour were replaced by the grains, wholemeal and soy flour or grits, and I used white flour for the rest of the flour needed in the recipe. For the grains, I used a mix of kibbled wheat, kibbled rye, and coarsely ground cornmeal. This made a loaf that was about half way between Molenberg bread and Vogel/Burgen breads. I hope this helps.

juliewn, Feb 8, 9:40pm
Hi Everyone.
Just a note while we're away. hope all is good for you all. Cheers. Julie