Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 50 / 54
floralsun, Jan 23, 10:23pm
Fudgefairy - to find what you're wanting quickly- click - at the same time - on Ctrl (bottom left of your keyboard) and the letter F on your keyboard - with a page of the thread already open, then type in gluten in the box that pops up. Click next till that page is completed, go to the next page and repeat. There was a gluten free recipe thread also - and do a search on www.trademecooks.co.nz also.

juliewn, Jan 23, 11:45pm
You're most welcome lbell. hope you like them.

melissarosenz, Jan 23, 11:58pm
what an awesome thread! I can't believe I nearly missed it. :)

elliehen, Jan 24, 12:15am
Amusing chat about a breadmaker between writers Janice Marriott and Virginia Pawsey.

http://www.nzhouseandgarden.co.nz/Articles/Theirowndevices.asp

juliewn, Jan 24, 9:43am
Thanks Melissa. I hope lot's more recipes will be added for other yeasty goodies. yum!

juliewn, Jan 24, 6:58pm
Hi Erica. hope you're well. :-) I hope the thread is of help, and that lot's more recipes will be added. I used third of a cup each of the cornmeal, kibbled wheat and wholemeal. totalling one cup, to replace one cup of flour. I used white flour for the rest of the flour quantity needed. I had a bread maker, used it for a while then sold it. Purchased another a few years later and eventually did the same - I like making the handmade bread better :-). Have alovely day. Julie

bunny51, Jan 27, 12:51am
Mixed seed buns 1 1/2 cups(Ish) water, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 tablespoon milk powder, 2 tablespoon oil, 3 cups high grade flour, 1 cup wholemeal flour 1 (Ish) tablespoon wheat ger, 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon linseeds, 4 teaspoons surebake yeast.(Yes it is teaspoons seeds makes a lightly seeded bread rather than lots of seeds, kids all enjoyed the buns for their lunch- Oh yes and the recipe was a combination of a couple of recipes with a few changes because of some ingredients I didn't have) Shape finished dough into bun shapes leave to rise then bake till cook 180oc

juliewn, Jan 27, 3:33am
Thanks Bruce. hope it's of help. :-) Hi lbell. that sounds great. :-)I have a feeling it would be good too with pesto spread over the dough, then some grated cheese. before rolling up. You've inspired me to head into the kitchen and make your recipe. thanks. and . yum!.

uli, Jan 27, 5:52am
Sourdough starter recipe This is the original sourdough, made with rye. All it is is flour and water, mixed and left to attract
bacteria and wild yeasts. It is best to use freshly milled whole grains as the outside of the grain
will have lots of micro organisms attached. Mix 3 tablespoons rye flour with a little water (best is
boiled water, use lukewarm) in a screwtop jar. Stir well - it should look like a medium thick
pancake batter. Put lid on loosely or use cheesecloth to cover (to keep little flies out) and keep in
a warm place. Temperature is quite important. It should be warm but not too hot. About 20-25°C
is good. Temperatures over 40°C will kill all yeasts that you are going to attract! Keep this batter
stirred with a very clean fork or spoon approx. every 12hours. Then keep it quiet, nice and warm
again.

uli, Jan 27, 5:54am
You can often read in "how-to" books You can often read in "how-to" books that you should add yeast, caraway seeds, potato water or
other things. I don't think all that is necessary, and it can even be detrimental as these extras will
bring their own bacteria and stuff to the game and these may overpower the delicate sourdough
that is starting to emerge. So I have always just used water and flour with excellent results.

If everything goes fine you will have a nice starter at the end of the week. If something went
wrong you will have a messy sludge to bury in the garden. If the dough has strange smells like
rotten food, has mold"hairs" on top or turns into punky colours (red, black, blue or green) then
you know that some foreign bacteria or mold spores have taken over and its time to get rid of the
experiment. Jar and other tools need to be cleaned thoroughly with very hot water. And you
better start again with fresh clean equipment.

uli, Jan 27, 5:58am
Once somebody made the starter I will continue with recipes. Don't want to clog up the thread with useless recipes :)

juliewn, Jan 27, 8:56am
Thanks for those posts Uli. yum! Would you post the recipes for us all please. would be great. and. Caroline66 is looking for a Rye Sourdough recipe.

lbell, Jan 27, 10:34am
I have a question for you knowledgable breadmakers When you glaze does it take away the dry flour on the outside of the rolls! and what do you glaze with! I made some rolls and my son said Mum you put to much flour in it didn't cook on the outside. hehe.

juliewn, Jan 28, 5:53am
Hi lbell. When I transfer the dough from the bowl onto the floured surface, I kind of roll the dough out of the bowl onto the floured surface, so the underside sticky side of the dough ends up on the bottom, against the flour. The top then doesn't have any flour on it. I press the dough out gently with my hands, without using flour, so the top stays flour free. As I pick up each piece of dough to shape it for rolls, etc. I have my fingers apart, and slightly toss the piece of dough in my hand, with the floured side down - the flour falls onto the board through my fingers, so any surplus comes off, and there's none on the outside to show after the rolls are cooked. Hope this helps. please ask if I can help further. Cheers. Julie

juliewn, Jan 28, 5:54am
Thanks Uli. am looking forward to seeing your recipes. have not made this type of bread before. Cheers. Julie

caroline66, Jan 28, 8:12am
Hi Uli I have just finished making a rye sourdough starter (first attempt).Made the bread this afternoon as per the recipe I have and then it said to let sit for 4-12 hours to rise.Mine has been sitting since 10am but has barely risen.Not sure if I've done something wrong.Put it in the oven anyway and will see what comes out!Will look forward to your recipe when you have time.

245sam, Jan 31, 3:13am
Hi again Peter, the only breadmaker recipe book I have is the one that came with our Panasonic breadmaker and because we find that grainy breads do not generally agree with us we mainly have white flour based breads which the following one is but I can assure you that it is a nice bread and, of course, it does have some 'hidden' extra fibre in the form of the oatbran.

OATBRAN AND SUNFLOWER SEED BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
400g white flour
50g each ofoat branandsunflower seeds
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp each ofbutterandmilk powder
1 tsp salt
340ml water

This recipe and any others that I will post for you have the ingredients listed in the order in which they should be placed in a Panasonic breadmaker - your Sunbeam, and any other make/brand, may differ so it's best to check your breadmaker's manual for the correct order.:-))

245sam, Jan 31, 3:33am
the following recipes are all personally untested.

MIXED GRAIN BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
300g white flour
100g wholemeal flour
50g each ofoatmealandbuckwheat groats
30g cornmeal
1 tbsp each ofwhole linseeds,toasted sunflower seedsand
brown sugar
1 tsp salt
360ml water

KIBBLED WHEAT AND PUMPKIN KERNEL BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
350g white flour
150g wholemeal flour
50g each ofkibbled wheatandpumpkin seeds
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
360ml water

SOY AND LINSEED BREAD
3 tsp Surebake yeast
300g white flour
100g wholemeal flour
50g each ofsoy flourandground linseed
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
360ml water

uli, Feb 1, 12:54am
Huh - by now it is too late to tell you that you need to add a bit of yeast, the brick would have been baked by now. Sorry for not checking in earlier. A fresh sourdough is going sour rather quickly. However the yeasts will need longer to get strong enough to raise the bread. So in the beginning it is advisable to add some yeast until the sourdough is getting a bit older and better. Sorry to take so long to respond!

uli, Feb 1, 12:58am
And also the rising time of 4 to 12 hours is a bit over the top! A sourdough will keep feeding and turning the whole loaf more and more sour until it is baked. So if you leave it foer 12 hours in the heat we are having currently then you have a completely sour bread. it will be as if you have made the bread entirely out of sourdough! This is why you need to add a bit of yeast in the beginning so you can bake it earlier before it all goes sour. So here the first simple recipe:

uli, Feb 1, 1:00am
Pure Rye sourdough bread 1kg Rye flour,
1kg sourdough (remember to keep a bit!),
0,5 l warm water (or maybe a bit less or more depending on the consistency of the dough),
1 Tsp (=25 g) salt.
If wished you can add:
1-2Tsp of any of the following (or mixed): Cardamom, Caraway seeds, aniseed, fennel seeds.

For a young sourdough like yours I would recommend to add some yeast to the warm water to
make sure it will rise enough. After keeping and feeding the sourdough for a while it should have
enough yeast itself to rise your bread but for the first few attempts its a good idea to give it a bit
of a hand. Mix all together in a big bowl and knead with your hands. It will be very sticky (due to
the rye). Leave to rest and rise for about half an hour in a warm place, not longer!

uli, Feb 1, 1:01am
Knead again briefly Knead again briefly and fill dough into two tins which have been greased and floured very well.
Stand in a warm place for up to 3 hours to rise, then bake at 250°C for 20 minutes, then a further
40 to 60 minutes at 180°C. Bread should pull in a bit from the sides of the tin and should sound
hollow when tapped. Run a knife around the sides of the tin and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Then you should really wait for at least 24 hours until you cut it, as it will be very sticky if you cut
it too early. In case you haven't got that much sourdough available just half or even quarter the
recipe above so you can give it a try this weekend. As you will be adding some yeast anyway you
can also use a bit of wheat flour if you have not enough rye. Good luck!

uli, Feb 1, 1:06am
Rye bread does not need to be kneaded as vigorously as wheat flour bread. The structure of the rye bread is not derived from the gluten as is the case in wheat breads. For that reason it is enough to simply mix the dough in a bowl and then transfer it into a tin to bake. That way it can also be kept wetter than if you try and bake it as a loaf on a baking sheet. I usually use freshly milled wholemeal flour. If you do not haveflour mill you can buy this at good health food shops who will get it from the wholesalers in Auckland or Tauranga.

uli, Feb 1, 1:11am
Sourdough Potato Bread 10g dry yeast,
5 1/2 - 6 cups flour,
1/4 cup sugar,
2 tsp. salt,
2 big mashed potatoes,
3/4 cup milk,
1 tablespoon soft lard or butter,
1 cup active sourdough.
I use 5 cups wheat wholemeal and 1 cup rye wholemeal for this recipe, but you can even use white flour if you like. The starter must be active, which means you need to take it out of the fridge the day before and feed it twice or three times some lukewarm water and flour so it is bubbling away waiting for you to use it next morning in the bread.

uli, Feb 1, 1:18am
In large bowl In large bowl combine the flours and make a well in the centre.
Into the well put the yeast, sugar, and milk.
When bubbly add the sourdough and stir through.
Now add the salt, mashed potato and fat.

Mix with your hands in the bowl, check if it needs a bit of lukewarm water.

Knead dough on floured surface until smooth (5-20 min.) adding flour to prevent sticking.

Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (1 1/2 - 2 hrs.).
Knead briefly and divide in half.

Shape each half into a smooth ball and place each on a lightly greased baking sheet.
With a sharp knife, cut slashes in the tops of loaves in any pattern you like.

Cover loaves and let rise until almost doubled (45 min.)
Brush loaves with water and bake in preheated 250 degree C oven for about 35 min. or until
loaves are richly browned.
Let cool on racks.
Makes 2 large loaves.