Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 48 / 54
juliewn, Dec 22, 12:12am
Keep adding flour and kneading till you have a smooth and not sticky ball of dough. Carry on with the recipe from there. and bake as per the recipe also. I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.ps. mashed kumara or potato would be good this way also. I hope this helps. Enjoy your goodies.

juliewn, Dec 22, 12:14am
Hi again. I think I would add a little more salt. . this would give a better flavour with the pumpkin added. You could also add grated cheese into the mix before adding flour to the initial part - or top with grated cheese / sesame seeds / rolled oats / pumpkin seeds / sunflower seeds, etc. I think your bread will taste very good. Let us know how you get on. Cheers. Julie

juliewn, Dec 26, 5:32am
Bumping for Christmas cooking. :-)

bunny51, Dec 27, 7:40am
bumping for pennyo There will be lots here for you to try

fernoux, Dec 28, 9:15am
Kumara Bread Hi Julie do yu have a reciept for kumara bread, would you cook the kumara first or grate it into the dough. Many thanks for your bread reciepts have used them and enjoyed the end product many times

juliewn, Dec 28, 10:16am
Hi Fernoux. I'm glad you've enjoyed the recipes - it's lovely to know that - thankyou. :-) For a Kumara bread, I would make it as I've posted for the pumpkin bread in post 352 - boiling or baking the kumara first, then mashing it well till smooth and adding it as I've posted above about the pumpkin. You could grate the cooked Kumara into the mix also - I'd grate cooked Kumara - not raw - and that would give the bread an extra texture. Some herbs or finely sliced onionmight add a flavour boost to the kumara also. I think it would be good to increase the salt in the recipe too. maybe mix the kumara into the mix, then taste it - add extra salt till a little saltier than to your taste - as you've got around 4 cups of flour more to add to the mix, and that will balance the extra saltiness. Give it a try - and it would be great to hear how you like it. I think the result would be very tasty. Have fun creating a special bread. Kind thoughts. Julie

juliewn, Dec 28, 10:30am
ps. I was just thinking.,. some chopped bacon or ham, and finely chopped red capsicum and onion would be lovely with kumara. You could also make a pinwheel type roll - roll out the dough into a large rectangle with kumara mixed into the dough - Top with chopped onion, capsicum, etc. and some grated cheese. Brush one long side of the roll with water - or use wet fingertips to dampen the edge. Roll up into a tightly rolled spiral. Cut crosswise into individual rolls, place them separately on baking paper lined baking trays and cover and leave to rise as per the recipe.

juliewn, Dec 28, 10:31am
Pull-apart breads are very popular. Once you've rolled up the dough and filling, you could also lift it onto a baking paper lined oven tray. Now cut through the roll with a knife, leaving the roll intact. Then keeping the inside edges of the rolls together, take each end of the roll around to meet the other end, to form a circle or oval with an opening in the centre. Cover and rise till doubled in size, and bake as per the recipe. This will give an interesting and great tasting pull-apart bread. Enjoy. :-)

juliewn, Dec 28, 10:33am
ps. a teaspoon of dry mustard added with the flour in the first stage of making the bread - before adding the warm water - enhances the flavour ofcheese when making bread or scones. Have fun creating your very own wonderful breads and goodies.

jenna68, Dec 28, 7:22pm
v. v

fernoux, Dec 28, 7:31pm
Thanks a bunch Thank you so much am going to try the Kumara bread today and will let you know how it turns out

fernoux, Dec 29, 5:16am
Results of Kumara Bread Have made two lots of kumara bread today one julie's way and one in the bread maker both were excellent the nice smooth texture and wonderful taste. In the bread maker I used 2 med large kumara and the taste is great could have done with more kumara, the hand way I had more control over it and used 3 kumara this is to die for am hooked on the bread. Used white flour as that is all I had in the cupboard but will experiment with other vegs but no more plain bread for me I did what Julie recommeded and mixed it with the water. Many thanks again Julie would not have been quite so brave before, will post other loaves I have made from time to time

juliewn, Dec 29, 10:12am
Hi. that's great your bread came out so well. I'll try making it myself too. I hadn't thought of using kumara as part of the dough before your suggestion. Thanks again - and we'll look forward to seeing any other goodies you create. Have the best 2008. :-) Julie

misterperfect, Dec 30, 2:24am
another bump bump

dcon, Dec 30, 11:21pm
Have cut-and-pasted several recipes, hopefully I'll get to try them over the weekend. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

jam-sam, Dec 31, 11:04pm
Hi everyone. does anyone happen to have a potato bread recipe. I used to have an old recipe book from my granny that had a boston bun recipe made with potato and it was super yummy.Ive skimmed through the thread but didnt see one. I may have missed it though.

juliewn, Jan 1, 6:56am
Bumping to save this thread. and Happy New Year Everyone. :-)

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:57am
Hi. there are often requests here for bread recipes; for new and different recipes to make in a bread machine, and for handmade old favourites, Naan bread and Pita Bread and Panini, Filled Breads, Pizza dough, Hot Cross Buns, etc.etc. Would you like to add your specialties to this thread! :-) I hope you like these recipes for some of my favourites.The first posts are for the only bread dough I make now, after trying many others - it's easy to make and I use this successfully for many recipes,

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:57am
From this recipe, I make a range of breads - from loaves baked in loaf pans, Vienna type loaves, rolls of many shapes and sizes - from baked in any size muffin pans to long plaited rolls, small or large buns of any shape, hamburger buns, etc.I also use it for bases for Pizza; for Pita, for Panini's, for Naan, for loaves or rolls to fill and bake, or cook in an electric grill. Make the loaves flat, and brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and sliced olives or herbs for Foccacia. Add olives, grated cheese, seeds, sundried tomatoes, sliced caramelised onions,etc., to the dough. or decorate the top of loaves or rolls with these before baking.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:58am
Add a little sugar and some spices and currants or other dried fruit to make fruit buns. and add crosses for Hot Cross Buns. You can ice them for Iced Buns, or make a larger style loaf and ice it and top with sprinkled coconut for a Sally Lunn. Roll it out and spread with a mix of melted butter with brown sugar, cinnamon and sultanas and roll it up, slice it to make spirals, and bake it to make Caramel Buns. Ice that for Chelsea Buns. the options are endless. Hope you give them a try. I'm looking forward to seeing lot's of favourite recipes added. Cheers. Julie.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:58am
Bread dough: Place 2 cups flour (I use high grade), 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 2 slightly rounded tablespoons of Surebake yeast in a bowl. Stir together. Add 2 cups tepid (hand temperature) water and whisk till smooth - it's a thickish batter. Leave to stand covered for a few minutes. Add around 4 cups more of flour, using a wooden spoon at first to stir it in, then your hands to begin the kneading process, as you add enough flour to form a firm and not sticky dough. Keep kneading until the dough bounces back after you push a fingertip lightly into it to form a hollow.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:59am
Turn the dough so the smooth side is uppermost, and place it back in the bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel, and stand in a warmish place for about 15 minutes. You can use a hot water cupboard, the top of a stove where the oven is going, or a bed or cabinet etc that has sun shining on it. Keep pets away! During that standing time, the dough will rise. Use your hand to push it down, then knead lightly, and place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll or press out into a flattish oval or square. I make this about 2-3cm thick.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:59am
Shape as you want for bread or rolls -
suggestions follow. Place in pans or on trays, and cover, and leave to rise till double in size (except for Pizza, or for Pita or Naan bread - see below for these). Bake at 230°C till golden brown and the loaf or rolls sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven. Cool uncovered for a crisper crust. Cool covered for a softer crust. Brush with warm water and cool uncovered for a chewier finish. Enjoy.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:00am
Variations: Replace 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour with wholemeal, rye, mixed grain flour, etc.or with cornmeal, rye meal, etc. Make as above.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:00am
Rolls: Cut into the size pieces you want for rolls, and knead each piece lightly, turning the edges under to form smooth edges. Make whatever shape and size you want. Place on a greased or baking paper lined baking tray that is slightly warm. Or place the balls of dough into lightly sprayed muffin pans, small pie dishes or other tins/containers. Continue shaping the rolls - you'll get about 2 standard size (not the sometimes smaller size trays some modern ovens have) oven trays of rolls.